• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im getting ready to order a upper for the lower i just ordered. im not needing a real tack driver. im wanting to be able to hit a coyote at 75-100 yds. i cant decide between a 16 or 20 inch barrel. there will be not scope on the gun it will just be a play toy. any advise? also cheeper the better.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    My advice, go with the 16", if you dont feel that you will be shooting any longer distances. IME the 16" is just as accurate at 200 yds as the longer barrels.

And if you will be carrying it afoot in the field very much its a tad lighter and easier to manuever.

If going with an optic than its not as big as cooncern, but with irons you may want the mid length 16" vs the standard. Longer sight radius and full length gas tube are the ++s.

Do you plan on using a full stock or a carbine length?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    if all youre planning on shooting out to is 100 yds, the 16in would be better. plenty of range and its easier to get in and out of places and whatnot. plus carbines are oh so cool.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i ordered a 6 position stock. and over all length is a condern but not a big one. this gun will probably be in the truck some and it will probably spend alot of time with me in the tractor. i got rid of the only ar i had 6 months or so ago but i had it set up for long range shooting and its basically killing me not to have a ar to play with.

like i said this will be no optics strictly open sighted. im leaning toward the 16 as long as i can hit a pieplate size target pretty regular. ive never had a real short ar so that could be kind of fun.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Check out the 16" dissipator barrels, I think the full 20" sight radius would be a plus for your situation..

cat1132.gif

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    $200-$300 for the barrel, depending on the manufacture.

I just had a 20" cut down to 16", that gave me the full gas system and the sight radius.. That could be an option for you, maybe cheaper as a basic 20" starts around $165.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    if i just buy the barrel i will need

handguards
    gas tube
    flash hider
    reciever rear sight
    charging handle
    bolt

am i forgetting anything

If you get the barrel as pictured (includes FSB and barrel nut), then you'd still need:
    • Gas tube roll pin (doesn't always come with the tube)
    • Delta ring & spring assembly
    • Upper receiver (unless your "receiver rear sight" was two items that ran together)
    • Bolt carrier (unless by "bolt" you meant both the bolt & carrier)
    • Crush washer or peel washer to go behind the flash hider (again, they don't all come with one)

HTH!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you get the barrel as pictured (includes FSB and barrel nut), then you'd still need:
    • Gas tube roll pin (doesn't always come with the tube)
    • Delta ring & spring assembly
    • Upper receiver (unless your "receiver rear sight" was two items that ran together)
    • Bolt carrier (unless by "bolt" you meant both the bolt & carrier)
    • Crush washer or peel washer to go behind the flash hider (again, they don't all come with one)

HTH!

ya that was a bad post i made earlier i was typing faster as fast as i was doing a cheakoff list in my head

i did mean upper reciever and rear sight

i did mean bolt and carrier

i didn't know i needed a washer for behind the flash supperssor or gas tube roll pin or delta ring and spring assembally. years ago i built a few ar-15s but always bought a complete upper.

thanks for the help

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I totally understand the 16" being accurate to 300yrds but don't you think the 20" would be just a little more accurate at 300?

FYI Marines train to shoot with iron sights up to 500 meters. It's not that hard to do. Spend a lot of time on the range and you will be good. This is with 16" and 20" barrels. I would go with 16" because it is lighter and wont be banging on the back of your knees as much depending on how you have it slung.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I totally understand the 16" being accurate to 300yrds but don't you think the 20" would be just a little more accurate at 300?

Maybe, but it doesn't matter much to me; I can hit what I need to hit at 300yds with a 16" barrel, so a 20" would just be more length and weight to schlep around. Others' mileage may vary.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    A 20 inch barrel is not going to be more accurate at 300, it is going to be equally as accurate. The difference is going to come over 550. Just make sure that you have a iron sight that has windage and elevation adjustments. If you want it to hit dead on at 300 meters, set a target at 33 meters and sight it in. The trajectory is exactly the same. Then when you turn the elevation to 2 it will be good for 200 and such.

Top Bottom