• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    If anyone remembers the old Atterbury, the current one is a massive improvement. When the range was just a field, you never went there alone, and always had to watch left and right while shooting and especially at cease-fire.
    Guys would drag all kinds of crap onto the range to shoot at. Bowling balls, propane cylinders, a guy at the stall next to me brought his ex-wife's stuffed dog. Some idiot even drove his beater car out to shoot at ("To make it look gangster", was his reasoning).

Glad it's the way it is today...

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I wish you people would quit talking about how good Atterbury is. Before you know it, they will have lines like the 1500.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I wish you people would quit talking about how good Atterbury is. Before you know it, they will have lines like the 1500.

Sorry.

In other news today.

While trying to retrieve guns lost during reported icefishing excursions. Fisherman found the Atterbury shooting range sunk to the bottom of Princes Lake. An investigation is undrway to determine how the States Premier shooting range moved 5 miles west....but officers say they're pretty sure Dorothy or Toto were involved.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Can someone please explain the 'setup' that makes things strict?

The only "setup" is some basic rules which are based on common sense. Unfortunately, there have been some INGo posters in the past who have a problem with following rules. ("Do not work and play well with others" types.) Atterbury is a great place. I try to visit at least once a week. :rockwoot:

windhorst3187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I need to go check it out. I haven't been to Atterbury since I was a kid and there were no rules. Used to shoot skeet to the left of where the old range was.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If anyone remembers the old Atterbury, the current one is a massive improvement. When the range was just a field, you never went there alone, and always had to watch left and right while shooting and especially at cease-fire.
    Guys would drag all kinds of crap onto the range to shoot at. Bowling balls, propane cylinders, a guy at the stall next to me brought his ex-wife's stuffed dog. Some idiot even drove his beater car out to shoot at ("To make it look gangster", was his reasoning).

Glad it's the way it is today...

That's how it was when I first went there. Like you said, people would drag anything down range. Refrigerators, bottles, you name it. And frequently you would get at least one round (usually more) sent down range while it was cold and people were setting up their targets. It was a madhouse.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I just started shooting again last year. I went to Atterbury and I must say that I was happy that they enforced common sense safety rules. Six bucks for a full hour is really reasonable. Having 50 and 100 yard rifle lanes is also a plus. As far as the range officer is concerned, he may yell a bit, (I know from first-hand experience) but he doesn't "hold it against you", he's just doing his job and making it safe for everybody.

When I think about some of the indoor ranges I've been to, I'm happy for the structure they offcer at Atterbury. By that I mean things like inadequate ventilation, guys sweeping everyone in the room , lasers sights crossing my chest, feet,etc

i can't wait for the cold weather to be over so i can return to Atterbury.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I drive 45+ minutes to shoot there. I like it and appreciate the strict rules. While strict, they are quick to offer help or advice. They rent pistols too, but you need to buy their ammo. After I shoot 200 pistols/rifle rounds, I go up the hill and shoot trap.

Top Bottom