• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Leave a republican alone long enough and he'll come up with a stupid idea, (and find a democrat to back his idiotic play). Here's H.R. 3035, that would allow robot calls to your cell phone. No doubt it will also allow politicians to make them to you, too. Just another bit of lunacy from the usual suspects. You might want to drop a line to your rep and tell them to oppose this nonsense, even if their campaign manager thinks it's a good idea.

Read The Bill: H.R. 3035 - GovTrack.us

Bill Introduced To Let Robots Call Your Cellphone - The Consumerist

(Look at the list of supporters for this. That tells you more than you need to know).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Only if they're going to reimburse me for the minutes they use on my cellphone plan. I pay $5.00/minute and I plan to listen to every second of their robot call.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    From what I heard on the radio this morning this very issue was brought to the attention of one of the high courts of our land. The state involved had tried to outlaw such calls but the higher court overturned it because federal law allows it and they said that no state law shall pre-empt a federal law.

I'm sorry I don't have clearer information than that because until the last sentence I was only half-heartedly paying attention. The last sentence stuck out in my mind because a story I read, I believe here on INGO yesterday was talking about how the New York state constitutional requirement to show cause for having a handgun permit was found to be legal because it was in their constitution. HUH?

Isn't that the same as saying a state law, New Yorks constitution, pre-empts federal law, The Constitution of the United States? Something which they said couldn't be done in the robot call case!

When I get home later I'll try to find more info on both stories so those who understand things like that better than I can explain to the rest of us how that isn't "do as I say, not as I do", or some other such nonsense!:xmad:

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    The reason for this is obvious. Many people have given up land line phones and are going only with cell phone service. Pols want to be sure they can call these people and make sure to harass them into voting for them. It's all about getting the vote.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Sent my congressman an email.
    My personal opinion is that it won't make it out of committee. The buttheads who proposed it can say they tried to their banking and telecom buddies and we'll all go home happy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Fred Upton is the Rep for the portion of Michigan north of South Bend. I sent a news tip to one of the SB TV stations. I am sure Fred would want his constituents to know the devoted service he is providing them.

Top Bottom