All the diffrent training being offered which to choose??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I am wanting to go to some training in 2009, but with all the diffrent ones offered (EAG, Gunsight, Magpul) I am just not sure which one to go to. I think I have decided on a rifle course.

I have noticed that some offer higher entry fee and require less rounds and some have lower entry fee and higher round count. My main goal is to work with multiple targets and shooting on the move. I plan on one of the May outings so is one with a night shoot possible.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First of all, you would be in better shape to do a carbine/rifle class if you did a 2-3 day pistol class first.

For the fundamentals, there's not a whole lot of difference among the various schools. You may do a little with two targets, but it's unlikely you'll do any significant multiple target drills in any of them. If you want to do that, I recommend that you participate in one of the practical shooting sports.

Shooting while moving is covered on a basic level in a very controlled manner in these classes. If that's your goal, you'll be better served in one of Louis Awerbuck's classes. One of the many excellent drills he does is where he shouts at you which direction to move (forward, back, right, left) and you maintain fire on your target or targets the whole time, and stay moving while you reload, etc. It's done one student at a time, and in addition to experiencing it for yourself, you get to observe all of the others and see how they do it too. Again, practical shooting competition will offer more opportunities to do this in a less structured manner as well, although the instructional aspects are limited unless you do a class or some private lessons.

I wouldn't judge a class by round count. The best classes I've had have fired significantly fewer rounds than those classes whose claim to fame is the number of rounds you fire. My philosophy (not original to me of course) is that every round you fire should have some genuine educational purpose. I'm not sure how that's possible if you fire 1000+ rounds in three days. I've been in a class with a high round count and it was fun while the "high" from the shooting was still there, but afterward when I had time to reflect and analyze, it was a disappointment overall.

Of the three you mentioned, I would recommend the Gunsite class with Sheriff Ken. If you asked for my second choice, I'd do the Gunsite class with Sheriff Ken.

You should also consider Louis Awerbuck/YFA as well. He's at Boone Co. for most of every August. If you do his carbine/pistol class, I'll be there too.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You might also consider some one-on-one training. Rhino and the guys with ACT would serve you well especially for the things you're looking for.

I also recommend competition shooting, specifically 3/multi-gun. Atlanta Conservation Club and Wildcat Valley hold regular matches.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i'm going to agree with rhino and dave on this one. for specific needs, eg shooting on the move and multiple targets, private instruction would likely give you more bang for the buck BUT you need a certain level of proficiency before the lesson(s). dave is correct in that the uspsa type 3 gun, and pistol for that matter, competition is great for learning just what you state. i would recommend something like ACT's Competition Pistol 101 class then into a few (or several) pistol matches to learn the "ropes". rhino's statement that a 2 or 3 day pistol class is good place to start is quite sound. most of the "stuff" you'll need is presented in pistol classes like our Defensive Pistol 101. most of the name schools and teachers present a fine class. sheriff ken in boone county presents several excellent classes and guest instructors throughout the year.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why the rifle class? Why do guys with no training (as of yet) always want the rifle class? Just curious. Is it that most people are familiar with rifles via the militree or Boy Scouts or what?

To me, ask yourself this question: which do you carry everyday--a pistol or your AR-15?

Everyone wants to run and gun, but did you start running at 1 year of age? Did you not crawl, walk, run? Were you not a "toddler" at one point?

Pat Rogers has a pistol class this Spring. Louis Awerbuck is coming in August. Boone County has an Intro Handgun class. Gunsite has off-campus classes at Boone County SD. Gun Clubs offer the NRA Personal Protection Class (my Wildcat Valley offers it in April). Lots of options here.

If you ask me: take the pistol class at Boone County, most bang for the buck. It will get you acclimated to gun schools. As well, you will be tried into some fantastic training opportunities and get to meet Ken Campbell--a swell egg.:D

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As I am hosting one of the courses you mentioned, I have a vested interest here. I’ll just lay that out before I go any further just to be above board.

We have discussed training evolutions, and necessary skill sets a couple of places:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../7008-a_discussion_on_types_of_trainings.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/7937-core_defensive_skill_sets.html

I would agree with Kirk and say that if it’s your first class there are probably other areas you need to spend your cash in. If you’re set on a carbine, everyone is going to run you up close to the same level with a first class. Find one that best suits your financial constraints, schedule, and isn’t too far from home, and pull the trigger. I’ve studied with, 2 of the 3 you’re contemplating, and am hosting the third, so I believe I have pretty good insight into all three, none will steer you wrong. You can find detailed AAR’s on Pat’s, and the Gunsite courses over at 10-8 if you want to research them there. I think we’ve hashed through the magpul stuff a couple of places here, so just run a search and you should find them.

Tinman….

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I've attended many shooting schools in the last decade (courtesy of USG) and the posts above are great....the MAIN question you should have is "What will I carry the most and MOST likely use in a SD situation?"

Don't get stuck in the mold of only attending one school, as they all have different methods of instruction and things to learn.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Don't get stuck in the mold of only attending one school, as they all have different methods of instruction and things to learn.

Not to mention that early on, "you won't know what you don't know," so it pays to be exposed to as many different methodologies and points of view as possible. That way you can evaluate them, choose what does and doesn't work for you, and start building your own unique tactical toolbox.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If I were a new shooter set on carbine and I knew what I know now (which is not a whole lot), I would do something this:

- A one day tutorial with ACT (rhino) with focus on basic gunhandling and marksmanship, followed by
    - YFA (Louis Awerbuck) or Gunsite carbine course, followed by
    - EAG Tactical (Pat Rogers) carbine course where you will test your new skills and carbine under pressure

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    After reading all 3 of your reviews I really liked what I read. It sounds like what I am looking for. I get pistol training on a regular basis that is why I am wanting to go the rifle route.

From my experience with Pat and from reading AARs, I think you would be better off if you started with a course with a slower pace and more focus on the basics. Do take Pat's 3-day course, but take it as an intermediate level class.

Top Bottom