• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I really want to do some backpacking and camping this summer because its been about 1 1/2 years since I got out last. So far the best/only place I've found in Indiana is Knobstone.

1) Does anyone know somewhere else (doesn't have to be Indiana, but something close)?

2) Would anyone be interested in an INGO trip of this sort?

If I get a good response, I may try to plan something in maybe June or July. Please leave a response here if you are interested, and any possible locations you like to hike/camp.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Morgan Monroe State Forest has a primative campground (central water spigot, gravity feed toilets) and allows backpack camping in the "backcountry area". Located between Martinsville and Bloomington, it's east of State Road 37 ~6 miles.

The Low Gap Trail is neat. Seasonal runoff can create small waterfalls from the abundant rock forms. My dog (RIP Bailey) and I did the loop in two days, but it could easily be accomplished in one day if you were in good shape and a hurry. I wanted to camp overnight so I started late the first day and had a few hours hike the next morning. I don't know the mileage but I suspect that 8 hours would do the entire thing. If you are looking for a long hike, you can start at Low Gap trailhead and take the Tecumseh trail all the way to Yellowwood forest. I've never done it, but the maps are available.

I hiked the Low Gap in May (a couple years ago) and there wasn't much available drinking water along the way, so DO NOT plan to utilize local water. You might find water suitable for rinsing dishes, etc, but you have to pack your drinking/cooking water.

Depending on when, I'd be interested in going again.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    BROWN COUNTY... beautiful area... dont know the name of the state park though but its really nice.
    Its just brown county state park isnt it? didnt know they had backwoods, ill check it out.

Morgan Monroe State Forest has a primative campground (central water spigot, gravity feed toilets) and allows backpack camping in the "backcountry area". Located between Martinsville and Bloomington, it's east of State Road 37 ~6 miles.

The Low Gap Trail is neat. Seasonal runoff can create small waterfalls from the abundant rock forms. My dog (RIP Bailey) and I did the loop in two days, but it could easily be accomplished in one day if you were in good shape and a hurry. I wanted to camp overnight so I started late the first day and had a few hours hike the next morning. I don't know the mileage but I suspect that 8 hours would do the entire thing. If you are looking for a long hike, you can start at Low Gap trailhead and take the Tecumseh trail all the way to Yellowwood forest. I've never done it, but the maps are available.

I hiked the Low Gap in May (a couple years ago) and there wasn't much available drinking water along the way, so DO NOT plan to utilize local water. You might find water suitable for rinsing dishes, etc, but you have to pack your drinking/cooking water.

Depending on when, I'd be interested in going again.
    ill check this one out too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Brown county state park does not allow backcountry camping, to the best of my knowledge. They do have a lot of trails that you could hike with a backpack, but that's not the same as backpacking. It's also relatively busy all summer. For several years I have bought the State Park annual entrance card. Last summer we went to Brown County on Sunday afternoons, probably went a dozen times. It wasn't super busy, but a place like Yellowwood or Morgan Monroe is desolate in comparison.

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pine Hills Nature Preserve. (highly recommend)
    Shades State Park.
    Turkey Run State Park.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    I always recommend the Deam Wilderness area of the Hoosier Nat'l Forest. It's about a half hour drive from Bloomington. I have been all over it; my wife and I do a lot of ultralight backpacking and this is a good local place for us to do just that. There are lots of loops you can combine to get the miles/time you want. You can pack out to Lake Monroe relatively easily as well (about 5 miles from the Grubb Ridge trailhead).

There are no fees, a handful of already established sites, and you can create your own site as long as you follow the rules and practice leave-no-trace ethics. A majority of the trails allow horses, which can lead to crummy trail conditions in some spots, but nothing worth griping too much about.

Here is the US Forest Service guide in pdf format.

And here is some info on the Deam on Wiki.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    +1 on what westfork mentioned.

The Nebo Ridge area is about as remote as you can get in Indiana unless you go down around Tell City close to the Ohio River. The Grubb Ridge trail is very scenic and even has an old cemetary you can check out. I think the best time to go is late spring/early summer, after IU has dismissed students for the summer break. That cuts down on the vandalism/car breakins at trailheads. Some of the trails you have to share with horses though which can be a plus or minus depending on your view.

I'm not sure of the CCW law anymore in that area. I know Hardin Ridge is a federal property nearby and CCW is illegal.

I usually carried open (little Taurus Mdl 85 .38Spcl SS) just to be safe. You'll meet people on the trail, but I only had one instance where was a little spooked. I had my three boys with me too, and my oldest (15 at the time) even said the guys were creepy. But if you get far enough back in the woods no one will bother you. I try and practice "stealth camping". Get out of sight of the main trail, etc.

You mentioned the Knobstone...I've only hiked a section from Elk..something south, and then back to the car...Very pretty!

Good luck!

Pappy

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I'm getting married next year; my bachelor party is going to be a weekend backwoods camping trip. I'm interested in finding a place rather remote albeit being able to carry my pistol.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The Smokies, longer drive........worth it though!!!!!!!

Dixie%20Run%202006%20099b-this%20is%20why%20they%20call%20it%20the%20smokies!.jpg

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    The Smokies, longer drive........worth it though!!!!!!!

Dixie%20Run%202006%20099b-this%20is%20why%20they%20call%20it%20the%20smokies%21.jpg

Uh, Bears, bugs, snakes, wild boars and battling the elements. Let me rephrase myself here, "I'd like to go backwoods camping, prefereably in an air conditioned building with fake trees."

In all seriousness, that's a great suggestion but what about around here in Indiana?

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yea a couple buds and I were going to go down to Tenn/SC to go to the Smokies last fall but there were a couple complications. We are tying to get out in Indiana this summer, then down to the Smokies this fall again. Hopefully it will all work out. I'll keep you all posted and maybe we can get a small group going.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    If you want to stay in Indiana, and you want a little slice of remote hiking, and some creature comforts such as the ability to get in out of the weather if need be, then check out this place:

Delaney Creek Park

Delaney Park is near Salem and is really a nice little campground. It is on a section of the Knobstone Trail route. You can get a cabin too, but you need to reserve ahead of time. I've only been there twice but enjoyed both stays. You can spend the day on the "loop" trail and come back to a nice campsite. And, you can be pretty sure that your car will still be there and not vandalized, etc. My kids enjoyed the fishing and general poking around the little lake.

I didn't OC in the campground and can't remember if there are signs posted about firearms.

Check it out!

Pappy

Last edited:

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I don't know about backwoods camping but since your in Portage sometimes you might want to try Potato Creek State Park just east of LaPorte. Kingsbury shooting range is nearby too.:twocents:

Top Bottom