• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I loaded up my backpack (cheap Coleman Max) this past fall and took the 10 mile loop at Morgan-Monroe and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Even with a full backpack that weighed quite a bit (in my estimation) I felt good and wanted to do it again. I'm looking to get into it more in the spring and wanted to ask a few questions for the experienced backpackers:

- What are some essential pieces of gear that you keep in your pack? I think I have all the basics as far as food, water, heat, shelter, first aid, etc. Are there other handy items you've discovered?

- What are some good hiking areas for maybe a 2 day/1 night hike? I have heard that Knobstone is good, anyone been down that path (pun intended)? What are some of the more scenic stretches?

- Do you carry a normal sleeping bag or is there something else that you have found to be easier to carry/more comfortable? I doubt I'll be doing any winter hiking so a subzero sleeping bag won't be necessary. Hopefully I'll be in shape to get into this hobby by late March/early April. What about a tent? Do you like to sleep under the stars or carry a small backpacking tent?

- What other tips/tricks do you have to pass along?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A GPS since you have a tendency of getting lost...

:D

pwned4.jpg

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have used the hammock before. Problem is everything falls to the middle and in the morning your knees are completely hyperextended. Need to make sure you put something under them in the hammock. It is also a lot more difficult to find trees just right to hang up this rig.

For this reason I carry a bivy. It is only a little lighter than my hammock rig but is much easier to find a place to set down.

If you are only a couple of days, power bars and MRE's are easier than packing a stove and utensils.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I loaded up my backpack (cheap Coleman Max) this past fall and took the 10 mile loop at Morgan-Monroe and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Even with a full backpack that weighed quite a bit (in my estimation) I felt good and wanted to do it again. I'm looking to get into it more in the spring and wanted to ask a few questions for the experienced backpackers:

- What are some essential pieces of gear that you keep in your pack? I think I have all the basics as far as food, water, heat, shelter, first aid, etc. Are there other handy items you've discovered?

- What are some good hiking areas for maybe a 2 day/1 night hike? I have heard that Knobstone is good, anyone been down that path (pun intended)? What are some of the more scenic stretches?

- Do you carry a normal sleeping bag or is there something else that you have found to be easier to carry/more comfortable? I doubt I'll be doing any winter hiking so a subzero sleeping bag won't be necessary. Hopefully I'll be in shape to get into this hobby by late March/early April. What about a tent? Do you like to sleep under the stars or carry a small backpacking tent?

- What other tips/tricks do you have to pass along?

I take a week off each year and hike a section of the Appalachian Trail (30-50 miles/year). There are a lot of great AT sections within a 6-7 hour drive from Indy.

I really really like the Hennessy Hammock.

Here's the link: HENNESSY HAMMOCKS.com: ultra-light line of jungle hammocks, ultra-comfortable camping hammock /chair/ tent combo

If you search on-line you can get deals on them. They work great and you won't find anything that packs down smaller or is more lightweight. Depending on the group I'm hiking with and the tent situation determines whether or not I take the hammock to sleep in.

I also have a $150 North Face sleeping bag (mummy style) that folds up smaller than a football. However, I don't use it anymore. A hiking buddy of mine told me about this one from Wal-mart that costs $19 and I've been using it ever since.

Link: Walmart.com: Kodiak K-Lite 1.5 lb. Sleeping Bag: Camping

It's perfectly fine for 40 degree weather or warmer and compresses down even smaller than my North Face bag. It's more roomy and more comfortable. I don't like the mummy style bags because mine doesn't allow me to move around at all. Now the 6 guys I hike the AT with each year use that one from Wal-mart.

A couple things I've learned about week long hikes... I always pack too much stuff. I'm very strict on myself now and try to keep my pack weight under 30lbs, which sound easier than it is. Convertible pants (the kind where the legs zip off) are awesome because you can adjust to the temperature easily. The best ones that I've found are from Bass Pro Shop/Cabelas. They are $19 and found in the "fishing" section. The same thing in the "hiking" section will cost you double. Also, I try to eliminate cotton from my clothes when hiking. It seems to soak up the sweat and hold and causes blisters. I also really like using dual hiking poles. They are especially handy on the steep inclines and declines. I've used the cheapos from Wal-mart and the more expensive Lekis and both have worked fine. Another thing that has saved me is a lightweight vinyl painters tarp. They are 79 cents and fold up really small. We've used them as shelter, for water collection, tent footprint and as a rain fly when we forgot ours.

PM me for more info. I could talk about this stuff for days :)

My number 1 piece of advice is to pack light and only take the stuff that you need. I think men try to take every little gadget possible because we can picture ourselves using them in certain situations, but 90% of that stuff doesn't get used :)

Oh, the real number 1 piece of advice is to wear a broken in great fitting pair of boots/shoes because if your feet start to hurt or you get blisters your trip will be less fun. I wear Asolo boots because they fit me well (no blisters). That's the only thing I spend a lot of money on.

Asolo Flame GTX Hiking Boots - Men's at REI.com

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I bought one of those already. Maybe you'll recall me using it to get us back to the truck in the dark after our last hunting trip? :draw:

Some people can get lost in full view of the vehicle... (not saying this about you). I was out in the woods with a guy and we'd parked under a microwave tower on top of a ridge that could be seen for miles. As it was getting dark, I was heading back to the truck almost straight line to the tower with the blinking lights on it when he decided that wasn't the right direction. I proceeded on while he went at a 90 degree heading away from the light. I waited in the truck for three hours for him to return...

Then there was the time I was parked right under a cell phone tower in Georgia. Came off the mountain headed straight for the tower. I ran into a wall of kudzu and could not get through it. Now, I will bull straight through the densest thicket of greenbriars or multiflora you can imagine, but I could not get through the kudzu. I could see the tower a few hundred yards away. I ended up having to go a mile and a half backtracking to find the place to get through the kudzu.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    sleeping bag
    ground mat (visqueen)
    or tube tent
    good map
    compass
    first aid kit
    shake flash light
    multiple ways of starting fire
    water filter kit
    iodine tabs
    2 good knives folder, survival
    TP and shovel
    pack parts kit buckles, snaps, safety pins, 550 cord
    hand gun
    folder saw
    snake bite kit
    camel pack
    cheese cloth
    mole skin
    jaw harp :D
    beech nut

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I use the eagle nest double person hammock for overnight hiking trips. I am 6 foot 200 pounds and it fits nicely with plenty of room and a bottle holder on the side.

I suggest buy some mosquito netting from army surplus for 20 buck to drape over a guy line between ends. MUCH cheaper than the manufacturer nets made for their hammocks.

Buy the best boots you can afford. Period.

A caving headlamp. Spend the 40 bucks for an LED one. Sometimes making waypoints on the trail doesn't happen as quick as you would like. The LED lights really help when making time in the dark.

I'm with redneck medic on the handgun. Some people prefer to shed the weight when backpacking but some really weird sh*t has happened in national forest land and parks and I feel more comfortable knowing its there.

Know your area. If make it to Bear country never too careful. Hang that food or you might be the food.

If your female companion is "in season" make sure she disposes of feminine items properly. Bears take their territory serious.

Get to the mountains. Makes hiking Indiana bland.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    More Info

+1 on all the hammock info. I'm a believer in the Hennessey system but I know there are others out there that are comfortable as well. I will say that the "assymetrical" design allows the user to lay flatter and more natural, for lack of a better description. I practiced setting mine up in the back yard and got pretty good at it. Anyway, here is another recent thread with some additional links for tons of great info!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/58382-seeking_input_on_hammocks.html

Top Bottom