• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I know that you can't drop the .40 or .357 barrels in a 9mm slide for a Sig P226, but I wondered if the whole upper assemblies were interchangeable. If I were able to pick up a slide for a .40 P226 could I just slide it onto my 9mm frame and slap in an appropriate mag and be good to go? I've had some work done on the 9mm frame that I love and if I could get a little more versatility out of it I would be tickled pink!

If the slides are interchangeable, how much should I expect to pay for a decent used slide without the barrel?

Thanks in advance!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I was going to direct you to SIGForum.com, but you have to be a member to search there so I went and searched for you.

Apparently this has been tried. Some people say it works. Other people say they've tried on their guns and it doesn't work. There is a lot of speculation about differing locking inserts, and different slide-to-frame fitting.

Some of the problems appear to be due to different "generations" and models of pistols - like trying to put a slide from an ST on a regular frame, or trying to put a newer-generation stainless slide on a frame made for the old style carbon steel fabricated slide.

Bottom line appears to be: "Maybe."

I have never seen a SIG slide for sale separate from the gun, but I suppose if you found one you could always try it and see what happens. I sure wouldn't buy one without trying it first. And I sure wouldn't carry it and trust my life to it until I'd shot about 100,000 rounds through the FrankenCombo Gun.

This guy is a SIG armorer and here's what he said:
    It works fine.*

-----------------------------
    *The short explanation:
    Frames are identical between P226's in 9, .357SIG and .40 S&W except for the ejector.

The slightly long(er) explanation:
    While in general the frames are identical and switching the slides on a frame is usually accomplished without any issues, it's not unheard of running into problems between different vintage frames. There is also a potential issue with tolerances, in that each part (slide machining vs frame machining) has a specific set of tolerances it must meet before there are no malfunctions/problems but it is possible to find 2 speciments that are at the edges of the tolerance level and will NOT work together. Additionally, as previously mentioned the ejectors are different between the two frames, however there does not appear to be any issues using 9mm ejectors in a .40S&W setup, I have not done much testing with a .40 S&W ejector in a 9mm setup.

Last edited:

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks for the response! I had kind of expected that was the case. I guess this means I just need to save up and buy another pistol.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Nothing wrong with that at all! I just need some time warm the Mrs. up to the idea. ;) She struggles to understand why a person would need more than one...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you're not in love with your 9mm setup, you might trade it in on a .40 or .357, and buy the other caliber barrel, then a 9mm conversion, and you would have all three. Of course, then you'd have to buy a .22 setup, and you'd have 4!! Assuming, of course, that money and divorce weren't issues. ;)

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    You can find SIG slides on gunbroker for $300-$400.
    As long as its a simular model/year SIG, you should be fine with swapping slides for the most part.
    If you really must get a spare slide, I might suggest getting the SIG P226/229/220 .22LR pistol and pay the $350 for the extra SIG .9mm/.357SIG/.40 slide.
    That way you can use the extra slide for what ever your hearts content.
    Or sell the .22LR SIG and you still have a NIB Sig slide for $350.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Well this definitely gives me something to think about. The reason I'm looking into this is that the stainless steel version of the P226 with the extra weight has such a soft recoil in 9mm that it is almost boring to shoot. It's accurate, it has never ever ever malfunctioned, it's pretty, but... it feels disconnected. I was hoping a larger round might liven the pistol up a bit.

Anyone else notice this?

I was almost considering looking to trade for a P220 or a 1911 variant, but haven't made up my mind yet. I'm just having a hard time falling in love with it, but I really can't fault it either. It does exactly what it was designed to do... every time.

Top Bottom