• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I have a heavy and a medium. It really is heavy especially if you want to add rails etc. I would go with a lightweight if I were to do it again.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In the same setup, a heavier gun will tend to be more stable or perceived recoil will be less. I tend to like heavier guns (pistols and rifles) because I think I can make follow-up shots faster with them. They are, however, more difficult to transition because of inertia.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So they make Light, medium, and heavy barrels? What's the weight difference on 16 and 20" barrels?

There are all kinds of barrel contours/weights out there, from "super bull" (1.125" dia. for the entire length) to "featherweight" (.625" at the gas block and .550" before and after). Here's just a sampling, from one vendor:

AR15BARRELS.COM - Barrel Profiles

Per Bushmaster, a 16" M4 barrel weighs 2.2 lbs, and a 16" HBAR weighs 2.7 lbs. In contrast, a 20" Government profile barrel weighs 2.5 lbs, and a 20" HBAR weighs 3.5 lbs.

Finally, the most critical factor (for me anyway) isn't the weight of the barrel, but how that barrel fits into the gun's overall balance. My Recon Carbine with a 16" medium contour barrel and mid-length gas/rail system is heavier than my M4 by quite a bit, but actually feels more balanced because of how that weight is distributed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Makes sense. I'm torn between 20" and 16" at the moment because I think I'm going to build this on a seperate lower than the INGO Cav Arms lower. I was thinking since that lower will be lightweight, it would make for a good SBR. But since that will take time to get the money for, the upper I buy now Might serve double duty. It would be nice to have an AR that does long range and one that does CQC.

As you can tell I'm still torn on what to make my first AR but i'm leaning to the 20" barrel for now.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As you can tell I'm still torn on what to make my first AR but i'm leaning to the 20" barrel for now.

Unless you plan on shooting beyond 300 yards on a regular basis, the 20" barrel is just unnecessary length and weight, IMO.

A 16" carbine barrel in either the M4 or "pencil" (aka A1) profile would be a good match for the CAV lower. Or one of CMMG's 14.5" mid-length lightweight barrels with a permanently attached FH, if you want as short and light as possible without paying the tax stamp...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The heavy bbl is a bit stiffer, cools a little faster and has less harmonic distortion when fired (I think that's what they call it, some say less whip) and puts a little more weight out front, where I prefer it. The light weight bbls are lighter (duh) and have the center of gravity more towards the rear of the rifle. The 20" heavy bbl is usually found on rifles set up to shoot matches or for long range accuracy. They have a longer sight radius which helps in the accuracy department. The 16" bbls are usually found on rifles used for serious situations like combat/police and defense duties where a smaller size is more important than extreme accuracy. I like the 16" HB rifles better personally. I have shot most types and the 20" HB shoots a hair more accurately than my 16" HB. The lighter weight and Government contour bbls are a little less accurate. They are all capable of more accuracy than I am I'm sure. Just my $.02

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    On a 20" gun, you also have the benefit of the full length gas system. Yeah, .223 doesn't recoil a lot, but it still does recoil. Carbine gas systems are generally referred to as "harsh" compared to rifle systems. I've shot both and I can tell a difference and I like the 20" system better.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Unless you plan on shooting beyond 300 yards on a regular basis, the 20" barrel is just unnecessary length and weight, IMO.

A 16" carbine barrel in either the M4 or "pencil" (aka A1) profile would be a good match for the CAV lower. Or one of CMMG's 14.5" mid-length lightweight barrels with a permanently attached FH, if you want as short and light as possible without paying the tax stamp...

Well, For my first AR I'd like to take it to Appleseed. This one will not be mounted on the Cav lower as I want to make an SBR with it. Probably put a 7 or 10 inch barrel on it. :baby: Again that will come later. I think I will go with the 20" for the long shots. Grab me a bipod forend grip and some good sights and scope and I'll be good to go.

If I would have went with the 16" Upper, it would have had a potato grip/flashlight setup and a red dot. I might still go this route, it just depends what I find in Louisville. :D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    On a 20" gun, you also have the benefit of the full length gas system. Yeah, .223 doesn't recoil a lot, but it still does recoil. Carbine gas systems are generally referred to as "harsh" compared to rifle systems. I've shot both and I can tell a difference and I like the 20" system better.

Good point. I've never really noticed that but I'll try to pay attn next time out with both types. My 20" is a Colt 6700 Comp Match HBAR and is set up for long range shooting and my M4 types are set up with some of the goodies found on most "Tactical" types arms.

Top Bottom