• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So I decided to go to the range. I took my Ruger Precision rifle 308.
    I got there and a guy had an AK 47 Russian made from parts kit.
    I got 3 well aimed shots off and I noticed this guy 3 bays down mag dump 3 mags and was working on a 4th. I was thinking what a waste of ammo.... but it isn't mine so went back to shooting my rifle.
    About 5 mins later this guy has his AK field stripped ramming a cleaning rod into it. He finally comes over ask me if I knew anything about AK47 I said a little.
    So I walk over he said he got halfway through his 4th mag dump and it jammed so he thought it was dirty. He was going to clean it. I observed him take a patch and ram it hard into the gas tube. I yelled hold it, I said you do know that is the gas tube and not the barrel right? He said he thought it was the barrel. I took a flashlight looked inside it was packed with cleaning patches and you could see where he was scratching up the inside of the gas tube. He tried my needle nose pliers to get it out no joy. So we broke it on down and ran a rod the opposite direction finally got the patches out. He had some 3 Bulgarian mags and some cheap polymer mag. The polymer mag was when he had the feeding problem. I told him to just use the Bulgarian mags see if it worked without the feeding issue. It did. I went back to try and shoot my rifle some more.

About 15 mins later he came to me, and ask me if his grip was broken. He had what looked like a new Hogue grip on it. It was fine when I was over there earlier. Somehow he slammed the rifle down it hit the grip and he broke it inside and it was wobbly. I said you will need to buy a new grip because the plastic inside is all broken up.

I know an AK47 can take a lot of abuse but this guy literally was finding ways to make it not run. So I gave him some pointers, then ask why he was doing mag dumps. He said just in case the rioters attacked his home he could defend it. I told him the way he was shootin he would probably miss just about everything he was firing at. I pointed out he had around 10 hits on his target out of around 200rds fired. I said slow down aim each shot and fire.
    Hopefully he tries that next time if his AK47 makes it to the range without him totally destroying it.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Sounds like a piece of junk rifle to me.

I would have offered him $200 cash for the scrap rifle....maybe 10 cents. round for his **** ammo that was as useless as his scrap rifle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Sounds like a piece of junk rifle to me.

I would have offered him $200 cash for the scrap rifle....maybe 10 cents. round for his **** ammo that was as useless as his scrap rifle.
    It was a pos polymer mag of some kind. The Bulgarian metal mags worked fine.

I'm still puzzled at his thought process that made him think doing mag dumps was a way to defend one's self. To much Hollywood?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    A legit Russian parts kit AK-47 (milled receiver) is prohibitively expensive, even before all the health and political malarkey we currently find ourselves in. And if it was an AKM (stamped receiver) built on a Russian parts kit, it was likely still crazy costly. Regardless of the builder, If I saw one of these kits combined with a cheap American mag and grip, I'd offer to put the gun out of its misery by shooting the owner.

Curious if it would have kept chugging along,choked gas tube and all with those Bulgy mags. Tapcos, ProMags, and other crappy plastic mags are notoriously unreliable.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm totally fine with people drawing and firing - just stand abeam the benches. Its a skill that is necessary to practice.

Dumb college kids looking down the barrel of their Mosin that hangfired, and having it discharge with the barrel about 15 degrees before their forehead, then exclaiming like a surfer dude, isn't cool.

Me calling cold range to change a target, looking everyone in the eye and getting an acknowledging nod and seeing people ease away from the benches, walking downrange in a bright-red shirt, then some jack wagon I looked in the eye shooting his 357 while I'm 80 yards downrange changing a target "because you're on one end and I'm shooting on the other" isn't cool.

Nerds wearing black trenchcoats and practicing Matrix (or Basketball Diaries/Columbine) moves with Shockwaves and Dracos isn't cool.

Tweakers scavenging my brass, as I'm still shooting, isn't cool.

People who bring old tube TVs to shoot at a public range isn't cool.

I'll grant all those things happened just before DNR went to a permitting scheme for the Henryville range...

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Just like another doofus, who started downrange without asking.....I yelled "I guess we have a clear!" then yelled "Clear on the left'.... was looked at like I had three heads by the aforementioned doofii?...doofuss'? I may be a fudd, but I want to be a safe fudd, and as tempting as it may be, I don't want to shoot someone at the range accidentally.....on purpose might be a different story.....

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    A legit Russian parts kit AK-47 (milled receiver) is prohibitively expensive, even before all the health and political malarkey we currently find ourselves in. And if it was an AKM (stamped receiver) built on a Russian parts kit, it was likely still crazy costly. Regardless of the builder, If I saw one of these kits combined with a cheap American mag and grip, I'd offer to put the gun out of its misery by shooting the owner.

Curious if it would have kept chugging along,choked gas tube and all with those Bulgy mags. Tapcos, ProMags, and other crappy plastic mags are notoriously unreliable.
    Warsaw Wood Co. Has some steel slab sides in stock of this reply that would look good on a milled AK-

Top Bottom