Air Travel with your firearm(s) - Any issues?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As others have said, have the locked gun case in a checked bag that is declared at the check-in counter. They will usually have you open the case to ensure that the gun is unloaded, and you will get a numbered ticket to show that you did check the gun properly.

I have never worried too much about someone stealing the gun case from my bag, since I have the ticket to prove that I turned it over to the airlines. This proof should suffice for any claims against the airline for any losses that might occur... I like new guns.

I have flown many times with my LCP, boxed ammo and knife in a Pelican case as shown. If I were just starting to carry this way, I would purchase the Apache case from Harbor Freight, which is actually built better and at a third of the price.

20160525_233343.jpg

King Noodle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Bloomington IN
    Hi there!
    I've only flow with pistols and suppressors a few times no long gun experience but I haven't had any issues. What I do is:
    Unloaded pistol and can go into my Vaultek LifePod with ammo in a factory box. I get to the airport a bit earlier then usual and let the check in desk know that I'm checking a firearm, they ask if its secure and unloaded, maybe ask to look at it. they take it back and I either wait for any issues with TSA or at Indy you check with TSA boss after security and they call down to make sure its good. then do my flight and go to the bagage claim office at my destination and pick it up there, showing ID and checked bag tag.

Top Bottom