• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'm considering a SIG 290 RS as a new CC.

I saw a couple in the classifieds a few weeks/days ago but missed.

Any owners care to offer up your experiences good and bad.

Thanks...

:ingo:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have one, took a couple mags to get used to it and learn the trigger but once you do, it's pretty accurate (don't go slow and "stage" the trigger) and I haven't shot with the 8rd mag in well over a year.

It carries pretty well and overall has been extremely reliable. I have had several light strikes, but they've all been ammo related. Some light strikes were with old corrosive Interarms ammo (light striked in my M&P too) and the others were with my reloads that I didn't seat the primer all the way (out of the same batch I had a couple light strike in my Hi Power). First pull went click, second pull sent them off.

But running factory ammo or loads where my primer is actually seated correct, it works great. I think the highest round count I went without cleaning was close to 700, and the only reason I cleaned it was the corrosive ammo.

The 938 is a little lighter, but I'm perfectly happy with my 290 in reliability and concealability (even if it a damn polymer gun :( )

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Be sure that any 290 that you buy is a P290RS. This means that the trigger can be pulled multiple times on the same round. (a big help if you have some chintzy ammo) Most P290s are marked as RS on the slide, but some of the early ones were factory modified and not marked. The treason for the modification was to correct a problem. I don't remember what that problem was. The P290RS is a good carry gun.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Be sure that any 290 that you buy is a P290RS. This means that the trigger can be pulled multiple times on the same round. (a big help if you have some chintzy ammo) Most P290s are marked as RS on the slide, but some of the early ones were factory modified and not marked. The treason for the modification was to correct a problem. I don't remember what that problem was. The P290RS is a good carry gun.

The original 290s had an issue for light striking, which I believe was caused by inconsistent or oversizes firing pin blocks

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have one in 9mm and it's a great little gun. I carry it in a crossbreed and can barely tell its there. I've never experienced the issues the others have, but I also don't have near the rounds through mine yet. It's just as accurate as my full size gun which seems crazy with the teeny tiny barrel. Good choice for a carry gun OP :yesway:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Found mine while shopping for a smaller pocket-pistol. I picked up the RS version in 9mm. I'm not sure I'll use the re-strike option after years of slap-rack practice. After nearly 100 rounds through it, 87 to be exact (Fed 147g HST), I've had zero issues thus far.
    A fellow member made me a couple of holsters (pocket and IWB) and a spare mag holder and the thing is a dream to carry every day.
    A bit of a bastard to fieldstrip until ya get it figured out.
    I chose it over all of the other popular, pocket-sized compact 380s and 9s, and has replaced my Shield for EDC.
    Get ya one, they're out there for well under Sig's MSRP.

Last edited:

dustinfz6r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    East Indy /Pendleton
    I have one as well, with about a hundred rounds down it and I've never experienced any issues with it. If you have never shot a Sig, the trigger may take some getting use to but it's a great little gun.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I was looking through the case at one of these the other night. I've really been wanting an XD-S now that they are available for $400 but the 290RS is a neat looking little gun. Seems like it would be nice and small without going too small, but like you I noticed that they do not get talked about much. I assume it is because the 290 had issues, but the 290RS seems like a solid gun and I do not see hardly any major complaints. It's just that I don't see a ton on it in general. Might be harder to find holsters for and the like due to it not being widespread. For $300 though it seems like a good deal to me anyway.

Sig Sauer 290RS EDC 9mm 3" 6+1 Rnd - $299 (Free S/H over $199) | Slickguns

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/95324

I'm considering one, but I sure do like the XD-S. I need to go handle one of these a little more I guess as it has been a while now since I last touched one.

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Of course PSA is out of stock on free shipping weekend. What else is new

Thanks for the info Razer. I agree, I need some fondling time as well.

I like the LC9 but the double strike would be nice. Even a i-tac defence roto holster would be a nice addition.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I had an RS with the laser. The pistol itself was a solid little shooter. I want another one, but would not get the laser. Mags for it are typical Sig, which are more expensive than they need to be. I carried mine in a cargo pocket, or on my hip in the little paddle holster that came with the pistol.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Just wondering if Padawan ended up getting a 290? I've been kicking the idea around and wanted to find out your initial impressions if you did.

Woody

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I had one. Paid too much for it due to my purchase right after Newtown. Value of gun plummeted. People think they are junk...due to initial release of non-RS models. <Restrike>. I ended up selling it for a huge loss but overall, for what it is...its a OK gun. I don't like the DAO design...and may have learned my lesson on it. The trigger was nice and smooth thru the long pull. Much better than the LC9.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I finally got wifey into the gun shop and the synchronicitous presence of one of her favorite jailor/probation officers relaxed her enough that she was finally comfortable just trying a few out and pawing them. Having learned about her aversion to stiff slides from the beautiful Kahr CW40 that she got for Christmas and then rejected outright, we got permission to rack the slides on the ones she liked. As luck would have it, the 290 won out. Dammit. I wanted one for ME! I guess we'll be doing some dickering as soon as I can surrender the CW40 to its new owner, whoever he is. Anybody like kahrs? LOL.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I tried the triggers on both a 290RS and a 250C at Gander Mountain one night. Didn't like the 290RS. Have a 250C in 22LR on order and a 9mm Xchange kit waiting. The 250's trigger is great--very Kahr-like.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The triggers on the 250's are nice. My wife gave me a 320 for Christmas, I liked it so much I now have two. I plan on checking for a 22 conversion kit for it soon.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The magazines look flimsy and can be a little delicate. When I tried shooting some random old JHP out of my P290RS, the gun misfed. When I pulled the magazine out, the unfired rounds sprayed out and the follower went down range after them. Sig replaced the magazine. I don't care for the trigger either. Probably going to get rid of it soon.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The triggers on the 250's are nice. My wife gave me a 320 for Christmas, I liked it so much I now have two. I plan on checking for a 22 conversion kit for it soon.

I hope Sig or the aftermarket comes up with a 22 LR conversion or Xchange kit for the P320. Not sure if this is possible technically, but I think it'd be a hit if done right.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I hope Sig or the aftermarket comes up with a 22 LR conversion or Xchange kit for the P320. Not sure if this is possible technically, but I think it'd be a hit if done right.

I do too! I plan on getting a conversion for the 226 but would love to Have one for the 320. One for the 224 would be nice, that is my wife's edc and would be a great Christmas gift.

Top Bottom