• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Really bummed to hear this. I had the opportunity to go there for the first time just a few weeks ago and I was rather impressed with the range. Hopefully they will get it up and running without too much trouble

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Been teaching an NRA class all day, so just catching up with this thread.

I hope they do have this mope in custody and charge him to the fullest extent of the law. I may work for a different range, but the firearms community is tight and we have to look out for each other.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    What law did he break ? It was an accident due to ignorance .. Things like this happen to idiots. As terrible as it is what law was broken ? I'm not defending him just curious.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What law did he break ? It was an accident due to ignorance .. Things like this happen to idiots. As terrible as it is what law was broken ? I'm not defending him just curious.

If this was done with intent there are several laws he broke. Most idiots will stop when they see fire. Even those dropped on their heads for sport as children.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I kinda wondered this as well. If it was clearly intentional it's one thing, but I can't see the "BATF having him in custody" for being a dumbass if it was an accident.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I'd say arson for starters, after willfully discharging 30 tracer rounds indoors. Reckless endangerment, attempted murder. Door is wide open.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And the fun begins...

:popcorn:

No trolling or fun, I honestly wondered this as well. I suppose it could be some kind of "criminal negligence", but I'd bet the tracers hadn't even lit yet in the 25yds between the line and the backstop. The shooter may not have had any idea what he'd done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No trolling or fun, I honestly wondered this as well. I suppose it could be some kind of "criminal negligence", but I'd bet the tracers hadn't even lit yet in the 25yds between the line and the backstop. The shooter may not have had any idea what he'd done.

If description runs true to the tell he knew.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I thought it was said upthread that they had him on tape continuing to fire until the rubber actually started to flame? And that it had started smoking prior to that. If that is indeed captured on the tape, then I'd say that intent would probably be pretty easy to prove.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    There were 20+ people in there when the fire started. If anyone had been trapped or killed, well.... I'm not a prostituter, er, prosecutor, but if they really wanted to make the mope's life miserable, they could.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I thought it was said upthread that they had him on tape continuing to fire until the rubber actually started to flame? And that it had started smoking prior to that. If that is indeed captured on the tape, then I'd say that intent would probably be pretty easy to prove.

And.....with intent comes a slew of charges as it was in an open/operating/occupied business.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Of he set it with intent on an occupied building I can see this charge on the initial list. If it sticks is 1 thing but fire is a Biatch.

I would guess that it would be closer to voluntary manslaughter than murder. Or at least that's where it would end up after the plea bargain. Maybe less.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If description runs true to the tell he knew.

We'll have to see how it plays out I suppose. There seems to be a lot of speculation and one third-hand account that seems iffy on the details.

It's a horrible situation for BFG of course, and I wish them the best in putting things back together. I think its a bit early to call for crucifixion.

Top Bottom