• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have been into semi-auto's for as long as I can remember. I always thought wheel guns were cool but, never really cared to own any full size ones. I have got the bug to buy one in the worst way. I would really like to find a decent blue 4in S&W 29 (pre-lock), a Colt Anaconda or a Colt Python. I know I could find a S&W 586 for a decent price but for some reason, I just want a .44 but, would be willing to settle for a .357 for a Python, no one can call a Python settling.

I know I am being pretty picky here but, all of these guns, especially when I am looking for a blued 4in model, are EXPENSIVE. I am not looking to buy it to just put in a safe and worship, I am looking to buy it and shoot the **** out of it!

Does anyone know of a place to pick up a refinished, ugly, or otherwise undesirable aforementioned wheel gun for the cost of a few fingers instead of an arm and a leg?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Look for a used S&W 686, a Taurus 689, Ruger GP 100, or a Dan Wesson 15-2. All of them are in roughly the same price range and you can beat the crap out of them with little worry. If you're talking SUPER CHEAP, $200 gun...man, you're gonna have to settle with a 38 special... With greater power, comes a greater price..

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    People that own the guns you mention typically take pretty good care of them, because they are higher end revolvers. Prices will usually reflect this.

For less money, you could get a Ruger Redhawk, Blackhawk, GP100. etc. and have money left for ammo.

Some kind of Taurus would be less yet

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    A good buddy of mine picked up a Rossi .38 special, 4" barrel for $210 at a gun show earlier in the year. Looks a little rough but shoots great!

+1 for Rossi as a Beater revolver. They arent the prettiest things to begin with so you can beat it and not feel bad, and they have a great rep for reliability and accuracy.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    At the Ft. Harrison show someone had a 4" Colt in .357 for $400. Doesn't help you now but that's a good price on a Colt. As someone mentioned above, the Model 10, S&W 686, or Ruger GP100/SP101 is your best bet.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Taurus model 82 surplus revolvers could fit the bill. I've seen them locally for $150...J&G has them for $169. They're going to have service wear and stuff but should be a solid shooter.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just my $0.02, but I've had one of my Monson-made Dan Wesson M 15-2s for over thirty-five years now and it's still the most consistently accurate revolver that I own. Lord alone knows just how many rds it's seen, but it has to be well into the five-figures by now. it shows some miles on the surface, but nothing has broken, the timing is still spot-on and everything still locks up tightly.

While they are appreciating in value now, they're still very affordable (especially when compared to the M 29s and Pythons you mentioned) and a rock-solid choice in an all around working revolver.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Guess I'm an oddball... I went for a beater in 454 casull and tuned 'er up into a nice little repeating artillery piece.

Still can't manage to blow it up. 250gr XTPs running 38gn of win296 with a cci small rifle magnum primer. Don't try this at home. Wish I had a chrono, those are brisk.

Older rugers are really the way to go IMO, they are tanks.

3GGRq.jpg

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    If you don't mind my asking...what is your total $$ on the finished beater pistol here? I would love a Super Redhawk .454 Casull, I just can't seem to find one under $600...

Nice looking pistol, BTW. :D

Guess I'm an oddball... I went for a beater in 454 casull and tuned 'er up into a nice little repeating artillery piece.

Still can't manage to blow it up. 250gr XTPs running 38gn of win296 with a cci small rifle magnum primer. Don't try this at home. Wish I had a chrono, those are brisk.

Older rugers are really the way to go IMO, they are tanks.

3GGRq.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    yeah, but good luck finding ammo to feed it!

People shoot just about any 32 caliber rimed rounds out of their Nagant revovlers with no ill effects.

Privi partisan 32 Long is $13 per 50 - equivalent to 9mm.

OR, you could shoot the real deal stuff for $4.50 per 14:
    7.62 Nagant Russian Surplus 108gr FMJ, 14rd Box.

Crono tests on this stuff show that it's significantly more powerful than the weak-ass stuff sold by PPU and 'Hot Shot'.

Armed with proper ammo, the Nagant is actually a decent weapon.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    The sp101 is avail in 357....no 44. The 357's are a dime a dozen...even the older ones...327's no one wants, 22's are expensive, and 9mm if u can find one is outrageous.

jpittman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    South side Indy
    I picked up a S&W 66-1 (.357 magnum, 4 in., pinned and recessed) for $350 in good shape at an auction recentlly. Great gun. Price seemed reasonable for the quality of the gun.

Top Bottom