• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Great come back!! Australia does, however, serve as a warning to us what can happen even in a country that has a rich history of gun ownership. Their Outback wasn't so very different from our American West. Same tradition of gun owning cowboys, although I don't think they were called "cowboys". But anyway, look what happened when liberals came into power. Very sad.

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Whether it is fake or not, there is certainly something to be taken from it. This line of argument, slightly modified, can be used to counter liberal arguments in regards to youth and firearms. One could ask said person how sex education should be handled and if condoms should be readily available to young people. If they answer in the affirmative, then one can readily ask if one is not teaching and encouraging children to engage in risky and dangerous behavior that has real and certain consequences. By extrapolating and using the line of argumentation employed by the other person one could feasible say that sex education and the availability of condoms could possibly lead to a life of prostitution (I readily admit that this is highly unlikely, but so is the chance that a young person trained to responsibly use firearms is going to turn into a violent person and engage in violent behavior). Certainly, there are probably some areas of weakness in my argumentation (I put this together in two minutes), but it is a start and maybe something to be taken from this scenario. Thoughts?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Whether it is fake or not, there is certainly something to be taken from it. This line of argument, slightly modified, can be used to counter liberal arguments in regards to youth and firearms. One could ask said person how sex education should be handled and if condoms should be readily available to young people. If they answer in the affirmative, then one can readily ask if one is not teaching and encouraging children to engage in risky and dangerous behavior that has real and certain consequences. By extrapolating and using the line of argumentation employed by the other person one could feasible say that sex education and the availability of condoms could possibly lead to a life of prostitution (I readily admit that this is highly unlikely, but so is the chance that a young person trained to responsibly use firearms is going to turn into a violent person and engage in violent behavior). Certainly, there are probably some areas of weakness in my argumentation (I put this together in two minutes), but it is a start and maybe something to be taken from this scenario. Thoughts?

Sounds great to me; but trying explaining it to the sheeple standing in front of you bleating "guns are baaaaaaaaaad, guns are baaaaaaaaaad."

Let me know how it goes; honestly, I do wish you luck, but unfortunately, logical arguments seem to hold no sway in their world....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I think, this is GREAT, read it a while ago, don't really remember, how long..... NEVER, heard, that it was false, but, I guess we have to believe snopes .....

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Sounds great to me; but trying explaining it to the sheeple standing in front of you bleating "guns are baaaaaaaaaad, guns are baaaaaaaaaad."

Let me know how it goes; honestly, I do wish you luck, but unfortunately, logical arguments seem to hold no sway in their world....

Certainly there are individuals who will not pay attention to ones arguments no matter how nuanced they are. However, nuanced and well reasoned thinkers and arguments are direly needed by those that lean to the right. Conservatives need to focus on repudiating the sentiment that they are anti-intellectual knuckleheads that regurgitate pat answers and arguments. For conservatives to be successful and taken seriously we need to scale the ivory tower and reclaim it as a domain in which our ideas are taken seriously. This will require a dedication to developing and employing critical thinking skills that draw upon a broad range of disciplines.

Top Bottom