• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I had a weird thought while I was leaving the polls today. Whenever I'm thinking about a contentious issue, I try to put myself in the other person's shoes. So, as we will probably witness a bit of a swing back toward the conservative side in this election cycle, it got me to thinking about what it's like for each side to lose ground in an election.

For the sake of argument, I'm simplifying the sides down to liberty-minded people versus statists. One group believes in individual liberty and personal responsibility, while the other sees answers in bigger government. Let's look at what each side forfeits when "their guy loses".

People like me who cherish liberty generally believe that the government is the worst imaginable steward of money. We also tend to value personal responsibility more than government intervention. So when the pendulum swings toward the statist side, we feel pain because we can't stop the growth of entitlements and porkulus, as government spending grows and grows. We can't just stop paying taxes without going to jail; we can't take a small portion of our social security "investment" and place it in a market index fund; and we can't stop the government from bailing out failed companies. If the statist politicians pass more restrictive guns laws, law-abiding citizens must choose between becoming a criminal or giving up our ability to protect ourselves. In short, we give up a lot!

But on the flip side, think how great progressives have it. When (if) the pendulum swings to the liberty side of things, progressives probably don't feel the same sense of loss. They can still practice their big-government progressivism on their own dime. Despite not being forced to pay higher taxes, they're free to write checks to the U.S. government to keep entitlement checks rolling out to the masses. (I assume that the IRS will accept voluntary contributions.) They can write huge checks to the NEA to fund art, and to the Department of Education so it can keep dumbing down our schools and wresting control away from the local citizens. Liberals can cash in all their IRAs and 401ks, and then write a big fat check to Uncle Sam for safe keeping until they retire, knowing that the gov will do what it does best. Or they can send all that hard-earned money to bail out failed companies with poor business models... they don't need to wait for the government to declare a bailout. Heck, most of them probably don't own guns, so that's not even an issue... they can continue to rely on others to protect them. In short, they don't have to give up a darned thing.

I guess my point is this: Progressives can still practice their statist ways, regardless of whether the government actually requires it of them. So surely, out of a sense of duty and honesty, they do all these things on their own... right?

This was my thought for the day.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The few relatives of mine that are progressives do not seem to suffer as much personal angst as they do angst for "it not being fair" in life. Everyone should make the same salary. Everyone should work the same hours. Everyone should be able to take off the next six years to raise their newborn. Everyone should pay more taxes to raises benefits for everyone.

Everyone, everyone, everyone.''

My statements are "I" statements. I - me- my.

I don't want to pay as many taxes.
    I want to be rich and not pay a sizable chunk of it to the .gov.
    I want to exercise my rights.
    Etc.

And my relatives tell me that I am selfish while they are giving and caring of their fellow man.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Blue Tile.. are these people doing any work themselves or do they gain more by the handouts then they lose by the taking from others.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Both. A couple have mediocre jobs ($6.00-$10.00/hr), a couple have good jobs ($10.00/hr and up) and some of them are on food stamps, section 8, etc. None are unemployed right now, but two of them have had adult children (20's-30's) that have been unemployed periodically over the last decade.

That's probably clear as mud, eh? I'm tired. :)

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Both. A couple have mediocre jobs ($6.00-$10.00/hr), a couple have good jobs ($10.00/hr and up) and some of them are on food stamps, section 8, etc. None are unemployed right now, but two of them have had adult children (20's-30's) that have been unemployed periodically over the last decade.

That's probably clear as mud, eh? I'm tired. :)

Exact opposite of my family with only a couple of progressives.:n00b:

Makes you go mmmmmmmm.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Lets be realistic though, they never do pay more voluntarily in extra taxes. Prog's take advantage of every tax break they decry (much as Con's do govt programs). They want the gov to take YOUR money. Their contribution is always on the "education" side.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The few relatives of mine that are progressives do not seem to suffer as much personal angst as they do angst for "it not being fair" in life. Everyone should make the same salary. Everyone should work the same hours. Everyone should be able to take off the next six years to raise their newborn. Everyone should pay more taxes to raises benefits for everyone.

Everyone, everyone, everyone.''

My statements are "I" statements. I - me- my.

I don't want to pay as many taxes.
    I want to be rich and not pay a sizable chunk of it to the .gov.
    I want to exercise my rights.
    Etc.

And my relatives tell me that I am selfish while they are giving and caring of their fellow man.

Progressives are a funny bunch. They actually don't want to see everyone succeed. They only want to see themselves succeed, but they want to do it on someone else's dime.

A progressive would have ZERO issue with being rich, as long as they didn't have to work for it. They'd also pitch a huge **** fit if they only got to keep half of their lotto check.

Progressives very much so believe in I, Me, and My

You should pay my taxes, you should provide me with employment, you should provide as much as I want.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Progressives fall into the two camps.

The first are the kids that never got picked to play kickball. The never made the football team or cheerleading squad. They didn't have sex with the pretty girls in high school. It wasn't fair that they were littler and weaker. It wasn't fair that someone else had toys they didn't have. They have made it their life's mission to make life fair and equal for all.

The second group are the achievers that did all those things but are self loathing. They don't realize success came because they work hard and feel bad for leap-frogging the lessors. Their life's mission is to ensure that people don't get ahead because of predetermined advantage.

So one group failed to meet the challenge and the other group has a jacked up mental state. Neither wants to lift the less fortunate; only pull the successful down. They're all mentally ill if they think they can level the playing field in any meaningful way.

Some people are smart. Some are dumb. Some are pretty. Some are ugly. Some are thin. Some fat. Tall. Short. This. That. As my good friend Don Henley said, get over it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    They don't want to level the field. They want to level the players.

It's a small difference to some, but a big difference to me.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Progressives are all about lowering the standard for everyone. They use their class warfare to keep the :sheep: under their thumb and they want to tax the middle to drive them down to the poor. It is all about power!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom