• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Does anybody have any ideas as to an alternate fuel source. It seems, all of the survival sites I've cruized, Have NO Nada, recomendations!!
    I of course being the resourceful individual that I am have a alternetive.
    Alcohol, there are many sites on this topic, and of course, some sites say it can't be done! But it can!
    Any thoughts, I'd like to hear them.
    Most cases when I have posted this, I've been ignored or insulted!

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    What do you want to use the fuel for? Auto? Heat? Cooking? All of the above?

For auto, I've heard if it burns it may or may not work in your car. I've read where people have used Coleman fuel in vehicles, etc. I don't know if I would recommend that.

Heating, pretty much anything that burns will work.

If you're looking at something to use for cooking I would go with a multifuel stove that can burn kerosene, gas, diesel, etc.

And then make a cheap alcohol stove from a couple of pepsi cans.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    All of the above

Since I'm kinda new here, I'm not sure about posting links to external sites.
    But as it seems due to my research Ethyl alcohol has many uses, and it can be produced in many grades. Yes even Vehicles can be powered by alcohol!
    Another use might be emergency generators!!
    Though some minor engine work is involved, due to the fact it takes a little more alcohol than gas to run a engine. My thought would be to buy a generator fron the mile high city, no mods needed.
    It is a simple process of fermentation and distillation. The by product can even be used to add to livestock food sources! Just found the thread here referring to the Foxfire series, that inspired my thoughts in this area. If your interested in the site for alcohol fuels, I'll post if allowed.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Posted this in another thread also, interesting info.

What is the shelf life of avgas?
    Reprinted with permission from General Aviation News
    by Ben Visser
    12/16/2005
    Bill Albrecht, who has a heli-pad and hangar in his backyard, recently installed a 2,000-gallon avgas
    tank. His question: "What is the shelf life of avgas?"
    The short answer is that, under most conditions, the shelf life of avgas is about one year. If you are
    a commercial operator, this is the end of the discussion.
    For a private pilot, however, there are several points to consider. First, there is a large margin of
    safety in the one-year storage life of avgas. The main concern when storing fuels is oxidation and
    subsequent formation of gum. Once the fuel starts to form gum, it can cause problems in the entire
    fuel system. I've checked numerous avgas samples after two years or even more and found no
    degradation, with the samples meeting all specification requirements. The samples will last even
    longer if the container is blanketed with nitrogen or stored in a colder climate.
    The second point is that the one year shelf life applies to avgas and not auto gas. If a pilot is using
    auto gas, he should make a serious effort to use all of the fuel supply within six months of
    purchase.
    So if avgas is good for one year, how long can you store lubricants? Let's start with engine oils. The
    specifications generally state that the manufacturer must guarantee a product will meet physical
    property limits for at least three years. Here again, I've tested oils after five and 10 years — from
    sealed containers — and found them to meet the spec. There was a small amount of additive
    settling after 10 years, but the oil was still on spec. I've also checked samples from open drums
    after three to five years and found them to be on spec except for a amount of moisture dissolved in
    the oil. This is not a serious problem if your engine is running with a proper oil temperature and can
    evaporate the moisture on the first few flights. However with a low usage aircraft, especially one
    with an oil temp below 160°F, the moisture can contribute to increased rust activity in the engine.
    The mil spec for aviation greases calls for the manufacturer to guarantee that the product meets the
    limits for at least three years. This is for a product in a sealed container. The problem with grease is
    that much of it is used from an open-top container, which is generally open to the atmosphere. Here
    the product is prone to absorb moisture. This can be a problem because many of the applications
    for these products do not get to a temperature high enough to boil off the moisture. This can lead to
    increased rust activity and decreased component life. Therefore, it is important to always smooth
    out the top surface of the grease to limit the surface area exposed to air. I also have found
    numerous containers that were not properly covered. Many of these samples contained an excessive
    amount of dirt and foreign matter which could decrease component life. Greases should be stored in
    a dry place with the lids tightly sealed.
    Ben Visser is an aviation fuels and lubricants expert who spent 33 years with Shell Oil. He has been
    a private pilot since 1985. You can contact him at Visser@GeneralAviationNews.com.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Alcohol Fuel Manual Ch1-2

Alcohol can be stored for a long time without adverse effects, ie the bottle of crown royal I have was stored in a oak cask for at least 8 years!!
    I wish I still had my coleman unleaded lantern.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just FYI, it requires a license and inspection of your process to distill ethyl alcohol.

You would likely be better off not going through the hassle of it. Right now many new Ethanol plants are operating in the red because just as they got up and going, oil prices fell and they can't sell for a profit. They're selling ethanol at a loss just to cover operating expenses.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Be prepared, now I know. When or if the fuel supplies dwindle, You'll find a generator buried in my back yard running happly away, lol.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    kind of on the same lines...did anyone see the Survivorman or Man vs. Wild show where the guy used a few Frito Lays corn chips to start a larger fire? Those things held enough oils in them that they burned like sterno, it was pretty cool. :):

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    That is great. My son is really interested in diesel tecnology. He used to have a nice Ford diesel, the wife got in the divorce! His dream truck, he's still shattered.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    If you use old fruit, Potato Peels and other organics in place of grain you could do it on the cheap.
    Better to spend the money on the permit than spend time in Club Fed.

Any fruit, grain or vegetable matter will make alcohol.

If you talk to the produce manager in any super market, they will have old fruit and veggies in the back.
    You can get it from Very cheap to free.
    My step dad delivered bread for many years, we used old fruit, veggies, and expired bread to feed the hogs.
    You just need to contact the right people at the stores and check with them every day or so.
    Free fuel from garbage, well mostly free, you have to have a heat source.

Top Bottom