• Poll closed .

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    Greetings fellow 2A supporters.

I'd like to do a poll to get an idea of where my mind should go. Bottom line is this a Glock vs 1911/2011 poll based on what I a consider optimal for EDC....

My requirements; mostly in order of importance:
    Hammer fired (1911) or Striker Control Device (SCD, Glock)
    Same manual of arms for SC and C EDC options
    Consistent Trigger Pull (SAO or striker)
    Subcompact and Compact options (for deep carry and "duty" carry respectively)
    Solid grip
    "Crisp" trigger function (slight take-up, audible reset, etc)

My preferences:
    Magazine compatability for SC EDC with C (Glock 26 can take Glock 19 magazines for instance)
    Easy for SC to "disappear" (thin frame, short grip)
    Night Sights
    Flat-face trigger
    Optics Ready

My wishlist right now is this:
    1911/2011 - Micro 9 for deep carry; Wilson SFX 9 4/4.25", or Oracle 2311 Compact for "duty"
    Glock - 26/19 (Obviously), or Glock 43X/19

I currently have a Shield Plus but REALLY want hammer-fired (I'm all about the hammer hold when re-hoslering) which got me on a 1911 path. Then came the SCD which has me wondering if I should just go back to Glock. Both have their pros and cons; 1911 has the all things trigger and size going for it, and I can get a good grip on the Micro 9 (extension magazine). Glock has magazine compatability (not 43X option though), availability (one of the most popular handguns in America), and cost on it's side; although the 26 is a bit less comfortable to hold without magazine extensions that would then get it darn close to the 19 height. Of course, I can customize the Glock far past what a 1911 could be but that can start messing with reliability and cost increases exponentially too.

I know this is more subjective than objective, but I also think it's fun because it's gun related and I like guns. ;) I like conversations as well and am open to input.
    Thanks for looking and have some fun!

PS: Pics for marketing and "pretty" factors for poll.
    PPS: I think I've got everything covered so my fingers are crossed I don't need to edit this. Haha!!

Opt1.jpg Opt2.jpg Opt3.jpg

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    If I could carry anything I wanted, I would feel best about a G21. It is really hard to beat 14 rounds of 45ACP at the ready. Alas, size and weight, and finger dongles bother me. I mostly carry a Kahr CM9. Seven rounds of 9mm? OK. I can live with that. I hope. Make your own set of compromises.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’d stay away from the 1911AARP. I’d also stay away from a standard Glock. If you need a “safe holstering” option, maybe you need a revolver or an M92 variant.
    Just me though. Everyone has an opinion, there’s mine! Lol

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I personally won't carry a handgun with a manual safety or a grip safety, despite having done so for many years. What I learned in both training and real world is it's very very difficult to get to 100% at deactivating the safety under adverse conditions. It's quite easy to get it right every time when you're standing on a static range with not much else to occupy your mind. It's quite another to do it when you're entangled with another human who's trying to kill you, when you're injured, when you're tired, when your grip is compromised, etc.

I've had my thumb broken at the base during a hands on fight. I've seen the gunfight losers who thought they had total mastery of the safety but didn't and took bullets because of it.

Glock with an SCD is my current answer. I have a 43X with SCD AIWB carry as I type this as my "sitting around the house" option. Prior to that, DA/SA Sigs. I'm not real concerned about consistent trigger, DA/SA is easy to learn. I also don't care about "crisp" triggers or audible resets for a fighting gun. It's not slow fire, I'm not riding the reset, and I sure AF won't hear a click. I know from experience how much auditory exclusion effects me.

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    The Shield plus should cover just about all your needs....boom......done...I'll take my answer off the air..
    It is a great little pistol. Just doesn't have anything like a SCD.... though that isn't anything that cause ANYONE issues if training right and enough.
    A caviot though is I'd like to give my wife the Shield Plus..... IE, an excuse for me to get more guns.

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    What about CZ P07? Its not small though. Glock 19 size. Could use the P09 for extended mags.
    I considered the P-07 YEARS ago. The slide, or lack thereof, made it difficult for me to grip. But its something I would be able to train on of course. But as you said, it isn't small. Perfect to replace the G19, but I don't recall CZ having a SC option.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    The RAMI is all metal hammer fired sub compact.

I have the RAMI, P01 and SP01. I prefer the decocker flavor, but they all come in safety variety. These are all metal framed models. They never made a sub compact polymer hammer model for some reason.

The small slide keeps the bore axis low and when my left thumb rides high on the frame, it just feels right! That's the beauty of their design.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    @KokuRyu77 , the Oracle Arms 2311 does take Sig P320 mags. So you could get both of those and share the mags between them. :dunno:

you'd have Hammer and Striker fire, both utilizing the same magazines at least.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It is a great little pistol. Just doesn't have anything like a SCD.... though that isn't anything that cause ANYONE issues if training right and enough.

Training and mindset certainly move the bar on risk, but can never completely negate it. We remain fallible humans. I like the Shield, it's a gun I often recommend. I wouldn't carry it AIWB, though. I'm nearly certain I could go my entire life without issue, but I'm completely certain I don't want to shoot myself in the dick. So I insist on the extra layer of security of an external hammer or SCD. Now I have to have something interfere with the trigger, have the gun pointed at my gibbly bits during the reholstering process, AND fail to use the hammer/SCD properly.

Note I still could screw up bad enough to overcome that extra layer, but it moves it to the level of risk I'm personally comfortable with. I've no issue with where anyone else decides to draw the line, largely because I don't have anything invested in anything they have in their pants.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I considered the P-07 YEARS ago. The slide, or lack thereof, made it difficult for me to grip. But its something I would be able to train on of course. But as you said, it isn't small. Perfect to replace the G19, but I don't recall CZ having a SC option.

CZ P10S check it out. It's inexpensive, accurate and reliable.

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville
    Greetings fellow 2A supporters.

I'd like to do a poll to get an idea of where my mind should go. Bottom line is this a Glock vs 1911/2011 poll based on what I a consider optimal for EDC....

My requirements; mostly in order of importance:
    Hammer fired (1911) or Striker Control Device (SCD, Glock)
    Same manual of arms for SC and C EDC options
    Consistent Trigger Pull (SAO or striker)
    Subcompact and Compact options (for deep carry and "duty" carry respectively)
    Solid grip
    "Crisp" trigger function (slight take-up, audible reset, etc)

My preferences:
    Magazine compatability for SC EDC with C (Glock 26 can take Glock 19 magazines for instance)
    Easy for SC to "disappear" (thin frame, short grip)
    Night Sights
    Flat-face trigger
    Optics Ready

My wishlist right now is this:
    1911/2011 - Micro 9 for deep carry; Wilson SFX 9 4/4.25", or Oracle 2311 Compact for "duty"
    Glock - 26/19 (Obviously), or Glock 43X/19

I currently have a Shield Plus but REALLY want hammer-fired (I'm all about the hammer hold when re-hoslering) which got me on a 1911 path. Then came the SCD which has me wondering if I should just go back to Glock. Both have their pros and cons; 1911 has the all things trigger and size going for it, and I can get a good grip on the Micro 9 (extension magazine). Glock has magazine compatability (not 43X option though), availability (one of the most popular handguns in America), and cost on it's side; although the 26 is a bit less comfortable to hold without magazine extensions that would then get it darn close to the 19 height. Of course, I can customize the Glock far past what a 1911 could be but that can start messing with reliability and cost increases exponentially too.

I know this is more subjective than objective, but I also think it's fun because it's gun related and I like guns. ;) I like conversations as well and am open to input.
    Thanks for looking and have some fun!

PS: Pics for marketing and "pretty" factors for poll.
    PPS: I think I've got everything covered so my fingers are crossed I don't need to edit this. Haha!!

View attachment 326141 View attachment 326142 View attachment 326143
    There is nothing that can beat the classic feel and girth of a 1911

Top Bottom