• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    or is one expensive hobby enough for you.
    i will be starting my open water class this week and am looking for places to dive (this summer). what in out there in NWI, or the rest of the state?

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I did SCUBA when I lived in Florida for 15 years pretty much all open water, West Palm, Gulf, BVI's, I really miss not being able to dive.

I know a guy that dives Michigan a lot, but thats about it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

I remember that from school. Weird.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Not certified, but I have been a few times down in the Caribbean. I could live under the water. Way awesome.

A guy I know discovered Captain Kidd's wreck off the coast of Dominican Republic a few years back. That was pretty cool.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Advanced Open Water with over 60 dives, mostly in the Caribbean but also in Red Sea, Mindanao, Bali, and Atlantic coast of Florida. I do not know of any good diving in Indiana. France Park near Logansport, IN is the best training/practice site I know of in northern Indiana.

I have gone to Gilboa near Ottawa, OH several times. Cold, murky but well marked and a good place to do training dives. It also has a separate section for deep dives, but you have to clear it with the management before you can use it. They are strict about things there. Too many accidents with poorly trained divers.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Advanced Open Water with over 60 dives, mostly in the Caribbean but also in Red Sea, Mindanao, Bali, and Atlantic coast of Florida. I do not know of any good diving in Indiana. France Park near Logansport, IN is the best training/practice site I know of in northern Indiana.

I have gone to Gilboa near Ottawa, OH several times. Cold, murky but well marked and a good place to do training dives. It also has a separate section for deep dives, but you have to clear it with the management before you can use it. They are strict about things there. Too many accidents with poorly trained divers.

Im from Logansport. I belive you can still dive at France Park out on the west end of 24 HOWEVER if ya know some people there is an awesome shut down quarry to dive in on the east end of 24 before you get to town. Have heard from pretty reliable sources there are fish down there as long as a man is tall. :dunno:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    PADI advanced open water....about 200 hours of underwater time....The large fish T Rav mentioned are probably paddle fish...they are common down there and used to be in France Park too....

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    Naui open water since 1984 , used to live in california and dove and spearfished almost every weekend, dove hawaii, cozumel ,grand caymen . Spear fishing is a blast , lobster diving at night also fun. Have lived in indiana for 17 yrs and never once had any interest in diving in murky water.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Took Scuba classes in college (dad was a scuba guy when we lived in Florida) but ruptured my ear drum during one of the exercises and now cannot go more than about 5 feet under water without my ears killing me (oh and clearing them doesn't help)...

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Advanced diver, Rescue Diver, DR1 certified rescue diver for my departments dive team..........although all that is null and void since I blew an eardrum last year. No more diving for me, at least for now. I am going to try again in a year or two.

France Park is good, Blue Springs isn't bad, Metropolis, IL was pretty good. I know there were some of our divers that went cave diving a few years ago out of state and they all loved it.

I unfortunately never really got to dive anywhere nice though.........90% was black water.

Top Bottom