• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I have a 3rd Generation G23 and I have started to notice something. When I dry fire the weapon for disassembly, the firing pin does not retract back into the breech face. It retracts easily enough when touched, but I've never noticed it sticking before. I do not make a habit of dry-firing, but I am at least the third owner of the weapon and do not know its entire history.

My question is, is this a normal thing that I've never noticed, or a sign that the gun needs repair? The firing pin doesn't stick very hard now, but I am concerned that if it starts to stick harder it's an AD waiting to happen. TIA

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    It is probably a sprint or transfer piece, this is a cheap part or set of parts to replace. PM Indygunworks, and he will hook you up with info and a solution.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    i have a brand new g27 and it does the same thing, the firing pin doesnt really retract until it catches the sear, maybe they are supposed to be like that

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have a G19 and notice a similar "issue"... Not exactly sure if this is what you are talking about but here goes.

When I field strip the weapon, the firing pin is out. On the G19, in order to remove the slide, you must first pull the trigger. So it makes sense that the firing pin would be forward. So this is not really a "problem", it is in fact by design.

I'm not exactly sure how you are determining that the firing pin is forward. Are you racking the slide fully and then opening the side to look at it?

Anyhow, here is a link to the Glock Manual (for the 19 and the 23) Glock Manual 17, 17L, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 The last pages describe how to test for proper function of the firing pin. This should be done every time the weapon is disassembled.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Thanks for the link, bigus_D. It sounds like you and I are talking about the same phenomenon. I've just never noticed another gun to leave the firing pin protruding into the chamber when dry-fired. I'll do the check for the FP safety after work. The pin sticking out doesn't really hurt anything the way it is now. I'm just more concerned that if this is not a "design feature" of the Glock and it sticks hard, it could open the door for an AD while chambering a round.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'm pretty sure that there is nothing pulling the firing pin back into the slide... the only thing that makes it go back in there is the movement of the action. i.e. there is no internal spring within the slide to force the pin back in (in fact, there is a spring pushing it out). You'll see this when you do the FP safety check. Anyhow, since the movement of the action puts the pin away AND is how the next round gets in place, you shouldn't have any danger of AD. Of course, if after doing the safety check, you still have concerns I'd suggest having a professional take a look at it.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    This is perfectly normal, nothing out of the ordinary. The pin gets pulled back when the slide cycles, but not before. The slight resistance that you feel when you try to push it back is from the firing pin safety spring.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    No worries of an AD, once you rack a round in the chamber, the striker is right back where it belongs (behind the block that's only released by pulling the trigger). There are no ADs with glock, only NDs.

and occasional KBs (I'll throw that in since if I don't, someone else will.)

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    My 23 is the same way. There is nothing wrong with the FP as it will remain out like that until you rack the slide and pull it back. Enjoy your G23! I love mine.

Top Bottom