• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was working in my garage a few minutes ago and got attacked by a bat. He dive bombed me like 3-4 times....I thought it was just a bird then the last time it almost hit me in the head, bounced off my hat and landed on rafter. I got the hell out of there and gathered myself...and went in for a better look, sure enough it is a bat. Thing started clicking at me. I took a stick of PVC pipe to try flushing him away and he let me hit him and he never flew, he just gives me this friggin satanic look. I aint kidding you guys, this thing isn't right. What the heck should I do? I am not coexisting with no satanic vampire!

Should I call the cops and let them dispose of it? Should I call DNR? Should I just kill it and if so, how? Will 22 shot shells go thru a 2x6 rafter and roofing? Would 410 be better? What is safe inside a garage with neighbors within 150 feet? I am not using no blow gun or pellet gun because it may just **** it off. Would this thing bite me if I try killing it and fail? I live right in town and we have lots of bats around....but this isnt a normal bat, this thing is mean as hell!

I am being serious to...I know it sounds like a lost wallet post, but it's a legitimate post.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Just to be clear, I don't think this is the endangered type bat...it looks like the other kind....at least looking at photos it looks like the other type. I didn't realize some were endangered until googling. I won't be killing it unless it bites me....but I would like to evict it if possible. I wouldn't mind having it around if it wouldn't attack me and make that clicking noise.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Tennis racquet, broom. driver, etc. Hit it, then toss it in the trash. It's not really attacking. Probably couldn't see you. You could also open the doors and use any of the aforementioned items to shoo it out. If you disturb it, and get it flying, the force of it running into want you're swinging combined with the swing will take it down. No need to damage your property.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Just to be clear, I don't think this is the endangered type bat...it looks like the other kind....at least looking at photos it looks like the other type. I didn't realize some were endangered until googling. I won't be killing it unless it bites me....but I would like to evict it if possible. I wouldn't mind having it around if it wouldn't attack me and make that clicking noise.

If it bites you, it is too late ..... they ALL have RABIES .....

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    We get bat calls quite a bit. I always just take a sheet or towel and try to get the bat flying. Throw the towel up in front of it so the bat flies into it and the towel falls over it, then just take it outside and set it free. It's easy and I have yet to have it not work (except one I swiped lightly with a broom and injured on accident). Other than that, just opening the garage doors and letting it fly out on it's own will likely work also.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've had to do something about three bats in our house over the years.
    The first one was killed (accidentally) when my wife grabbed the couch it was hiding behind and kinda shoved it at the wall, crushing it.
    The second was mortally wounded (again accidentally) when my wife tried to catch it under a wicker trash can.
    Yeah, my wife is not your typical woman...unafraid of mice or bats.
    The third one finally went the way that I would have preferred: I had a short-handled fishnet and caught the bat on our curtain in it, then took it outside and released it totally unharmed.
    I really like bats, and while I don't want them in the house, the ideal situation is to release them if at all possible.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You need both a young priest and and old priest that can recite Aramaic, some holy water, and a crucifix. Don't listen to whatever the bat tells you. This may sound racist, but they're all a bunch of drunks and even bigger liars.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    If it bites you, it is too late ..... they ALL have RABIES .....

All bats do NOT have rabies. They are the highest rabies vector animal in our state. If you find one in the living quarters of your house you need to catch it call animal control and have it tested for rabies. Do not throw it away as there is only one way to test for rabies. Because bat bites are so small and can rarely be seen, they recommend that if you find a bat in you house you should be the post exposure rabies series of shots. Rabies is fatal if you contract it as a human. There has only been one case of a person surviving rabies and that was a while back in Wisconsin if I remember correctly. It was a girl, not sure of her age.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    lol, you guys are a funny bunch! Reading these responses made me chuckle. I left the garage door open all night and he is gone this morning. He must have just been drunk last night......lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom