• ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    And I got lost like a mofo on the way there. Stupid Yahoo Maps! :xmad:

But I had a great time. 4th time at the range with pistols.
    Met up with llawrra at Rousch Lake. Nice laid back place.
    :shoot:150 rnds. of 9mm, 50 rnds. .38 special, and 15 rnds. .357 magnum later and it was time to go.
    llawrra was cool let me shoot his .40 XD. He also taught me a few things: My grip was off, I was anticpating the kick, and I need to clean my guns once in a while!! :D

Hell I'm going back tomorrow. $4 for the whole day....and they have 9mm at $13/box if ya need it.

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Nice! Sounds like an awesome afternoon. To help with the revolver, try leaving one or 2 rounds out of the cylinder. That way you can work on anticipation. And remember let the gun surprise you, pull on the trigger slowly. I'm sure someone has told you that already, maybe llawrra today.

Take some pics next time you go and post them here. We might be able to help you with some of your problems by looking at the groups. Continue shooting you will get better!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Nice! Sounds like an awesome afternoon. To help with the revolver, try leaving one or 2 rounds out of the cylinder. That way you can work on anticipation. And remember let the gun surprise you, pull on the trigger slowly. I'm sure someone has told you that already, maybe llawrra today.

Take some pics next time you go and post them here. We might be able to help you with some of your problems by looking at the groups. Continue shooting you will get better!

What are these "groups" you speak of?? :D

I actually did better with the .357 than the 9mm. That's where the I was anticipating more. I think.

Groups (I use the term loosely) were concentrated in the lower part of the target with the 9mm. Actually had a few in the red with the revolver.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I get tighter groups out of my dad's .357 also (not a ton, but tighter). It's a 6'' barrel though so I think the longer sight radius is the biggest helping factor. And with my 9mm I tend to just want to squeeze them off fast.

This makes me want to go to the range and work on some stuff. I wish ammo didn't cost so much! haha Keep safe and keep shooting!

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    It's a XDm 40...big difference. :D
    And you were getting better the more you shot. Get your grip down and smooth out your trigger pull. Concentrate on making well placed shots first, and worry about double tabs and rapid fire drills later. Use those snap caps you bought to watch your movement before and after the trigger pull; let the hammer fall and don't let off the trigger, see if your sights are still lined up. Once you get the fundamentals down, you'll be good to go. Keep practicing!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    It's a XDm 40...big difference. :D
    And you were getting better the more you shot. Get your grip down and smooth out your trigger pull. Concentrate on making well placed shots first, and worry about double tabs and rapid fire drills later. Use those snap caps you bought to watch your movement before and after the trigger pull; let the hammer fall and don't let off the trigger, see if your sights are still lined up. Once you get the fundamentals down, you'll be good to go. Keep practicing!

Ha!
    I went back today. I tried incorporating what you said. My best moment was hitting the "dirty bird" target on 10 of 10 shots. Only 1 in the red but all in a scoring zone. I cleaned the guns....
    I ran Blazer Brass, WWB, Blazer Steel, Federal Hi Shock JHP, Winchester Extreme +P, and B&K reloads. No FTF or FTE on either gun.
    Although I did have 2 mags that did not hold open on empty while using the reloads with the Ruger. The last 2 mags (same physical mags) went fine. Maybe a light load or 2? Also I had about 250 rounds through it today as well...
    No issues with the Glock....err... I mean Hi-Point....:D. Not even with the JHP's or the +P's.:eek:
    2 Older gentlemen asked if my C9 was a Glock. That makes 3 coounting the guy from yesterday. Too funny. I guess a C9 with the action held open looks like a Glock;).
    They must have thought the Ruger was my cheap gun....

Top Bottom