Beretta Compact Carry 2-has anyone got one yet? Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I have read about the earlier version and the Landon tactical version. At Shot Show, Beretta showed the second version. I have always wanted to try one but have never seen one in a gun store. For that matter, I have never shot a DA/SA pistol either but I think I would like the added safety of a longer heavier first trigger pull for a carry pistol.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The PX4 is a great gun. That said, I was kinda disappointed with these new releases. They basically just added some LTT goodies that were already available to the factory gun, and grip tape.

The biggest complaint that I and many other have about the PX4 is the lack of texture on the grips. Instead of adding grip tape to the package (which is basically admitting that your factory grip texture sucks), why not change the grip texture so you don't need the tape?

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The PX4 is a great gun. That said, I was kinda disappointed with these new releases. They basically just added some LTT goodies that were already available to the factory gun, and grip tape.

The biggest complaint that I and many other have about the PX4 is the lack of texture on the grips. Instead of adding grip tape to the package (which is basically admitting that your factory grip texture sucks), why not change the grip texture so you don't need the tape?

Their rep over on P-F said they didn’t make any changes to the grip because they have quite a few contracts for them throughout the world so they’d have to run two different production lines. One would remain as a “Gen1” to fulfill said contracts, and the other for the “Gen2.” They do plan an update at some point, but not yet.

Honestly, much as I’d like that, I’m running the tape until I can swing a stipple job for mine. They’re worth it. ;)

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

You can get the two new guns without the LTT tarting up.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You can get the two new guns without the LTT tarting up.

I don't mind the Langdon stuff...it's actually pretty great. My problem is that Beretta put basically no effort into these "new" versions...they just incorporated a couple of things that Langdon was already offering into the factory gun, and called it the "2". And their answer to the biggest shortcoming of the platform (grip texture) was to throw some grip tape in the box. As @Basher said, that may be because they don't want to alter production due to existing contracts, but IMO it's still a lazy attempt at a upgrade. I know molds are expensive, but they could have done some kind of laser etching or something...there are other solutions.

I like the PX4 and was hoping to see some significant upgrades to the design when they announced a new release. The way that trigger group is designed, and with the Beretta slide-mounted decocker, it would be pretty easy to turn it into a modular grip module/FCU setup a-la the P320, that would provide all kinds of options to the end user that aren't currently available anywhere in a DA/SA handgun. The slide could also stand to lose some mass, and the trigger take-up could be reduced. Along with a re-designed grip these are the things I was looking for in a Gen 2 release.

Instead, Beretta gave us a heavy barrel full-size competition gun, which I have no interest in, some upgrades that were already available from LTT, and Talon grip tape. It's just lazy.

I'm sure the "new" guns are very nice. Like I said, I like the PX4, and they didn't change it much. Langdon also makes really nice stuff. I was just hoping to see something truly innovative in the new release, and what they came up with is not that.

Top Bottom