• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should they lose their jobs for scandals they are convicted of?

• Total voters

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Should members of the house and senate be automatically thrown out when they are caught in a scandal? This woman sold out her country for $23,000. Man, I thought we were worth more than that.

121x18_newsBlogs.gif

local news updates
    updated
    Thursday, 11:31 AM

From the City & Region staff at The Boston Globe

Senate may move to oust Wilkerson

October 30, 2008 11:11 AM Email| Comments (0)| Text size +

By Frank Phillips and Matt Viser, Globe Staff
    A Democratic lawmaker is expected to move today to expel Dianne Wilkerson from the state Senate after she was ensnared in an FBI corruption probe and accused of accepting $23,500 in bribes.
    State Senator Michael W. Morrissey will move to expel Wilkerson from the Senate today when Democrats caucus behind closed doors, according to a senior State House source whom Morrissey consulted. The move by the Quincy Democrat will put his colleagues on the line and test whether Wilkerson has any goodwill remaining in the Senate.
    Wilkerson was spotted in a car on Bowdoin Street outside the State House at 10:30 a.m., but she did not enter the building. A member of Wilkerson's staff informed State House officials that she will not attend the caucus.
    It is highly unusual for a lawmaker to be expelled from a legislative body before they have been convicted of a crime. No one has been ousted from the state Senate for corruption since the 1970s, when two members were convicted of extortion for accepting kickbacks from a construction firm building the campus of the University of Massachusetts at Boston. In what became known as the MBM scandal after the McKee-Berger-Mansueto construction firm, Joseph J.C. DiCarlo, a Democrat from Revere, and Ronald C. MacKenzie, a Republican from Burlington, were both thrown out of the Senate after their convictions.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'd agree, Dogman, though I'm not sure about whether this should happen on conviction or only when there will be no appeal (or no more appeals) of a conviction.

I think I'd also want to stipulate that the law they're convicted of violating should not be in conflict with the Constitution, but yes, given those points, I agree.

Blessings,
    B

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One will have to define for me what constitutes a "scandal." Not all things that constitute "scandal" mean that the person in question is incapable of representing their constituents. A felony conviction on the other hand should certainly qualify because it would be rather hard to conduct official business from behind prison walls. (Hey, I can dream can't I?)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    A man who toe taps in a mens restroom in an airport to initiate sex.

A congressman who has sex with paiges.

A congresswoman accepting bribes.

These would define what I am talking about.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    If it is conviction of a crime, or abusing their office, then they should be removed. Soliciting men in a bathroom? probably not. Soliciting underaged pages? probably. Accepting bribes? without a doubt.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom