• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I recently had the idea that it would be fun to hunt deer with old anique weapons such as Trapdoor Springfields and Sharps rifles or replicas that fired blackpowder cartridges. However current DNR regulations wont allow this even tho the weapons wouldnt provide any advantage over modern weapons already allowed specifically if limited to iron sights and cartridges loaded with blackpowder.

I sent the DNR an email with my suggestions so if anyone else has the same interests as I do maybe send them an email as well and who knows maybe this is something that could be considered.

I think knocking down a deer with a Sharps rifle would be pretty fun.:patriot:

Before people say that they saw the movie Quigley Down Under and he shot a water pale at a 1000 yards so that makes them dangerous or more powerful. Just remember that while possible it was still a movie and secondly that most people in Indiana would be hard pressed to find a 200+ yard shot let alone posses the skill to do so with a vintage weapon using irons.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qmFmOJ-q-Y[/ame]

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I had this same conversation with my father last night. He has a sharps chambered in .50 govt. and he is really, really wanting to take it hunting this season....

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I had this same conversation with my father last night. He has a sharps chambered in .50 govt. and he is really, really wanting to take it hunting this season....

Im pretty sure 50 govt is also called 50-70 government and that is a legal round according to indiana's regulations. Its cartridge shorter that 1.8 inches and bullet diameter is obviously over .357 so you should be good to go! Loaded ammo is a bit expensive but it can be resonably handloaded for alot less.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

.50-70 Government

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

.50-70 Government
    TypeRiflePlace of originUSAService historyIn service1866-1873Used byUSAProduction historyDesigned1866SpecificationsCase typeRimmed, straightBullet diameter.515 in (13.1 mm)Neck diameter.535 in (13.6 mm)Base diameter.565 in (14.4 mm)Rim diameter.660 in (16.8 mm)Rim thickness.065 in (1.7 mm)Case length1.75 in (44 mm)Overall length2.25 in (57 mm)Primer typeLarge rifleMaximum pressure22,500 psi (155 MPa)Ballistic performanceBullet weight/typeVelocityEnergy425 gr (27.5 g) Lead SP1,448 ft/s (441 m/s)1,979 ft·lbf (2,683 J)550 gr (36 g) Lead FN1,375 ft/s (419 m/s)2,310 ft·lbf (3,130 J)400 gr (26 g) SP1,849 ft/s (564 m/s)3,037 ft·lbf (4,118 J)Test barrel length: 28"
    Source(s): Accurate Powder [1]The .50-70 Government cartridge was a black powder round adopted in 1866 for the Springfield Model 1866 Trapdoor Rifle. The cartridge was developed after the unsatisfactory results of the .58 rimfire cartridge for the Springfield Model 1865 Trapdoor Rifle.
    The .50-70 Government cartridge became the official cartridge of the US military until replaced by the .45-70 Government in 1873. The .50-70 cartridge had a pressure limit of 22,500 PSI.[1]
    The official designation of this cartridge at the time of introduction was "US Center-fire Metallic Cartridge", and the commercial designation .50-70-450, standing for :
    Caliber .50
    Powder Charge 70 grains (4.5 g) black powder
    Bullet Weight 450 grains (29 g)[2]
    Since this cartridge is no longer commercially produced, reloaders have experimented with a variety of bullet weights from 425 to 600 grains (39 g) in weight. There is evidence that a reduced load version of this cartridge was officially produced for use in Sharps carbines converted to metallic cartridge ammunition, as well as cadet rifles. This used a 430-grain (28 g) bullet and 45 grains (2.9 g) of powder.
    [edit] See also

30px-Commons-logo.svg.png
    Wikimedia Commons has media related to: .50-70 Government
    [edit] References

1. ^ a b .50-70 Govt data from Accurate Powder
    2. ^ Col. J.G Benton, "Springfield Breech Loading Rifle Musket, Model of 1868", United States Army, 1868

This ammunition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Sounds like your dad has a sharps conversion. One that was converted from percussion to centerfire. Thats a nice weapon:D Pictures!!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't think decades of deer management and hunting regulations should be revamped every time some kid get's an "...ideer something would be fun...".

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I wouldn't mind hunting with my Enfield in .303 British. Maybe one day...I can at least go out west with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    With X bows, EHD and instant check in........expect the deer numbers to drop to where you'll wish they allowed 7mm Rem Mag rifles so you could get a deer once in a while ;)

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I don't think decades of deer management and hunting regulations should be revamped every time some kid get's an "...ideer something would be fun...".

With over 20 years of hunting experience(since I was 4) Id hardly define myself as "KID". I merely suggested the use of some weapons that are not anymore powerful than whats allowed under the current rules and regulations. Just because your an old fogey who resists change doesnt mean I have to be.

"Thats not how I did it in my day" "you little whipper snapper":fogey:

Funny thing is Im suggesting using a weapon thats probably 100 years older than you its not like Im saying lets go use a Dillon Aero Minigun for cryin out loud.

I guess a using highpowered rifle would also allow you to break bag limit rules also??
    Isnt that the real issue if we all follow the bag limits then how can a weapon be an issue??

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    With X bows, EHD and instant check in........expect the deer numbers to drop to where you'll wish they allowed 7mm Rem Mag rifles so you could get a deer once in a while ;)

7mm Mag or not alot of people hunt dense woods anyway only 20 or 30 percent would get to use the 7mm mag to its full potential. Its funny tho how everybody thinks we are gonna kill out all the deer. I guess suggesting using a nearly 200 year old single shot rifle was the straw that broke the camels back:D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    7mm Mag or not alot of people hunt dense woods anyway only 20 or 30 percent would get to use the 7mm mag to its full potential. Its funny tho how everybody thinks we are gonna kill out all the deer. I guess suggesting using a nearly 200 year old single shot rifle was the straw that broke the camels back:D

I'm not the type to ask that the rules be changed to fit my special interests.
    Not a fan of such liberal mentality.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    With over 20 years of hunting experience(since I was 4) Id hardly define myself as "KID". I merely suggested the use of some weapons that are not anymore powerful than whats allowed under the current rules and regulations. Just because your an old fogey who resists change doesnt mean I have to be.

"Thats not how I did it in my day" "you little whipper snapper":fogey:

Funny thing is Im suggesting using a weapon thats probably 100 years older than you its not like Im saying lets go use a Dillon Aero Minigun for cryin out loud.

I guess a using highpowered rifle would also allow you to break bag limit rules also??
    Isnt that the real issue if we all follow the bag limits then how can a weapon be an issue??

It's got nothing to do with being fogey or just started yesterday. It's got to do with hunting and hunting rules should be made with hunting as the main concern not what you get and ideer about or think is fun.

If you think hunting is fun, then read the rules and hunt. If it's not then don't hunt. It's not the hunting community or regulators responsibility to make it fun for you.

The rest of your guesses, hyperbole and bluffery you can answer yourself if there's any of your own questions you haven't already answered. I don't care to follow it all.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom