• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    After debating with myself a long time, I finally got around to eating my first groundhog.( I did eat a rockchuck I shot up in the Colorado mountains years ago, but it was only so-so, probably the cooks fault :D). Last Friday morning I shot a fine young (this years) bean-fed, Hoosier groundhog, and decided I was going to cook him on the 4th. Now I kick myself for tossing away all those young ones over the years. They won't get wasted anymore. I'll bet the young ones won't be much tougher in a month or so, but a lot bigger.

It was very easy to skin, basically I cut it up like a squirrel and soaked it overnight in saltwater. I floured it, browned it up in oil then baked it at 325° for about 40 min. till it was nice and tender. Great Eating!! It was tender enough I think I could have finished him on the grill, after a parboil.

I think I'm going to make it a 4th of July tradition.

Enjoy the pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...848/image0071.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Uploaded with Uploaded with ImageShack.us

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...27/image0089l.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Uploaded with Uploaded with ImageShack.us

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...58/image0090c.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Uploaded with Uploaded with ImageShack.us

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...81/image0093d.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Uploaded with Uploaded with ImageShack.us

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol i thought you stole my pictures. i just shot one yesterday after him and my dog decided they needed to fight. hit him at 25 yards w/ open sights on the pistol. right through the eye lol. i took him across the way for the yotes and other vermin, wish i had know they could be good :)

props to you for putting in the test work

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    I dont care much for coon but, there is nothing like a young groundhog. mmmmmm, mmmmmmm good!

They get into their second year.....you can keep em.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I never would've thought of fixing up a groundhog...but I have to admit, those pics made my stomach growl!! Nice explanation on how to fix it up, too!!!:bacondance:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Nothing better than a young whistle pig. Can't believe that folks who eat squirrels will pass on a young groundhog. Did you make any gravy ?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I hear that if you cook a coon like beer can chicken and have a place for the fat to drip down into it's pretty tasty and fairly fat free. I think you need a bigger can though.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Dare ya to eat a coon. ;)

I'd try some, if someone else cleaned and cooked it. I think I draw the line at possum. (for about 2 days if I was hungry)

I think I will do the same thing and take it to work and let everyone try it but not tell them what it is until their done.

My boss and I were talking about doing that. Boil it down and make BBQ out of it . When they ask if its pork or beef, tell em its ground....hog. :):

Nothing better than a young whistle pig. Can't believe that folks who eat squirrels will pass on a young groundhog. Did you make any gravy ?

No, but it looked like good drippings. I tried to make squirrel gravy a couple times, but always turned out greasy and without much flavor. Don't know what I'm doing. Do you add any other spices besides salt and pepper?

I hear that if you cook a coon like beer can chicken and have a place for the fat to drip down into it's pretty tasty and fairly fat free. I think you need a bigger can though.

Sounds good...PM me when its ready :D

Top Bottom