background check still required w/a ccw?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Does an IN ccw permit negate the requirment for running the ncic check when purchasing/transferring a firearm?
    Or is it still required in IN?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Does an IN ccw permit negate the requirment for running the ncic check when purchasing/transferring a firearm?
    Or is it still required in IN?

Call to the Feds is still a requirement ,,,,, dealers not even interested if you have an IN carry license or not, will not sub for any type of back ground check.

wolfman

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Call to the Feds is still a requirement ,,,,, dealers not even interested if you have an IN carry license or not, will not sub for any type of back ground check.

wolfman

in a number of states the check is not required for individuals with a ccw permit (KY for example)

guess that's not the case for IN- oh well not a big deal

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    in a number of states the check is not required for individuals with a ccw permit (KY for example)

guess that's not the case for IN- oh well not a big deal

That used to be the case in IN, as recently as 2002 or so. At that time, the State Police decided to stop doing nationwide background checks in the course of issuing LTCs, citing manpower and budget issues. That meant that Indiana's LTC was no longer an acceptable substitute under the Brady Law, and dealers had to start phoning in NICS checks for everybody.

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    That used to be the case in IN, as recently as 2002 or so. At that time, the State Police decided to stop doing nationwide background checks in the course of issuing LTCs, citing manpower and budget issues. That meant that Indiana's LTC was no longer an acceptable substitute under the Brady Law, and dealers had to start phoning in NICS checks for everybody.
    i see, ty

Also, IN does not have a CCW permit. We have an LTCH. It sounds picky, but the distinction is important
    ok good to know on the dif nomenclature
    is there any practical difference? i'd assume the former conotates a license to conceal a weapon generally versus specifically handgun for the latter?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i see, ty

ok good to know on the dif nomenclature
    is there any practical difference? i'd assume the former conotates a license to conceal a weapon generally versus specifically handgun for the latter?

An LTCH is a License to Carry a Handgun. Indiana does not specify how it must be carried (concealed or otherwise). Additionally, the license specifies handgun. It is not a license to carry any other weapon.

A CCW is a permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon. Generally, this means it must be concealed (including printing). In some cases it also allows the holder to carry weapons other than a handgun.

I won't get into the difference between a license and a permit.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Other states' CCW/LTC/whatever do still qualify, so an IN dealer can still bypass the phone call for one of those, I believe. Not that you're likely to find one that would, at least not without proving it to them (except maybe Karl, but I won't speak for him.)

There are 21 states with some form of state paper that qualifies under Brady to exempt you from NICS. They can be found here:
    ATF Online - Sale of firearms to aliens admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa

Blessings,
    B

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008

Absolutely Correct.

Indiana LTCH stopped qualifying for the exemption in 2003 (I think).
    Indiana no longer does a national background check for a LTCH, just a state criminal check.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Also, BATF requires an expiration date for the license/permit to qualify for the exemption so the lifetime licenses wouldn't qualify regardless of what the state police do.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also, BATF requires an expiration date for the license/permit to qualify for the exemption so the lifetime licenses wouldn't qualify regardless of what the state police do.

[Ed McMahon]
    I did not know that. Thank you, sir!
    [/Ed McMahon]

:D

I'll take my lifetime LTC and gladly submit to a NICS check on purchases, thankyaverymuch!

Top Bottom