• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Is it possible to have AT&T high speed internet (if you can call it that):rolleyes: and NOT have an AT&T home phone?

We never use the home phone anymore it seems, and I'm thinking about just having cell phones but don't want to get rid of the AT&T internet yet.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Is it possible to have AT&T high speed internet (if you can call it that):rolleyes: and NOT have an AT&T home phone?

We never use the home phone anymore it seems, and I'm thinking about just having cell phones but don't want to get rid of the AT&T internet yet.

YES, I used to have internet only, but I then changed to COMCAST & like it better

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've said it before, it is my life long goal to not have ANY AT&T services in my name. You do what works for you but I am done with them....Rant off.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We have been AT&T free for over 2 years, and couldnt be happier. Customer service there was the worst, and as far as internet goes, it was next to impossible to get a straight answer as to weather or not we could get high speed service in our area.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    yes

Check your address at att.com to see if your area qualifies for DSL or Uverse. There are promotions with either internet service & depending on which you qualify for then the promotion are different. If you get high speed internet without home phone you will want "dsl Drylop". landline services are not required for high speed internet with either uverse or dsl.

for dsl you're going to need a 2-wire modem if you want Wifi in your home which runs $100 at the att stores. You can get a wired modem for $75 but it has to be connected to the wall so if you're only using a desktop and don't need Wifi for you cellphone or laptops then you can use it and save the $. There is no instatlation required inside the home, they will give you a date that it will be activated outside the home and you just follow the instructions in the box the hook up the wires. give the techs until 8pm on installation day to complete the hook up.

Uverse modems are shipped to your home before the installation date and you can hook them up yourself if you don't want to pay for the tech to hook it up. I don't know why anyone would pay to have a tech come out and hook a wire into the wall. Super easy installation. If you sign up for TV with uverse then it waives the modem fee.

You can order it online although att website is not the easiest to navigate. If you go into a store the promotions possibly are better, they have the activation fee waiver coupons plus packages that save you $ each month. Depending on the speed you want, it will vary on price. Also, if you order it online instead of in store and then you go instore for help with it,We'll just put you on the phone with customer care since that's what you chose to begin with the order. we don't have any order history for anything not done in store.

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    WOW, I stirred up a hornets nest here.:D

I agree AT&T high speed internet is a joke, and plan on going with U verse soon. Sometimes the so called high speed is as slow as my old dial up was.:xmad: I can't seem to get a straight answer from AT&T if I can just get U verse internet. I do not want the phone OR tv, just internet. I like the fact I can hook it up myself. Anymore I just don't like someone I do not know walking around in my house.

Thanks for the info though, with it I plan on cancelling the AT&T phone, and just using cell phones as soon as I can.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    WOW, I stirred up a hornets nest here.:D

I agree AT&T high speed internet is a joke, and plan on going with U verse soon. Sometimes the so called high speed is as slow as my old dial up was.:xmad: I can't seem to get a straight answer from AT&T if I can just get U verse internet. I do not want the phone OR tv, just internet. I like the fact I can hook it up myself. Anymore I just don't like someone I do not know walking around in my house.

Thanks for the info though, with it I plan on cancelling the AT&T phone, and just using cell phones as soon as I can.

Go into a Store location and Have them File an F-case if you can't get a strait answer for uverse. that will take possibly up to a week for the F-case to process but then you'll know for sure. Make sure that you ask your neighbors on BOTH sides of you if they have uverse since they'll need an address right next to you to file the case. If only one neighbor has it and not on the other side of you, you might be too far away in Feet from the box to get a good enough signal to sign up for it. you have to be 2000FT in loop length from the main box to qualify for the services. i would pick either one or the other since the modems are different and you don't want to pay for a modem twice unless it's a while off that you sign up for uverse.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Go into a Store location and Have them File an F-case if you can't get a strait answer for uverse. that will take possibly up to a week for the F-case to process but then you'll know for sure. Make sure that you ask your neighbors on BOTH sides of you if they have uverse since they'll need an address right next to you to file the case. If only one neighbor has it and not on the other side of you, you might be too far away in Feet from the box to get a good enough signal to sign up for it. you have to be 2000FT in loop length from the main box to qualify for the services. i would pick either one or the other since the modems are different and you don't want to pay for a modem twice unless it's a while off that you sign up for uverse.

This is the problem with AT&T's high speed internet where I live. I've had two service men out here and both have told me, "I don't know why they even sold you DSL, you're too far away". The box for Uverse is right at the entrance of the subdivision I live in so Uverse would be no problem.

The deal I want to make with AT&T is, they sold me a service they cannot provide. I want them to waive any charges to install/start up Uverse to compensate me for the lousy servive I have put up with.

Not sure how far I'll get with that one though.:rolleyes:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    They are trying to phase out the DSL. I have had no problems since the switch to UVerse and the billing is even separate from the phone bill.

Top Bottom