• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    So I know deer season is a year away but, since I've stuck my first this year I'm addicted..... And by addicted I mean I CANT FRIGGIN WAIT!!!! Yeah I know I have shroom season and all of fishing season but this spring I have decided while out in my woods shrooming I will be trying my hand at a food plot.

I broke down and bought 2 bags of evolved harvest and 1 bottle of radish "mix-in". I have a pretty good idea of where and how big my little plot will be. If I spray herbicide will it affect the plot?? When should I plant so i can hunt it???

I also have been reading for a few days about the soil pH and fertilizer and stuff but I figure the farmer doing all of that on the edge of my plot should be sufficient ??? Or do I need to do my own????

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    So I know deer season is a year away but, since I've stuck my first this year I'm addicted..... And by addicted I mean I CANT FRIGGIN WAIT!!!! Yeah I know I have shroom season and all of fishing season but this spring I have decided while out in my woods shrooming I will be trying my hand at a food plot.

I broke down and bought 2 bags of evolved harvest and 1 bottle of radish "mix-in". I have a pretty good idea of where and how big my little plot will be. If I spray herbicide will it affect the plot?? When should I plant so i can hunt it???

I also have been reading for a few days about the soil pH and fertilizer and stuff but I figure the farmer doing all of that on the edge of my plot should be sufficient ??? Or do I need to do my own????

1. You need a soil test.
    2. Yes, herbicides will kill your plot for the most part. Depends what you are growing and what you are spraying
    3. Planting times vary based on crops and maturity rates.

I will say that spraying roundup before you plant will help greatly. If you till or disc, spray 2 weeks after again. Then plant.

Go to qdma forums...they have a forum just for this topic.

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    Yeah for the past 2 days I've been on QDMA and the major outdoors publications websites. Including evolved harvest, mossy oak biologic, and many other forums google has given me. Thank you sir and I am still in the hurry up wait and read mode!!

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    I would wonder how effective a food plot, for the effort you input, would actually be, unless you are doing this just as a hobby. I've been lead to believe food plots were a way of feeding deer through the spring and summer to improve the heard quality until fall crops were available. In that respect, Indiana soybeans and alfalfa being abundant make these type of food plots, for the most part, unnecessary. Combine that with farmers moving to cover crops (encouraged by NRCS to improve soil quality) that use root crops such as radishes, you may have a lot of effort trying to lure any deer to your plot.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    We plant several food plots at the local conservation club that I am a director at. We use red top clover, winter wheat and turnips. They seem to draw the deer in pretty much year round.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Since it looks as if you have little experience in this area and details about location, accessibility, soil type, soil test, adjacent crops, etc., etc. I would suggest the following:

1. Check with USDA to see if your proposed plot is somehow restricted.
    2. Do a soil test. Your local elevator can tell you how best to take the samples for good results.
    3. Ask a nearby farmer for help to find the best tillage method if any. (He may be willing to help do the work if you return the favor up front.)
    4. Talk to a seed representative (the real kind who sell to farmers not the guy at rural king) about dicamba and/or glyphosate resistant plant seed.
    5. Know your chemical application limits, quantity and method.
    6. Either learn or better yet have someone who knows how show you how and when to plant. (The book could say "plant from May 1st thru June 15th. It will not tell you anything about the variables that will cause crop failure.)

If you are going to do anything do at least this: Get boots on the ground with a farmer or someone experienced growing successful food plots. Don't just look it up on the internet and discuss it with Fred because he has an onion patch out back. There is a lot to doing it right.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Food plotting is a yearly thing for us and some of the habitat clients and hunting friends I help each year.

Some have already touched on the biggest thing and that is the soil test. Don't do one of those cheap crap DIY ones either, get the dirt from a couple spots in the plot and then send it to a reputable place (local or by mail) to get tested. Explain what you're planning on planting and they'll give you proper recommendations for lime applications and than fertilizing.

Speaking of fertilizing if you are going to go fertilization route be sure to research and acknowledge exactly what you are planting and the needs of the specific seeds. Some plants are huge nitrogen consumers...others produce nitrogen...hence fertilizing needs will greatly vary. Also certain seeds have different maturity rates and attract deer at different times of the year depending on date of planting.

As for when to plant it greatly depends strongly on what you are planting and when you want the plant to reach maturity.

A HUGE problem that many people have when it comes to food plotting is skipping all of the above...but also the following: expecting the food plot to simple attract deer and make your hunting better for mature deer.

Simply isn't the case. Slapping food in the ground may cause yearlings (if that even at times) to come and eat during hunting hours but proper approach to design and screening cover for security make or break a food plot's hunt-ability often times.

Good luck, food plotting is an addiction...but ultimately teaches you a lot. While we food plot, don't overlook hinge cutting. Encourages natural browse and ups the tonnage of food available, provides cover, encourages travel or discourages it depending on how it is done as well...and can make for some awesome bedding areas.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I think you need to look around at adjoining property and see if there is anything that is not available for the deer. If your property is surrounded by corn, beans, oats, wheat, alfalfa, etc., that is going to be feeding the deer. You might want to see if you need to plant bedding cover, or some winter food to help carry them over. I have 40 acres that is surrounded by farm fields with corn, beans, wheat, and alfalfa. I tried different food plots for about 5 years, and had no luck. I ended up putting in about 2 ac of warm season grasses and evergreen trees on one side, on the other end I put in some apple trees and about 2 ac of clover and chicory mix. In the middle I put about a 20' strip of clover that goes from one end to the other. No one particular plot is a plot to hunt over, but it gives the deer a variety of things that they can use year round. If you want a food plot that has them coming to your stand to eat at your feet on a daily basis, I don't think there is such a thing, no matter what you see on TV.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co

soybean food plot 1-1-2015

grandson on a doe hunt

deer condo. the plot in the first pic is .9 acre with 3 smaller plots scattered around it almost 2 acre total. soybeans are bout 13% protien and will feed deer and turkey the rest of the winter. in ten years weve never taken a mature buck in the plot. trail cams show the big boys feeding after dark. makes a nice place to take kids as does can be seen about any evening.

Last edited:

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    The bad thing about food plots is this.........is it something to help shoot a deer or is it something that helps the deer in general. What I mean is .....is the products planted like say the beets turnips etc just to draw a deer in to kill it or is it something that the deer can benefit from for more than just deer season. You could plant a high protein clover that helps deer through the spring and summer months plus plant some corn or soybeans to provide the carbs that they need in colder weather. This would give you something to attract them during hunting season and give them something during the year to help them.

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    After reading all this and spending literally the last week ( left old job took a week off ) this is not going to be an easy thing.

First off the little tract of land is only about 20 wooded acres surrounded by ag fields on all sides. This is just a start to bring in some deer and get them healthy. I have a friend who will be turning the 1/4 acre, but have to have it in before the farmer plants the field. My aunt rents out the farm rights due to age. So I can do the soil test. I'm thinking about calling one of the Purdue schools and having them do it maybe or there are a few places I have found online to do it.

After I get it turned come fertilizer and from reading this I need to find out what evolved harvest used in the mixes I bought so I find the right one. Priority #2 (after soil test in spring )

Product #1 ProVide Clover Food Plot with Chicory | 2lbs - Products
    Product #2 Plot Mixer Daikon Radish Additive - Products
    Product #3 is another one from them I can't find. But it's oats and chicory

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The bad thing about food plots is this.........is it something to help shoot a deer or is it something that helps the deer in general. What I mean is .....is the products planted like say the beets turnips etc just to draw a deer in to kill it or is it something that the deer can benefit from for more than just deer season. You could plant a high protein clover that helps deer through the spring and summer months plus plant some corn or soybeans to provide the carbs that they need in colder weather. This would give you something to attract them during hunting season and give them something during the year to help them.

Turnips are actually very good for the deer. They provide lots of protein and are easy to digest. (Food Plot Species Profile: Turnips | Quality Deer Management Association) The food plots we plant are strictly for helping the deer, nobody hunts on the food plots.

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    What is the longevity of turnips? And when do the deer feed on them? I am assuming your nobody hunts food plots statement is sarcasm.

I am talking about the food plots we plant, nobody hunts them. Deer feed on them in late fall and during the winter when food is scarce. We replant every year because we get seed donated to us.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Our turnips and radishes and other leafy brassica plot is still getting hammered. Brassicas are great for late season but extend into days and even months after season closes depending on other food sources.

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    I haven't planned on hunting over it. Going to hinge cut some timber with an entry and exit. But I will be hunting about 100 yds away.

Turnips and brassica are one and done without replanting correct???

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I haven't planned on hunting over it. Going to hinge cut some timber with an entry and exit. But I will be hunting about 100 yds away.

Turnips and brassica are one and done without replanting correct???

That is correct...clover is only plot seed for deer that will last years and years with proper care and overseeding when needed.....chicory to a slightly lessor degree as well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I plants tons of plots! An idea i didn't see mentioned that would be good outside of a traditional food plot is planting some persimmon trees. They love them!

Top Bottom