• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You have to keep in mind the price as well. Myself, I'm glad they suck out of the box. If they made it to a higher standard, it'd be more expensive. They cost $200 out the door brand new. I don't expect any $200 brand new firearm to perform 100% out of the box.

The cheap price lets me customize it and tweak it exactly how I want and allows me to put my money where I see fit.

If all you want is it to run well, be accurate, and have a good trigger, all you have to do is send it to CPC, and for $150ish, it'll run like a champ and be more accurate than you are. At that point, you're $350 in to the rifle, and it will outrun anything on the market that can be found for $350.

My only complaint is that Ruger's quality in regards to fit and finish isn't what it used to be.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Legit priced bolt rifles savage ruger then cz. Semi autos ruger 1022, marlin 795. Mp15-22 most these set ups will be 2 moa or better. The bolt actions will be better. Who knows if thats just because they are more accurate or if a bolt action causes you to slow down a bit and focus on the fundamentals.

Get a solid rifle. Check out a lot. Pick the one that suits you best. Then get some ammo and get a good class or two in. Reevers's Riders is a heck of a program for about as cheap as you can find.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...2 moa... The bolt actions will be better. Who knows if thats just because they are more accurate or if a bolt action causes you to slow down a bit and focus on the fundamentals.

Me. As a general statement, bolt rifles are legitimately more precise, at least when compared to an equal price point automatic.

As another general statement, I can shoot a good bolt .22 at 1+ round per second and shoot terrible groups. It surely doesn't force much "slowing down" for truly aimed fire, but the shooter's bolt operation has to become fluid, minimalist in it's required movement, and I daresay, "automatic". There's an old saying that bolt gunners 'of a certain age' occasionally toss around at young(er) self-load rifle shooters something like: "You might shoot better scores in rapid fire if you weren't waiting around for that black rifle to chamber another round."

We just laugh and shrug it off, but many of us are secretly watching their bolt operation from the corner of our eye, trying to figure out how they shoot so well and so fast.

-Nate

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    You have to keep in mind the price as well. Myself, I'm glad they suck out of the box. If they made it to a higher standard, it'd be more expensive. They cost $200 out the door brand new. I don't expect any $200 brand new firearm to perform 100% out of the box.

The cheap price lets me customize it and tweak it exactly how I want and allows me to put my money where I see fit.

If all you want is it to run well, be accurate, and have a good trigger, all you have to do is send it to CPC, and for $150ish, it'll run like a champ and be more accurate than you are. At that point, you're $350 in to the rifle, and it will outrun anything on the market that can be found for $350.

This is good advice. The previously mentioned CZ452 Lux or ultra Lux from 20+ years ago, if you can find one, is worthy of consideration?

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Vintage Marlin 39A
    Vintage Marlin 60
    Ruger American Rimfire

I own two out of the three. If anyone has a spare 39A lying around, I'd take it off of your hands. :D

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    CZ455 Varmint. Had mine cut down and threaded and it is sitting in a Boyds Tacticool stock. Warne 11mm rings and a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x

CZ455 Bushnell 3200 10x.jpg

Attachments

• CZ455 Bushnell 3200 10x INGO.jpg
      CZ455 Bushnell 3200 10x INGO.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 6

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Nice rifle, Taylor. I only have 1 small pro-tip: pin the wrist of that stock now rather than fix it later. It's a simple preventative, but can be a real bear to fix LATER after the stock is already cracked.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Shouldn't be too bad...that's a pretty clean action on the bottom. I'd recommend staying well clear of the front of the mag well housing with your front pillar...ie: pillar it without the housing in, and then relieve the rear 1/3 of the pillar down to a depth that is 0.050" below that front mag screw.

For the wrist, if you're using Devcon 10110 putty, just glom as much as you can into the bottom of the hole down the wrist, then shmear it all over the 1/4" or 3/8" piece of all-thread, and shove the all-thread in so that the goop doesn't have air pockets. Clean up all you can, but leave a ~0.250" "cap" of epoxy over the end of the metal rod up just proud of the level of the factory inlet. You can then sand it flush with a dowel to create an invisible-ish finished product. I would do all this before I did my pillars.

If, on the other hand, you will be using LIQUID Devcon 10210, then you might just POUR a column into the wrist instead. That would be super easy.

But the putty is a helluva lot easier to pillar with.

-Nate

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Without spending more than $300 I would stick with Ruger. Either the 10/22 or the American .22 compact or full size for bolt action. All of them use the same magazines, same scope mounts too I believe. Should be able to stay under $250 on all three.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Wife picked up a Marlin 80 I was eyeballing on an auction page in Shipshewana for 100 bucks. Bolt action, original 12R peep sight, and 7 rd mag. I was getting a decent group at 25 yds once she got it home and she gave it to me. Can be found online for under 175 and very easy to work on. There are some mods on rimfire central to lighten the trigger, and finding spare parts isn't too bad as there isn't much to really go wrong with these.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Brett, there are so many fun .22's out there in every price range you can think of.

The Marlin model 60 (semi-auto, tube fed) is definitely on the low end cost-wise (~$180), but shoots great. Probably limited to LR ammo with velocities similar to mini mags or faster if you want 100% feeding (probably the same goes for most semi-auto .22's). The Ruger 10/22 is a very popular one as well (~$250).

For Lever action .22's, I am huge fan of Henry. Buttery smooth action and very accurate. I own the Goldenboy (~$450), but they also make a basic blued one that is very nice for the price (~$325). The Marlin 39A is a fun lever action .22 if you can find one (~$500).

Bolt action: Marlin makes a decent bolt action for the entry level price (Xt-22 ~$200). Savage makes an entry level model (model 93 ~$300) and the Ruger American in .22 i have heard is nice as well (~$300). A great looking and great shooting bolt action that is reasonably priced is a CZ 455 (~$400). Ruger makes a nice looking one as well, model 77/22 (~$750).

I'm sure I am leaving out some pretty popular .22's, but these are all ones that I own or have shot and wouldn't mind owning.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom