• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Fed code states refusal a $100 infraction; providing false information, $500 infraction.

However: subsequent federal code raised maximum on all infraction fines to $5,000 unless the part of code defining the infraction also includes exemption from this upper limit with specific reference to the code raising the upper limit....in a nutshell :D

As far as Criminal Trespass is concerned:
    IC 35-43-2-2
    Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
    (2) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally refuses to leave the real property of another person after having been asked to leave by the other person or that person's agent;
    (3) accompanies another person in a vehicle, with knowledge that the other person knowingly or intentionally is exerting unauthorized control over the vehicle;
    (4) knowingly or intentionally interferes with the possession or use of the property of another person without the person's consent;
    (5) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the dwelling of another person without the person's consent;
    (6) knowingly or intentionally:
    (A) travels by train without lawful authority or the railroad carrier's consent; and (B) rides on the outside of a train or inside a passenger car, locomotive, or freight car, including a boxcar, flatbed, or container without lawful authority or the railroad carrier's consent;
    (7) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters or refuses to leave the property of another person after having been prohibited from entering or asked to leave the property by a law enforcement officer when the property is:
    (A) vacant or designated by a municipality or county enforcement authority to be abandoned property; and
    (B) subject to abatement under IC 32-30-6, IC 32-30-7, IC 32-30-8, IC 36-7-9, or IC 36-7-36; or
    (8) knowingly or intentionally enters the property of another person after being denied entry by a court order that has been issued to the person or issued to the general public by conspicuous posting on or around the premises in areas where a person can observe the order when the property:
    (A) has been designated by a municipality or county enforcement authority to be a vacant property or an abandoned property; and
    (B) is subject to an abatement order under IC 32-30-6, IC 32-30-7, IC 32-30-8, IC 36-7-9, or IC 36-7-36;
    commits criminal trespass, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if it is committed on a scientific research facility, on a key facility, on a facility belonging to a public utility (as defined in IC 32-24-1-5.9(a)), on school property, or on a school bus or the person has a prior unrelated conviction for an offense under this section concerning the same property.
    (b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
    (1) personal communication, oral or written;
    (2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public; or

(3) a hearing authority or court order under IC 32-30-6, IC 32-30-7, IC 32-30-8, IC 36-7-9, or IC 36-7-36.
    (c) A law enforcement officer may not deny entry to property or ask a person to leave a property under subsection (a)(7) unless there is reasonable suspicion that criminal activity has occurred or is occurring.
    (d) A person described in subsection (a)(7) violates subsection (a)(7) unless the person has the written permission of the owner, owner's agent, enforcement authority, or court to come onto the property for purposes of performing maintenance, repair, or demolition.
    (e) A person described in subsection (a)(8) violates subsection (a)(8) unless the court that issued the order denying the person entry grants permission for the person to come onto the property.
    (f) Subsections (a), (b), and (e) do not apply to the following: (1) A passenger on a train.
    (2) An employee of a railroad carrier while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (3) A law enforcement officer, firefighter, or emergency response personnel while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (4) A person going on railroad property in an emergency to rescue a person or animal from harm's way or to remove an object that the person reasonably believes poses an imminent threat to life or limb.
    (5) A person on the station grounds or in the depot of a railroad carrier:
    (A) as a passenger; or
    (B) for the purpose of transacting lawful business.
    (6) A:
    (A) person; or
    (B) person's:
    (i) family member;
    (ii) invitee;
    (iii) employee;
    (iv) agent; or
    (v) independent contractor;
    going on a railroad's right-of-way for the purpose of crossing at a private crossing site approved by the railroad carrier to obtain access to land that the person owns, leases, or operates.
    (7) A person having written permission from the railroad carrier to go on specified railroad property.
    (8) A representative of the Indiana department of transportation while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (9) A representative of the federal Railroad Administration while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (10) A representative of the National Transportation Safety Board while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.3. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.43; P.L.151-1989, SEC.12; P.L.242-1993, SEC.2; P.L.164-1993, SEC.11; P.L.1-1994, SEC.168; P.L.259-1999, SEC.3; P.L.158-2009, SEC.7; P.L.88-2009, SEC.4.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I answered the door OC when the census people came a knockin last year. Poor guy didn't stick around long enough to ask his first question. "hello my name is.......John. I'm.....with the cen.....sus.... Nevermindsirhaveagoodday!" and was gone. I didn't even know what his deal was til I saw my reflection in the glass after I shut the door and saw my xd chillin in my holster. I just laughed to myself and went on with my day

What??? The census is every 10 years. 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020.....

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Ive had a individual come to my door two days in a row .I check my peep hole & dont recognize him so I dont answer the door(hes talking to someone out of sight ).Not a delivery driver but after reading this wondering if it is a Fake census worker .I already sent in my census form ,yesterday he wouldnt go away (knocked on the door for about 4 min.) Thinking if he comes by today to Ill be answering with my beretta (holstered but in ready position) just to see whats up.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I am really quite shocked, to be honest, by the majority of the responses here. Aside from the *fact* that the census is an extremely important thing to do and yeilds invaluable data, and aside from the fact that I personally cannot think of any reason why someone would not want to contribute to it (although I recognize that not everyone shares this view), I find it alarming that so many of you apparently will make every attempt to, and then take joy in, scaring someone by making your gun visible. I'm not talking about OC versus CC, and I'm not talking about being armed if you answer the door (which I always am, by the way). I'm talking about the attitude presented here of 'I can't wait to scare the sh*t out of the census worker by making it clear I have a gun!!!!' , instead of an attitude of 'everytime I answer the door I am carrying my gun, so when the census worker knocks it will be no different and if they happen to get scared well then so be it.' So much for being good representatives of the firemarm/handgun world.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I am friends with the census worker around here. I told him that I will give the same answers that are on the form I sent in, nothing more. He said OK and crossed my name off the list.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    from the news this morning

Those who are wary of giving out any personal information, can ask the census worker to show their official badge. It should have a Department of Commerce watermark. The census taker may also be carrying a bag with a Census Bureau logo. You can also ask them to give you their supervisor's contact information and the number to the local census office to verify that they're the real deal.

they went on to say that the census worker WILL NOT ask to enter your home. They will only do so if the person they are talking to is unable to stand long enough to answer the 10 questions.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I am friends with the census worker around here. I told him that I will give the same answers that are on the form I sent in, nothing more. He said OK and crossed my name off the list.

Since you already sent in the form, why are you on the list?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Since you already sent in the form, why are you on the list?

When the news reported on this, they said if they could not read your answer or completely fill the form out, you will be getting a visit.

They can come visit me if they want. They are not getting the names, SSN, or DOB of any of my kids. All 3 are under 13 and I stated that on the form!

Didn't a the FEDERAL government pass a law saying no organization/business shall collect information on children under the age of 13?

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Dude ,you should see where I live ( south side ,fort wayne).I dont open the door for no one I dont know.I sent in my census paper( which is important ) so there should be no reason for them knocking on my door.My area doesnt start till this monday according to the news ,I just think its a scammer knocking on my door,thats why Im leary

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I filled mine out honestly and sent it in. If they come to my door I will assume they are not census workers unless they have an ID handy. The gun will be close just in case its some idiot casing my place. No worries though i am moving in a month anyways! :D

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Be wary of fake census workers

A fake census worker had better be wary of me or my wife!

Somebody shows up at our home asking for "personal information" i.e. SSN, credit card information, or the like, will be held for authorities, and they are not gonna enjoy the experience. :D

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I am really quite shocked, to be honest, by the majority of the responses here. Aside from the *fact* that the census is an extremely important thing to do and yeilds invaluable data, and aside from the fact that I personally cannot think of any reason why someone would not want to contribute to it (although I recognize that not everyone shares this view), I find it alarming that so many of you apparently will make every attempt to, and then take joy in, scaring someone by making your gun visible. I'm not talking about OC versus CC, and I'm not talking about being armed if you answer the door (which I always am, by the way). I'm talking about the attitude presented here of 'I can't wait to scare the sh*t out of the census worker by making it clear I have a gun!!!!' , instead of an attitude of 'everytime I answer the door I am carrying my gun, so when the census worker knocks it will be no different and if they happen to get scared well then so be it.' So much for being good representatives of the firemarm/handgun world.

They are granted the authority by the Constitution to COUNT people, to find out how many live in congressional districts, SOLELY to determine the number of representatives there shall be in any given state.

To do that, they do NOT need Social Security numbers. Nor do they need the ethnicity of those people. Nor do they need to know how much money those people make. Asking those things is a violation of privacy, and is well beyond their authority.

I will answer the # of people, and may give ages, but that is it. I will be firm, but polite, and if a census worker gets offended at my lack of candor, then so be it. I'm not going to assume some mamby-pamby attitude simply because someone from the government is whining at my doorstep about how I won't give them my SSN, income, or ethnic background.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Google "census worker" and look at news results. It appears the harassment will start this weekend, as soon as tomorrow.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    My next door neighbor is the census worker for my area. :D I just dropped mine in the mail today, and I only responded to 2, maybe 3 questions. I was just outside and she asked me it I sent mine in, which I replied back that I just sent it in today. She just smiled and shook her head back and forth. This next month will be interesting with her!:patriot:

Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    this thread has a lot of posters being called for b.s. whats up with that? come true and correct, no need to lie for ego or pride, i'm pretty sure no cares, but liars are despised...my 2 cents.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dude ,you should see where I live ( south side ,fort wayne).I dont open the door for no one I dont know.I sent in my census paper( which is important ) so there should be no reason for them knocking on my door.My area doesnt start till this monday according to the news ,I just think its a scammer knocking on my door,thats why Im leary
    What street do you live on? I have spent a lot of time mowing yards around that area

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm not really sure how this turned into a census-bashing thread... such is the Internet I suppose. I just wanted to make sure people didn't let their guard down simply because someone said the word "census" when they came to their door.

Whether you will be answering every single question asked, none of the questions asked, or anywhere in between, the point is make sure the person you are talking to is legit. Again, you can do this by checking their identification and contacting their supervisor before answering any (or all, or none, whatever) questions.

Since it's turned to this, I'd also implore those of you who will be OCing when answering the door to be polite and respectful. No, you don't have to be. No, there is no law forcing you to be and it certainly isn't illegal (yet) to yell at them to "Get off my **** property!" You can say whatever you want; we've still got that freedom. Just remember that if you are OCing, you are representing the gun-carrying community. You may very well be the only person they ever see carrying a sidearm. The way you interact with them has the power to forever shape that person's opinion of gun owners. So yell at them if you want, but don't come complaining on INGO later when they're on the news at some point in the future talking about how "People who carry guns are scary!"

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom