Any good recipes for venison loin (backstrap)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, so I'm "easing" my wife into venison.

Her first tasting of it was last December right after I finished butchering a young buck. We fried up the tenderloins fresh, right away. She said it was pretty good.

Tonight I pulled a half loin out of the freezer because it needs to be used. But I don't want to screw it up and turn her off of venison. So now I'm looking to you for help.

I read a recipe online where you wrap it in bacon and cover in a soy sauce/bro. sugar mixture and bake it. Sounded good, but the picture looked like a tenderloin, not a loin. Would this recipe still work well on a loin?

Any other favorite?

Don't be afraid to make it "complicated" or "above my abilities". I can cook just about anything given the right recipe/information.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It'll work. You can make half a loin like that. Slather in butter and brown sugar with a little worcerstershire, wrap in bacon. Then wrap in foil, throw it in the oven at 325 or so for about an hour- hour and a half. You can do the same with a hind quarter, but bump the time to 3-4 hrs. If you cut one of loins into butterfly steaks, I like those marinaded overnight in some type of acidic concoction of your design (cola, sprite, fruit juice, worc. sauce, spices) then cooked on med/ med. low heat until med. or med/rare in skillet. Venison should be cooked on lower heat than beef, and its best a little pink.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    If she isnt a fan of the "gamey flavor" some venison has... soaking it in Coca Cola overnight will all but completely remove that flavor. I soak it in CocaCola, with a lil soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. That is how I have gotten some of my family members to eat my deer roast that dont like venison. They commented on the second plate that the beef had a different texture... and were surprised to find out that it was venison. Definitely leave a lil pink in it when cooking as well.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    soy or terryiaki(sic?) covers up almost every flavor. Marinade over night and make into kabobs. That is the only way I can get my wife to eat it. Good luck.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    It'll work. You can make half a loin like that. Slather in butter and brown sugar with a little worcerstershire, wrap in bacon. Then wrap in foil, throw it in the oven at 325 or so for about an hour- hour and a half. You can do the same with a hind quarter, but bump the time to 3-4 hrs. If you cut one of loins into butterfly steaks, I like those marinaded overnight in some type of acidic concoction of your design (cola, sprite, fruit juice, worc. sauce, spices) then cooked on med/ med. low heat until med. or med/rare in skillet. Venison should be could on lower heat than beef, and its best a little pink.:rockwoot:

Totally agree with the above. I love to cut it into stew sized pieces lightly bread and fry in butter not to high to burn the buter. Just don't cook it like this when/ if she is pregnant as that smell all but ruined my wife' taste for venison ;) I grind it in a food processor and put in chili or small pieces in a nice croc pot stew. We just made the last 5 lbs or so into jerky that we smoked. Man for some reason I'm gettin a little hungry :D

Good luck out there.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I am getting hungry too reading this. Chili is great with venison. Gonna have to make some this week with our tomato juice canned this year. I love making a huge pot and freezing some serving size portions. There is no better lunch in winter than that.

My wife is not too hot on venison as well. Will have to try marinading with a little Pepsi and see if that helps. I use worcerstershire and soy sauce and pepper them as I grill any steaks or loins. Thanks for the tips.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One other thing that works well is to run your steak through a cuber to tenderize, I really like those breaded and fried with gravy and mashed taters! You get more mileage out of your lesser steak cuts if you get a cuber. If no cuber or tenderizer you can get hand tenderizers or just pound them with a tenderizing hammer. since I started using the cuber I get about 50/50 steaks to burger on each deer I butcher.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Grill it like a beef tenderloin/filet mignon. Open fire (reuced to coals) tastes best, IMO.

I also like pan fried with butter, then cut into medallions.

You can use bacon or oil if you want, venison is VERY lean.

A little salt a little pepper.

For less "venison" flavor hunt cornfields/farms instead of oak/pine forests.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I soak it in italian dressing for about two hours. Then take it out, pat it dry, and roll it in black pepper and some powdered garlic. Wrap it in bacon and grill it on a hot grill for a couple minutes on each side. We eat ours medium rare.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    My favorite is to take a deer roast and put it in the crock pot on low over night, then a couple hours before we are to eat I fill the crock up with cut potatoes, califlower, brocili no salt and a little pepper has to be cooked slow!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i do it a couple different ways lol. when fresh i just cube the back straps, throw some garlic and butter in a pan. start browning the meat then douse in soy sauce. cook to medium and eat. yummmmm.

my other go to recipe is use salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. then wrap in bacon, cut up some onions, mushrooms, peppers wrap it all up in aluminum foil, cook low and slow on the grill to medium.

everyone who has eaten either of the above thought it was amazing and didn't know it was venison until told.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    To get rid of the wild taste take the white membrane off the outside. That is where your wild taste is.

Use a fillet knife and fillet the membrane off the outside. I bone the whole deer and separate each muscle. Then I fillet off all the membrane I can.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Good Lord man, its a prime cut from a young deer. Dont fry it, smash it, tenderize it or cover up the flavor! Thats like saying to take a filet mignon and grinding into burger.
    First of all remove all the silver skin. Thats the thin but very tough layer that holds the muscle together. (its so tough..... how tough is it?) Indians used it to back their bows with to make then stronger. True
    The tried and true methed is to cut it into about 8 oz steaks across the grain. Put just a tad of olive oil, salt and pepper. Now put a strip of bacon around the outside and secure with a tooth pick. Grill it to med rare ( about 135 degrees). If you over cook it IT WILL GET TOUGH AND DRY. Thats because its very lean. Now when you take it off, wrap it in foil and let it "rest" for about 10 minutes. This will keep it juicy but keep in mind it is still cooking.
    Now for a special occasion, try this:Put a bit of EVOO in a pan and flash each side of the fillet for about 45 seconds. Take them out and dredge them in blue cheese that is melted in a double broiler, then dredge in Panko bread crumbs. Finish in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes untill the temp is 135. Serve with a nice red wine like Shiraz or cabernet savignoin ( not sure how to spell)

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Slice it 1 3/4 to 2" thick..

I fix mine this way for the wife and daughters and everyone loves it. Slice it about 2" thick, like a nice fillet steak, wrap a slice of thick cut bacon around the outside and secure with a toothpick. Place on the grill and fill the top with worcestershire sauce. Cook to your desired taste (like mine medium). Turn over half way through cooking and add a little more sauce.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good Lord man, its a prime cut from a young deer. Dont fry it, smash it, tenderize it or cover up the flavor! Thats like saying to take a filet mignon and grinding into burger.

I agree, my suggestion of tenderizing should only be done to LESSER cuts (ie tip steaks, rd. steaks, etc.) ,as I said, you can get more steaks out of a deer that way. It's a sin to do this to loins. My post was more about cooking venison in general. :yesway:

Top Bottom