Anyone do gun parts 3D printing commissions, or know where I can get such services?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    My friends who once did such have all moved onto other things, and I don’t have the capabilities currently. So I’m looking for someone who can 3D print something for me before Christmas. The item is a free design by Hoffman Tactical, specifically the Super Safety. Possibly a few of them.

I appreciate it

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful to add by way of finding somebody, but I do have a couple words of caution.

You need to make sure you understand 2 things about the part you're looking for, and that the person you find to print it for you understands them both as well.

First, the Hoffman Tactical Super Safety is an advanced print. Anyone could grab the STL files and print you one in standard PLA or even PLA+, but it will probably not work, and will certainly not hold up. To get a successful working part, you need someone who has a printer capable of printing a high-strength filament like carbon fiber nylon, and preferably with a smaller nozzle size like 0.15 mm, which can provide greater detail than the standard 0.4 mm nozzle. Even printing in a high-strength filament like carbon fiber nylon, though, Hoffman says that the super safety will typically only last a few hundred rounds before needing replacement, so you also need to keep that in mind.

Second, this particular part falls into a category of firearms parts that the ATF currently claims are "machine guns." I am not aware of any action taken by the ATF against the super safety specifically, but given its functional similarity to other parts that are currently the subject of ongoing lawsuits, you need to make sure that you have a very strong mutual trust with whomever you are asking to print this part for you, as you could be opening yourself up to being targeted by the ATF. I am not a lawyer, none of this is legal advice.

I do 3d printing myself, and wouldn't mind printing off a small part here or there to help a brother out and spread the love for the signal, but right now the part you're looking for is both beyond my capabilities, and beyond the risk I'd want to take legally.

That being said, I wish you good luck on your quest! That super safety really is an awesome-looking innovation.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful to add by way of finding somebody, but I do have a couple words of caution.

You need to make sure you understand 2 things about the part you're looking for, and that the person you find to print it for you understands them both as well.

First, the Hoffman Tactical Super Safety is an advanced print. Anyone could grab the STL files and print you one in standard PLA or even PLA+, but it will probably not work, and will certainly not hold up. To get a successful working part, you need someone who has a printer capable of printing a high-strength filament like carbon fiber nylon, and preferably with a smaller nozzle size like 0.15 mm, which can provide greater detail than the standard 0.4 mm nozzle. Even printing in a high-strength filament like carbon fiber nylon, though, Hoffman says that the super safety will typically only last a few hundred rounds before needing replacement, so you also need to keep that in mind.

Second, this particular part falls into a category of firearms parts that the ATF currently claims are "machine guns." I am not aware of any action taken by the ATF against the super safety specifically, but given its functional similarity to other parts that are currently the subject of ongoing lawsuits, you need to make sure that you have a very strong mutual trust with whomever you are asking to print this part for you, as you could be opening yourself up to being targeted by the ATF. I am not a lawyer, none of this is legal advice.

I do 3d printing myself, and wouldn't mind printing off a small part here or there to help a brother out and spread the love for the signal, but right now the part you're looking for is both beyond my capabilities, and beyond the risk I'd want to take legally.

That being said, I wish you good luck on your quest! That super safety really is an awesome-looking innovation.
    Hm, interesting. I’m not looking to do anything that is edgy on legality. I’ve seen clips and heard from others that give it praise, so I thought it was interesting. I don’t even have an AR myself and was hoping to gift the item to someone that is into building them. I’m thinking I should rethink that gift idea. I’m too ignorant to all of this lol

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Hm, interesting. I’m not looking to do anything that is edgy on legality. I’ve seen clips and heard from others that give it praise, so I thought it was interesting. I don’t even have an AR myself and was hoping to gift the item to someone that is into building them. I’m thinking I should rethink that gift idea. I’m too ignorant to all of this lol
    It's one of those things that really shouldn't be edgy on legality, so I hate to even bring it up, but yeah, it sounds like you may want to steer clear of it for the moment, unfortunately.

Also, you may not have seen this if you didn't get too deep into the documentation, but the super safety also requires some small modifications to the trigger in order to work. Nothing too complicated, but if you don't have experience with AR's, or a way of testing one out yourself, they might not make the best stocking stuffer, since they'll require some modification and tinkering to get running right. I know I'd be thrilled to get one as a Christmas gift, but if someone isn't comfortable taking a dremel to their FCG, they might not be as excited, and it's not quite a "plug-and-play" part.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always wanted to try this on small parts like hands for Bacon, Cooper and Manhattan revolvers which are otherwise unavailable.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I have to ask, Why?
    Its not a selective fire part for the trigger group...
    I still think it’s interesting and will instead just tell the person I planned to gift this to about it. They probably already know anyway. I initially was trying to find niche gifts but was ignorant to the technical requirements & controversy surrounding it, so now I don’t feel as comfortable commissioning the work

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    For what it's worth though the Super Safety is a brilliantly simple design for a forced reset trigger. I don't know what peyote that Hoffman fella smoked to have the epiphany about converting the safety to a crossbolt, but it's an awesome idea. Durability might be questionable in PLA, but anyone could print and use a Super Safety for a little while. Or, even, use the 3d print to do an investment cast at home and make it out of metal.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I still think it’s interesting and will instead just tell the person I planned to gift this to about it. They probably already know anyway. I initially was trying to find niche gifts but was ignorant to the technical requirements & controversy surrounding it, so now I don’t feel as comfortable commissioning the work
    I must say, though, I do like where your mind goes when trying to think up Christmas gifts.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    or giving as a gift something that (rightly or wrongly) the ATF will shoot their dogs over

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom