• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I've seen a couple people ask in old threads but I haven't found an answer. Is there a gunsmith in the Lafayette area that can cu down and rethread an ar15 barrel?

also is saltzman still around in Tipton?

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    The only Lafayette smith that could do that has sadly moved on to a different state. There are some decent smiths around here but I don't know of any that have a full machine shop.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    CF Gunworks is in Clinton County, they do great work. Ray Sultzman is still around, but he pretty much only takes on sniper rifle and custom 1911 builds these days. He sends his other work to CF Gunworks. Contact Brad at 765-513-4061.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    If you have the balls you can try it yourself. Thats the route I'm going to go. Yes you can completely mess up a barrel this way but if done slowly and correctly then from I've seen its not difficult. About 30 min of research and I would feel comfortable doing so. Hacksaw, round hose clamps, sand paper, file, brass screws, abrasive compound, and the 1/2x28TPI die and you are set.

From what I've seen people do is use the hose clamps to prevent the hacksaw from moving while cutting the barrel. Then use the file and sandpaper to make the cut square and flush. Then use the abrasive compound with a brass screw chucked into a drill and then crown your barrel. That is also another easy thing to do. Then all thats left to do is use the die and thread the barrel. Everything I read say if you make the end of your barrel square with the file and sandpaper then your threads will also be square if done correctly.

Like I said, I have yet to do this but I plan on doing it fairly soon. Do it at your own risk. You'll pay someone 100 bucks to do it or you can do it yourself for 20. But if you mess up then you'll need a new barrel which is 150+ dollars.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    If you have the balls you can try it yourself. Thats the route I'm going to go. Yes you can completely mess up a barrel this way but if done slowly and correctly then from I've seen its not difficult. About 30 min of research and I would feel comfortable doing so. Hacksaw, round hose clamps, sand paper, file, brass screws, abrasive compound, and the 1/2x28TPI die and you are set.

From what I've seen people do is use the hose clamps to prevent the hacksaw from moving while cutting the barrel. Then use the file and sandpaper to make the cut square and flush. Then use the abrasive compound with a brass screw chucked into a drill and then crown your barrel. That is also another easy thing to do. Then all thats left to do is use the die and thread the barrel. Everything I read say if you make the end of your barrel square with the file and sandpaper then your threads will also be square if done correctly.

Like I said, I have yet to do this but I plan on doing it fairly soon. Do it at your own risk. You'll pay someone 100 bucks to do it or you can do it yourself for 20. But if you mess up then you'll need a new barrel which is 150+ dollars.

If you're threading the end for a suppressor, please do not use a die. Hate to see anyone ruin a new suppressor because their threads are off just a hair.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    If you're threading the end for a suppressor, please do not use a die. Hate to see anyone ruin a new suppressor because their threads are off just a hair.

No worries on this end. I don't plan on using a suppressor on this rifle ever. I'm pinning a compensator that specically can't accept any suppressor mounts for this reason.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    No worries on this end. I don't plan on using a suppressor on this rifle ever. I'm pinning a compensator that specically can't accept any suppressor mounts for this reason.

Sorry, should have some different wording.. I ment it as a general "you" and not you in particular.

Also, one will have a very hard time starting a die unless they have the barrel turned down in a lathe. Since it is already chucked up, I would go ahead and single point it then and there.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    For those interested, I just had a barrel threaded by a machinist whose name I got from Applied Ballistics a long time back.

He does good work and is reputable and honorable/honest. I'll happily share his name and contact info via PM for those interested in getting threads cut in a barrel.

Do note that he does not hold a FFL, so whatever you leave with him cannot be a firearm; AR upper ok, 10/22 barrel OK. AR with lower or full 10/22, not ok.

I will not cite a price as that's his decision, and I won't lock him in to any numbers. Besides, he has different amounts he charges depending on what needs done.

I will say that the price he quoted me was reasonable.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks, Brett, I appreciate the offer. The work I needed done is done, I was checking prices prior to it being complete. The guy who did it has done a couple of barrels for me before as well.

I'm sure your work is top-notch. You having the FFL gives you a "leg up" on the guy I had do mine, and the main two reasons I had him do it were location and prior experience. (He's a lot closer to me than you are.)

Don't think I'm down-talking Brett by promoting Mark, the machinist I mentioned. If he's closer to you, or if you can't separate parts from the registered part or can't stay with your gun while Mark does it, go with Brett. Mark just did right by me and I thought it proper to return the favor.

Blessings,
    Bill

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I understand competition. And to be honest, it doesn't bother me that people have other recommendations, for mere fact that if I am busy and someone needs it done fast, I have someone I can refer them to.

Bill, haven't seen you since I became a Rifleman...still doing Appleseed quite often? I'm still interested in helping out if you need me to! Take care and stay safe!

Top Bottom