• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I visited a local gun shop recently and the owner told me the ATF had come in to his shop and took the ATI GSG-5's he had. It seems when they first came out the fake supressor was a solid piece. Now it's been imported hollow, and ATF says it's too easy to make real and maybe it violated the import agreement? Not sure but they are out there taking them.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I visited a local gun shop recently and the owner told me the ATF had come in to his shop and took the ATI GSG-5's he had. It seems when they first came out the fake supressor was a solid piece. Now it's been imported hollow, and ATF says it's too easy to make real and maybe it violated the import agreement? Not sure but they are out there taking them.
    That doesnt make any since :dunno:
    The fake supprersor is a hollow tube that the barrel runs all the way thru, the fake suppresor then threads onto the reciever. It is totally & completly for looks. It has absolutely no effect on the barrel whatsoever, allthough it may keep the barrel from bending if you were to drop the gun!!!:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It is totally & completly for looks. It has absolutely no effect on the barrel whatsoever,

I did some searching on this issue and found a couple threads with a lot of conjecture but few hard facts. Only one other instance of ATF collecting GSGs from a gunshop was related, and it was from a shop in CO last month.

ATF's contention (allegedly) is that if you ported the barrel, the hollow fake can could function as a single-chamber suppressor (albiet an astoundingly inefficient and marginally effective one).

A Tech Branch ruling is supposed to be forthcoming.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Using the bent logic of ATF, what would stop someone from just cutting down the barrel (illegal without the $200 blackmail stamp) and then threading the fake barrel cover back on, thereby creating what ATF would surely determine to be a sound reducing device (also illegal without an additional $200 blackmail stamp)?

With ATF using the "intent to commit" idea, they can hang any of us who own any firearm because you can always use that fake arguement that just because we have a semi-auto clone of any full auto rifle, we always have the intent to one day convert it, no matter how wrong that arguement might be. Or a rifle with a barrel of "legal length" that ATF is sure we will illegally cut it down, just because.

They are always right, we who shall not be infringed are always wrong.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    There is more to this than the ATF and any issues with fake suppressors.
    Dealers may also be forced to remove stock of that weapon because of a lawsuit.

ATI lost a big lawsuit from HK about infringing on their trademarks for the GSG-5.
    They had to revamp the weapon to satisfy the complaints.
    Check out this for the story:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/08/atis-new-gsg-522/

The revamped gun looks way better than the original anyway IMO.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Was he reimbursed or did he eat it?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm getting a job for the government so i can do whatever i want.

Also, if you start making things illegal because you could theoretically machine them into something illegal, it's going to cause problems.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I did some searching on this issue and found a couple threads with a lot of conjecture but few hard facts. Only one other instance of ATF collecting GSGs from a gunshop was related, and it was from a shop in CO last month.

ATF's contention (allegedly) is that if you ported the barrel, the hollow fake can could function as a single-chamber suppressor (albiet an astoundingly inefficient and marginally effective one).

That is exactly what they told the owner of this shop. He said they just came in and took it and that they were not there for any other business like an inspection or anything. :dunno: And this WAS local.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Was he reimbursed or did he eat it?
    If they were confiscated because they were illegal, he wouldn't be reimbursed. In the same way that crackheads aren't reimbursed when they loose their "product". I suppose it is possible the manufacturer could reimburse them, or give them compensation of some type just to keep the dealer happy, but they're not required to and could never sign a contract agreeing to do it ahead of time.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I think its friggin stupid that we have to pay for a stamp to own a suppressor. I mean what heck makes a can so "taboo"?{lack of a better word} and I think its even more stupid that after you go through the trouble to obtain the stamp for the can you can't use it on your hunting rifle/pistol.:dunno:

but anywho...one has to wonder whats going to happen next,are they going to track down each and every owner? seems almost impossible:noway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think its friggin stupid that we have to pay for a stamp to own a suppressor. I mean what heck makes a can so "taboo"?{lack of a better word} and I think its even more stupid that after you go through the trouble to obtain the stamp for the can you can't use it on your hunting rifle/pistol.:dunno:

but anywho...one has to wonder whats going to happen next,are they going to track down each and every owner? seems almost impossible:noway:

I agree with you. The reason we have to pay for a stamp for a can is that NFA 1934 was passed during the Depression, and the concern was that people would use suppressed guns to poach for food.

I haven't looked it up recently, but IIRC, cans replaced handguns in NFA 1934. Given that, I think we're probably better off, though I would much prefer that SCOTUS 1935 had ruled NFA 1934 unConstitutional, null, and void.

Alas, that was in or around the days of FDR, and such decisions were not going to be made properly.

Blessings,
    Bill

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Well, I have owned my GSG since the beginning. How do I tell which one they are after?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house

Thats retarded!!!!!
    "IF" you take a 20oz Moutain dew bottle & some duct tape & tape it to the end of your barrel it will also reduce the sound of your firearm which is also illegal
    What?, are they gonna start confiscating all the 20oz MD bottles?? :dunno:
    "IF" you cut the barrel off your rifle without filing the paperwork you have made an illeagal SBR
    Are they gonna start confiscating all Hack saws ?
    The GSG5 carbine had to be approved by ATF, they approved the design then OKd it for importation & sales in the US. Now thier gonna retort & say "YOU COULD" make this an illegaly suppressed firearm if you cut holes in the barrel.
    I know I know, im ready for the " ATF has never been known to have a since of realism " comment

When & what do we do as tax paying US citizens to damn stand up & defend ourselves from being infringed of our so called rights....

Are we not being terrorized by by these enteties ??

Sorry bout the rant,. it just burns me !!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The GSG5 carbine had to be approved by ATF, they approved the design then OKd it for importation & sales in the US. Now thier gonna retort

The initial configuration in which the GSG5 was approved and imported had a solid fake can. Somewhere along the line, GSG switched to a hollow fake can, presumably without notifying ATF. I don't think ATF's position on the issue is correct, but they're not backtracking per se, though they have done so on other rulings in the past. :xmad:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom