• ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Midwest Motorcycle Repair 3432 W Washington st Indianapolis IN
    This is the last place on Earth you want to take your motorcycle for repair. I took my Honda Shadow 1100 in for stator replacement and was quoted an estimate of 2 hours for the job. When I picked the bike up, I was charged for 4 and a half hours of labor and the bike had mysteriously developed an anti-freeze leak and a loud-tapping noise coming from the motor. It is possible the tapping noise could be good spark from the new stator that is where the sound seems to be coming from; however they also broke the mounting position for my side chrome cover off of the engine case. They refused to take responsibility for any of these oversights and telling me and I quote “How do I know it wasn’t like that when you brought it in.” They then said to bring the bike back in for them to look at. I can’t bring the bike back in because it won’t hold fluid long enough to get there, and besides I would never again trust them to touch my bike for any reason. I now understand why they only accept cash as payment. Otherwise customers would have an option for protecting themselves like being able to stop payment on a check or dispute a credit card payment. I had it looked at by another mechanic who claims the coolant leak is from a seal that they caused to fail by messing with something they never needed to touch and they should have replaced it when they had the bike apart. The broken bracket the new mechanic said is just from plain stupidity and the mechanic at Midwest not knowing what he was doing. Not only am I dissatisfied with the service I received, but I also feel that I was slighted and mislead during the repair process. They asked me to come to the shop several times when they had questions about things any qualified mechanic should have known. If you take your bike here for repair you will regret it.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hey Chef,

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. If you find a good mechanic stay with him. Most shops have young guys who may or may not know what they are doing. A really good shop will work with you after a screw-up but the treatment you got was as bad as it gets.

I ride and I work on my own bikes. I can not even imagine taking my bike into a shop without knowing the mechanic personally.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have always done simple repairs myself and I had a really good mechanic that I actually met on here who handled all the bigger jobs for me, but he moved further south and is too far away to do the work now. I would have been better off going to the dealer but with money being tight I was trying to save a few bucks. Lesson learned I will not make this mistake twice.

Hey Chef,

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. If you find a good mechanic stay with him. Most shops have young guys who may or may not know what they are doing. A really good shop will work with you after a screw-up but the treatment you got was as bad as it gets.

I ride and I work on my own bikes. I can not even imagine taking my bike into a shop without knowing the mechanic personally.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Are you going to pursue legal action? Some of these outfits count on you not spending the time to force them to do what's right. I feel your pain though. Been there, done that.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have contacted the better business bureau but I have not yet filed anything with small claims court.

Are you going to pursue legal action? Some of these outfits count on you not spending the time to force them to do what's right. I feel your pain though. Been there, done that.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    If you were quoted an estimate of 2 hours for the job, why would you pay for 4 and a half? Don't know how bike mechanics work but reputable auto and marine machanics (that I've delt with) work off of a time to do repair program. If they quote me 2 hours (which alot of time is the minimum charge) and it actually takes them 6 hours, they can only recoup for the 2 hours quoted. Thats why I always get a quot in writing.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I went there once to get an estimate. It was to rebuild a 79 honda DOHC engine. They told me $2000 plus parts and shop fees, I guess their rent was due cause the other estimates I got were less than a grand all in.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did he happen to change the oil? 1100 Shadows are notorious for a 'knocking' sound, most prevalent at idle. The one I'm riding now does it, and seems to go away some if I use a heavier oil (ie: 20W 50).

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I changed the oil 2 weeks ago, and checked the oil level as soon as I got it home, that was my first thought. As soon as the sun comes up and it warms up a bit, Ill be tearing it down to replace the gasket on the fuel pump intake to fix the coolant leek.

Did he happen to change the oil? 1100 Shadows are notorious for a 'knocking' sound, most prevalent at idle. The one I'm riding now does it, and seems to go away some if I use a heavier oil (ie: 20W 50).

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    That's why I work on my own motorcycles.

Ditto. My mechanic is an idiot, but I know where he lives (and I sleep with his wife!):)

Always a good idea to get to know your bike by working on it yourself. That way when it quits making noise 40 miles from Bugtussle on a sunday evening, you can fix it yourself and get back home.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I changed the oil 2 weeks ago, and checked the oil level as soon as I got it home, that was my first thought. As soon as the sun comes up and it warms up a bit, Ill be tearing it down to replace the gasket on the fuel pump intake to fix the coolant leek.
    IANAL...however, my advice is document everything you do or have done to rectify the situation. If you decide to take them to small claims court to recoup your losses, it will be a necessity. Receipts, and pictures. Maybe even keep a log of events with dates and times. Just my :twocents:
    Good luck!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    That is when you say here is the cash for the hours you quoted me since you did not call me for approval for additional hours.... have a nice day.

Fair warning I have not heard good things about the shop at Flatout on the east side.

Top Bottom