• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ". . . Department of Transportation regulations prohibit me from doing so in a commercial vehicle.”

First of all, great story and thank you for sharing with us.

On another note, you may want to look for a citation for the regulation you mentioned above. I don't think you'll find one. I understand that many truck drivers and owners of commercial vehicles believe that such a regulation exists, but this topic has arisen at least 3-4 times in the last year on various forums and no one had found the alleged regulation yet (because it doesn't exist).

Now, your employer may have forbidden you to have a gun in the truck, or they may have told you that it's against DOT regs, but . . .

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    First of all, great story and thank you for sharing with us.

On another note, you may want to look for a citation for the regulation you mentioned above. I don't think you'll find one. I understand that many truck drivers and owners of commercial vehicles believe that such a regulation exists, but this topic has arisen at least 3-4 times in the last year on various forums and no one had found the alleged regulation yet (because it doesn't exist).

Now, your employer may have forbidden you to have a gun in the truck, or they may have told you that it's against DOT regs, but . . .

You know...sometimes, I start thinking I'm pretty freakin' smart and stuff.

Then, somebody like you shows up and learns me real good.

I've always been told it was illegal, never bothered to check for myself, and complied like a good little sheep.

Turns out that nowhere does it say it's illegal, it's just forbidden by my employer.

I guess I got me some wiggle room now, don't I? ;)

Thanks.

:yesway:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Someone call the Department of Transportation and ask.

I've heard the same thing and never questioned it.

I certainly wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Walter Zoomie always has good posts... his writing skills are tremendous.

His blog is cool too... good guy he is.

Semper Fi!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Turns out that nowhere does it say it's illegal, it's just forbidden by my employer.

Thanks.

Absolutely, sir! You never know until you check for yourself.

This is understandable, because the belief in this non-existent DOT regulation is ingrained in the trucking industry's group mind. If you ask 1000 truckers, the majority who care will tell you it's against the regs. Most employers will probably do the same, even if they know better.

Stay safe!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had lunch at a Wendy's at the mall in Lafayette before the holidays. I was OC'ing as is normal for me. Behind me was an older lady she asked "Are you an officer?" My reply was "No ma'am." She smiled and said "I wish more people would carry like that the Country was a lot better when men carried guns. People were just so much more mannerly when someone might thump them if the misbehaved."

I think that sentiment is more common among those that have some age on them. A lot of the fear of guns comes from the younger folks that have lived in a world dominated by too much TV. To them, a handgun is only used for crime, not to defend against it.

Tim

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    On our 2nd date my girlfriend (now wife) said she had heard I carried a gun. After I aknowledged, she asked to see my pistol. (yes pistol!) I unloaded it and handed it to her. After looking at it for 1 minute, she said " I think guns are Manly". I knew she was a KEEPER!

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You know...sometimes, I start thinking I'm pretty freakin' smart and stuff.

Then, somebody like you shows up and learns me real good.

I've always been told it was illegal, never bothered to check for myself, and complied like a good little sheep.

Thanks.

:yesway:

I have had many on other truck forums say it was illegal to have a firearm in a CMV before.

I post Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and say "find it for me'.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Not written by me....

Why I have a Gun:
    My old grandpa said to me 'son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'.

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
    I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
    I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
    I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
    I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
    I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
    I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
    I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
    I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
    I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.
    Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I am asked why I carry a gun, I tell then for the same reasons I carry a first aid kit, a spare tire and insurance. Just in case I need it.

I've responded with the statement that it is no different than life insurance. You have it, but pray to god you will never need to use it while having the faith that if you do need to use it, your family will be better off because you had the foresight to get it. People don't think twice about buying a variety of insurance types. The same folks that will not let their kid ride a bike outside their immediate field of view because they just know that the neighborhood is filled with murderers wandering around, looking to abduct kids are totally put off by someone that believes in having the ability to defend themselves or their family.

The world was a better place when kids rode their bikes and more folks carried guns.

Tim

Top Bottom