• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am reminded that very effective albeit very heavy expedient body armor can be constructed from the treads of steel-belted radial tires. If you absolutely need armor and can't get something more modern and ergonomic, it will work.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am reminded that very effective albeit very heavy expedient body armor can be constructed from the treads of steel-belted radial tires. If you absolutely need armor and can't get something more modern and ergonomic, it will work.

Plus, you look good in the future, battling Slyvester Stallone in Demolition Man!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Before you buy body armor do your homework and find out what style and type will suit your application. I prefer OTV, for training and use it is what will meet the most of my needs. MAKE sure it is sized properly. Armor that is incorrectly sized not only is it uncomfortable, but it can be harmful to use/wear. On the note of it being harmful that includes both the pain, fatigue, and muscular/ skeletal problems from an improper fit. Also an improper fit may allow the armor to not function as it is designed to. And you could actually cause bluntforce trauma to yourself.

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I had always had in mind that some armor was better than no armor.

You probably wouldn't recommend I just head down to Sgt. Smith's and pick up the piece of milsurp armor there that matches my coat size, I would gather.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    fyi

After the flood I had 400 sq feet of ceramic tiles to toss out. I kept a few for targets. I should have kept them all. I placed them between two 1/2 plywood sheets and was shocked at how good they stopped rounds.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This sounds intriguing (and conjures up humorous mental images, btw). Do you have a reference for this?

BTW - Kevlar was originally developed for/used in tires, so this brings it full circle!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom