• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'd like to get involved in some sort of competitive shooting, but I would rather not travel too far from home (baby on the way, busy with work etc...). I've never shot anything competitively, but it looks like a blast. After a weekend of talking to my cousin who has been shooting 3-gun for a while ( in NC), I've got the itch to take some baby steps to do something. If anyone can give me a lead that would be great! I mainly want to just do it for fun and meet other people.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    You have a lot of choices well under an hour drive for IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, etc. Wildcat Valley and Atlanta Conservation Club just to name 2. Since you specified 3-gun, visit indianamultigun.com for their schedule. Next 3-gun match is April 3rd at Wildcat Valley. Other than that, just stay tuned here on INGO. Most other disciplines keep regular schedules (i.e. 3rd Sunday each month or 1st Saturday, etc.). It may help to visit a match as a spectator to see exactly how they run, although not necessary. Just let them know you are a new shooter when you sign up.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Atlanta (ACC) is just down the road from you and they have monthly matches. I think they are shooting tomorrow if I am not mistaken. You could at least go watch and learn.

There is a thread on this section about it.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I would recommend Competition 101 taught by Coach with Bright Firearms Training. I don't see anything on his current schedule, but he may offer it if there is interest. It is geared toward USPSA. If you are looking for looking to start with handguns and take baby steps, this would be a good way to start. Even though he teaches USPSA, it can easily be used to prepare for IDPA (or ICORE if you shoot revolver).

Almost every match I have shot, there are at least a couple of new shooters. If you have some experience shooting handguns, have practiced drawing from a holster, have taken a course that stresses safety, and have read through the rules, you might want to go out and try a match. Don't hesitate to tell people you are new. You will get plenty of helpful tips. Remember safety is first and foremost.

GunSense LLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Russiaville
    I am in Russiaville. If you want to share a ride, let me know. I try to shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge whenever it fits in my schedule, both at ACC and Wildcat.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Thanks for the replies! I will definitely check these places out. I'd actually prefer to walk around and kinda "soak it all in" and just watch a match. I was on the Bright firearms website the other day, I will check him out more seriously here soon. Formal training would be greatly appreciated! Its been a bad few weeks for scheduling, but things should free up soon.
    Gunsense- I'd take you up on that probably. I just checked out your site too, pretty cool.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom