• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    There's also a kit now to use a 2-dr JK rear seat for a foreward facing 3rd row.

| TeraFlex Suspensions

$300 for the brackets alone?
    CerealSpitting.png

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My mom is wanting me to look at a 97 Grand with 147k (unknown to me what engine). What should I look for in it? I know what to look for in XJ's, not so much the Grands.

Biggest thing is make sure it drives out good. Transmission problems are quite common in ZJs. If it has anything other than a NP231 for transfercase (2, 4hi, N, 4L) put in 4 all time and do a tight, parking lot type turn on dry pavement. It should turn smooth, not jump or jerk around like it would in 4hi on a regular tcase. If its got the 5.2l, lower intake leaks are common, may cause it to run rough at times, but should still run. If you are concerned about rust, check the floorboards, the bottom edges of the doors and hatch, and where the front fenders meet the pinch weld by the front doors. Those are the most common places to find rust. Control arms like to rust as well sometimes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If the 249 is toast you can swap in a 242 or 231.

FWIW you can use a Tcase with a shorter input (of course you can yank your input and put it in your new case, but if you have a slightly shorter one there's no need).

It just won't meet up with the transmission seal.

Degrease the outer of the transmission case, fill the pockets with RTV, the drain hole area and then a bead around the whole thing. Slap it together and add a little extra fluid to the transmission.

Used 242, couple of wrenches, rebuilt rear driveshaft (shortened)..........total cost $305.
    5 hrs to get it out, get everything like it should be..........30 mins to put new one in.

Toasted 249 aint a big deal.......if you can leverage it for a good buy ;)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The ZJ is a no go.

The abs light was on, the alignment was real bad, and the battery was shot. Those were the small issues. The big issue I had was when I shifted it into 4hi, ft, 4lo and then back into 2wd, it seemed as though the ZJ was still in 4wd mode even though the gear selector was not and the drivers information center said it wasn't.

mtb1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    +1 for Jeep. I'm on my second one (JK wrangler) and I love them! Got to be Red with a black top though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The ZJ is a no go.

The abs light was on, the alignment was real bad, and the battery was shot. Those were the small issues. The big issue I had was when I shifted it into 4hi, ft, 4lo and then back into 2wd, it seemed as though the ZJ was still in 4wd mode even though the gear selector was not and the drivers information center said it wasn't.

Hmmm, nice items to reduce price IMHO. ABS light on.........I hate ABS, brakes work fine without it- wish the dash logo for ABS was bigger, being on all the time it would have made for nice aux interior lighting.

Alignment..........shot C arm or tracbar bushings? Cheap fix.

Shifting back and forth on pavement can make some T cases bind. Did you go fwd and back, or take it to a gravel road and test the T case? Many folks with grocery getters never use some shift points on the T case.

Might have just been a linkage issue.

Even if you ID the problems as minor, until you get in there you really don't know for sure. Not saying you should lie, never do that, but you don't have to let a possible seller know you can fix the issues with minimal cost/work.

Small stuff would gouge you if taking it to a shop. You can certainly point out problems and standard costs to fix them, at a shop, and let a seller drop his price accordingly.

You then have the option to pay for the fixes or do them yourself and possibly score a bargain.

Guy yrs ago had a CJ, blew a hub (D20). Paid some shade tree to fix it, blew again. Thought it then rear end (since he just had it fixed). Had 3500 on it, before it broke, buddy got it for 1500. $125 more and the rear was fixed (shadetree just didn't seat the hub on the axle fully, IIRC takes 250 ft lbs of torque).

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Transfer case was shifted into 4wd on gravel. It was shifted out of it on gravel also. When I noticed the different feel, found another gravel area to shift it into 4wd again and back out.

If I was buying it, I would have tried to go down to around 1200-1400, but since it was for my mom, we needed a vehicle that wouldn't need that much work.

What she ended up getting was a 2003 Ford Windstar with 110k. The only issues is that the a/c compressor needs replaced (salvage yard gave her a spare compressor, so 80 dollars in labor and freon should fix it), rear a/c blows warm air, and the alignment is a few inches off.

2012-08-04_13-50-47_356.jpg

She paid 2700 for it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    WJ fan wouldn't shut off.
    Showed the ol' lady how to pop the relay so she could run it til the weekend.
    Deer in headlights look (after showing her 3 times) said to me.........."fix it now" (had run home from work).
    Relay is under pass headlight assembly, under grill support. Pull bumper fascia, or cut hole in grill support- Dremel it was!
    Still not fun, after smashing fingers Monday at work. Little room to maneuver.
    Done, relay was $53.
    Think whoever engineered that deal needs an arse beatin'.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    whoever wired the offroad lights on my land rover needs an arse beatin.. used a spade connector into a relay, placed it right side up so any water would collect in it and short out the goods.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh it gets better........I gotta put a new flasher relay in mine (behind the glovebox reportedly).

Also need a replacement hatch (white) due to rust (haven't found a decent one at Pic a Part yet).

And I'm trying to find 2 used but decent 32"x11.50 tires (avoid buying two new MTRs).

My motivation is a bit lacking.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    A Jeep here too!

In fact I recently returned from Colorado for my Jeep fest 2012. I camped in some awesome places and drove some beautiful trails.

dsc06894f.jpg

dsc06836um.jpg

dsc06843g.jpg

dsc07522c.jpg

dsc07211f.jpg

And at the Badlands...

dsc01825e.jpg

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    I know it has been talked about, but this fall, there will be a day when we get together at Badlands. The reason there is because my stocker won't do much because of ability and needing it to drive home afterwards. I need to do some work on it right now though (minor things and then the wheel bearing units).

Top Bottom