• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    I read jgriener's 'word of warning' about his brother being scammed by the girl who came to his door wanting a ride.

Quite a few years ago, there was a case in Denver where a women had had her purse stolen at a bus station. She got a phone call from a stranger saying that he had been the one who had stolen her purse and that he'd had an attack of religious remorse and that if she would not call the police, he would meet her at the bus station and return the purse with all of its contents.

She told him "Yes", she'd meet him and went to the bus station. While she was waiting for him to show, he was busy robbing her house that he'd entered using her keys and the address from her license.:xmad:

Maybe we should have a 'word of warning' sticky/thread or something. There are some real rats running loose out there.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I read jgriener's 'word of warning' about his brother being scammed by the girl who came to his door wanting a ride.

Quite a few years ago, there was a case in Denver where a women had had her purse stolen at a bus station. She got a phone call from a stranger saying that he had been the one who had stolen her purse and that he'd had an attack of religious remorse and that if she would not call the police, he would meet her at the bus station and return the purse with all of its contents.

She told him "Yes", she'd meet him and went to the bus station. While she was waiting for him to show, he was busy robbing her house that he'd entered using her keys and the address from her license.:xmad:

Maybe we should have a 'word of warning' sticky/thread or something. There are some real rats running loose out there.

Acually, this happens quite often. I know somebody in Seattle that had a UPS package stolen. The girlfriend of the Thief contacted him via Facebook and wanted to return the package. I warned him of the scam and he left someone to watch his place while he went for the pickup. The girlfreind never showed, but someone did show at his home while he was gone. The friend watching his house scared them off and all he got was a partial plate number & description, but you bet your sweet bippy if he hadn't been there the house would have been cleaned out.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    But yet you see countless people on Facebook posting when they are leaving, away or not going to be home for various reasons. Then there's Facebooks "nearby" feature that shows where a user is currently at and NOT at home.

And how many here have been hit up by a stranger for money because they ran out of gas or their car broke down and they need to get home.

Common sense. Know when to use it.

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    ...another one (I guess this tends to happen in cities more than small towns), apparently there are thieves that read the obituaries for funeral times, and rob the houses while the family is at the funeral. Cute, huh? Rat bast*#ds.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    ...another one (I guess this tends to happen in cities more than small towns), apparently there are thieves that read the obituaries for funeral times, and rob the houses while the family is at the funeral. Cute, huh? Rat bast*#ds.

Yep happened to my wife's kid when her husband died at 27!

Sad!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a friend give a day by day update of his vacation on facebook. When he got home, the house was empty, the theives took a lot of time sifting through everything.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've had to convince my wife to not post anything about being out of the house until after we get home.

There's a website called Please Rob Me that tries to raise awareness of over sharing on social media sites.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Another good read for BGs used to be wedding announcements. In the old days (40 years ago) they used to print not just the pictures and wedding dates but would also give the church, time and where the reception would be. My younger brother was married on a Saturday and I was the first one into our plumbing shop on Monday morning. A window had been broken out (a lot of scrap pipe in the yard makes a good hammer) and the files were all rifled, desk drawers dumped on the floor and the safe laying on its side popped open. Scared the sh** out of me standing in a room that some thugs had been in only hours before.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    only proves what i've been telling my kids for years...don't trust anyone....cops only want to arrest somebody..so don't give up information when they stop you...your employer cares less about you or your safety..the only ones who care if you come home from work are you and the dog..and everyone else in the world..including relatives only want your money..

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA

A friend of mine actually had this happen when his mom died. There's some real low lives out there.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County

Yep happened to my wife's kid when her husband died at 27!

Sad!

A friend of mine actually had this happen when his mom died. There's some real low lives out there.

That's it. I'm changing my funeral plans to be "Family needs to take what they want out of the house immediately upon my death, leave everything else and burn the house down around my corpse." They can roast wieners and marshmallows over the bonfire for a funeral reception. :n00b: :D

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The local football team was away playing for the Semi-state last night. I couldn't believe how many people were posting on Facebook that they were at the game and not home. And don't believe for a minute that only your friends can see what you are posting.

My son is guilty as well. The way I look at it is when you do something like this you can unknowingly place your family members in danger. What happens when that BG breaks in to find a mother and 2 small children alone and unprotected in a house that was supposed to be empty?

Top Bottom