• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't think this is accurate because I feel like I would have found out or known something was up by now, but I ran across this ad with a 1895 guide gun for sale and this is what it stated.

Tagged as: 45-70 Government Marlin Lever Action Rifle

This is a Brand new never fired Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. .45-70 will be legal for deer next year so this type of rifle has a little more practicality in Indiana now.

Any questions or if you would like any details, just send me an email

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So far as I know, it's not a legal cartridge and would likely be a good way to loose said Gov if stopped by a game warden. I guess it could be made legal if someone wanted to cut down brass- but that's not the best idea in the gov.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    the .45-70 will still be too long under the new deer-legal cartridge requirements...

1.8" max length

The .45-70 is 2.105"

*Buy it and make it your squirrel and rabbit gun

-J-

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I new that ad was full of crap. No desire to own a 45/70 if I can't deer hunt with it.

You can always look into the T/C contender in 45/70. My dad has had one for years, and loves it. Nothing says you cant use a 45/70, just not in a rifle.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The 45-70 is entirely too much gun for a deer anyway.

My uncle bought one for bear hunting and used it deer hunting a few years ago (he lives in Kentucky). The only show he had on the deer was head on, so he shot and the bullet traveled length-wise down the deer's spine, hitting nearly every bone. The bullet was barely mushroomed in the back of the deer.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The 45-70 is entirely too much gun for a deer anyway.

My uncle bought one for bear hunting and used it deer hunting a few years ago (he lives in Kentucky). The only show he had on the deer was head on, so he shot and the bullet traveled length-wise down the deer's spine, hitting nearly every bone. The bullet was barely mushroomed in the back of the deer.

Ballistics on a 45/70 are not that much different than those of a modern muzzle loader, depending on the load and what muzzle loader it might be a little weaker. Better bullet selection and not taking frontal shots would have helped in that one situation.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville

I believe a traditionally loaded .45-70 would be "weaker" than most modernmuzzleloaders. It was a .45 caliber black powder cartridge with loaded with 70grains of black powder. I have a T/COmega .45 caliber in-line muzzleloader that is rated for 150 grains of blackpowder.

Top Bottom