• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Fishers
    maybe I haven't given the Smartcarry its due. I have thought that on a run it would be reduced to a sweaty, sliding around mess and even with modest running apparel the gun would be fairly obvious. Thus the search for a useful fanny pack type of thing. I thought about a waist riding camelbak so it wouldn't scream "gun" quite so much.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If you have ever seen the videos of someone stealing a fanny pack, it is sobering. They are behind you in a crowded area. In one motion they use a hook knife or emergency seatbelt cutter style knife to cut your fanny pack strap and they have it. Money, gun and all. I wouldn't feel confident in a crowd with one.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    A camelbak sounds like a better idea than a fanny pack for sports.

You could always just sling your AR, cross-body, muzzle down. Then you'll have that cool scar in the middle of your back from the pistol grip rubbing a hole in your skin.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    :gheyhi:

Seems kind of like saying "shoot me first"...though you could disguise it with khaki shorts, knee high socks and boat shoes...maybe a hawaiin shirt and a "World's #1 Dad" hat.

Just kidding, anything is better than no gun and for some activities I would probably use one myself (hiking, biking, etc.).

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    maybe I haven't given the Smartcarry its due. I have thought that on a run it would be reduced to a sweaty, sliding around mess and even with modest running apparel the gun would be fairly obvious. Thus the search for a useful fanny pack type of thing. I thought about a waist riding camelbak so it wouldn't scream "gun" quite so much.

Before I started having a problem with one of my knees, I was running 5 miles with a smartcarry. They are washable. I would usually carry a .380 to keep it light but a small 9mm like the KelTec would probably work also. The Smartcarry wraps pretty tightly around you so it does not shift.

I would just wear a pair of loose shorts over my running shorts and the smartcarry between them. No one would know you are carrying.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have one of the Centerline holsters from Comp-Tac on order that is basically a necklace with a holster for the P3AT. I could see that working as well with drawing requiring just popping a button or two.

I'll let everyone know how that works. It might become my main daily carry. That is if I carried at work. Which I surely wouldn't due because of it being against the rules and all. :whistle:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Before I started having a problem with one of my knees, I was running 5 miles with a smartcarry. They are washable. I would usually carry a .380 to keep it light but a small 9mm like the KelTec would probably work also. The Smartcarry wraps pretty tightly around you so it does not shift.

I would just wear a pair of loose shorts over my running shorts and the smartcarry between them. No one would know you are carrying.

Until this post I wasn't convinced with a Smartcarry. I use to play state level soccer and run track and CC as well, and I'm trying to get back into the 5 miles in 40 minutes routine. Maybe I'll give this a try...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Until this post I wasn't convinced with a Smartcarry. I use to play state level soccer and run track and CC as well, and I'm trying to get back into the 5 miles in 40 minutes routine. Maybe I'll give this a try...

If you are going to carry a small pistol, then get the one sized for it. I have the one sized for a 1911 and use safety pins to size it for a smaller pistol but for running the smaller one would work better, IMHO.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    m_deaner, how does your carry setup work with sweat and jostling.

It does jostle a bit when I run... but not too bad. For biking it stays put and is fairly comfortable.

As far as sweat, the Galco fannypack has a sweat shield in it and the gun is pretty well protected, but if you sweat a lot the sweat will soak through the edges of the pack, and some sweat will get on your gun. That's one reason why I carry a Glock in it.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    A camelbak sounds like a better idea than a fanny pack for sports.

To each their own, but I absolutely hate wearing a camelbak. Tons of sweat builds up under the pack and on long rides my back starts hurting.
    A long ride for me is 150-miles + so your situation may vary...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If you have ever seen the videos of someone stealing a fanny pack, it is sobering. They are behind you in a crowded area. In one motion they use a hook knife or emergency seatbelt cutter style knife to cut your fanny pack strap and they have it. Money, gun and all. I wouldn't feel confident in a crowd with one.

most packs have a belt loop on their back, you are supposed to run your belt through it..
    that way if strap is cut your belt keeps the pack..

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    To each their own, but I absolutely hate wearing a camelbak. Tons of sweat builds up under the pack and on long rides my back starts hurting.
    A long ride for me is 150-miles + so your situation may vary...

Got the Breaking Away thing going? I love that movie.

I rode a lot when I was in high school and college but don't much anymore. The camelbak never made my back hurt, but yeah, it would make it sweaty. Not too much of a problem as I mostly run short distances now. I ought to get the bicycles out again.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Got the Breaking Away thing going? I love that movie.

Yeah, that's a great film. And it's interesting to see how Bloomington looked in the early '80s... it sure has changed quite a bit.

I like ultra-endurance cycling. I don't have the build to be competitive at crit/road racing around here (too many hills for me - 6'0" 180lbs) so I gravitate toward the endurance events, and I do fairly well there.

I think that it's a good idea to carry while riding because of the possibility of road-rage incidents, aggressive dogs, and the general vulnerability of being out in the middle of nowhere with limited mobility.

Top Bottom