• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    I picked up a rock island 1911 over the weekend at the 1500 gun is in good shape but it looks like someone has polished part of the barrel by the ejection port and it doesnt look like it was done the best i have polished barrels before but i was wondering if you guys knew of a concoction that would strip the finish off without sanding it like i have done in the past just trying to make it a little easier on myself

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Do you have a picture of the finish that is currently on it? Need to figure out of it is parkarized, blue'd, etc.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    i cant figure out how to get the pic to upload it looks like parkerized but im not 100% its just the factory finish if you look it up online

i just looked it up on rock islands website it is a fully parkerized finish

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    midget thanks for the info looks like i will be doing it the old fashion way thats kind of steep for me to just use for one barrel maybe if i was running a shop using it maybe

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I have a bench grinder with a wire wheel on one side and buffing pads on the other. Using the side (not the edge) of the wire will strip off the surface of most finishes without damaging the metal and leaves a satin finish. Moving over to the buffing pads with a bit of polishing compound brings out the shine!

No need to get fancy, everything can be had at Lowe's/Home Depot/Horror Fright.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have a bench grinder with a wire wheel on one side and buffing pads on the other. Using the side (not the edge) of the wire will strip off the surface of most finishes without damaging the metal and leaves a satin finish. Moving over to the buffing pads with a bit of polishing compound brings out the shine!

No need to get fancy, everything can be had at Lowe's/Home Depot/Horror Fright.

Never thought of doing this. You could probably use a brass wire wheel too.

Top Bottom