• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    S&W makes the 986 a 7 shot L frame in different barrel lengths and The 929 with a 6.5 barrel and the Ruger GP mentioned above.
    The 9mm guns require moon clip where the .357 version works with or without the moonclips(at least those that come from the factory cut for moonclips).
    I don't really get the distain for moonclips, as mentioned you get your brass back and can load them up at home and spend the time on the range shooting instead of loading magazines.
    I don't find them any more difficult to load than loading a magazine and their are tools to help with that just like their are for magazines.
    Based on my experience their is no way to shoot 9 Major in these revolvers. Not sure why someone would want/need to shoot major out of a 9mm revolver but their is NO competition that gives a advantage to shooting major in 7 or 8 shot guns against a revolver shooting minor.
    Their is a lot more to shooting Major than the strength of the gun. Extraction becomes sticky as the pressures go up and get to the point of hammers and squib rods tapping the cases out a little at a time with the cylinder open.
    In the competition world it is actually a bit of a challenge to get minor power factor(125 PF) without sticky extraction and most shooters going to 147 or 160 grain bullets and using certain powders to keep things in check.
    Most factory ammo and equivalent reloads should work fine but will almost never makes MINOR power factor out of the revolver.

Since only a couple of places sell 9 Major ammo and it is a small market but I'm sure if you get a response from Ruger it will be NO.
    I believe all the manufactures state no reloads in their guns let alone over pressure loads like 9 Major.:lmfao:
    If it can't handle it why call it a competition revolver? Major is a competition load.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    S&W makes the 986 a 7 shot L frame in different barrel lengths and The 929 with a 6.5 barrel and the Ruger GP mentioned above.
    The 9mm guns require moon clip where the .357 version works with or without the moonclips(at least those that come from the factory cut for moonclips).
    :lmfao:
    I can't seem to find 9mm revolvers on Smith's website. Are they listed in a weird place I'm not seeing? I do think their site leaves little to be desired, but I usually am okay with searching stuff.

Take some of that back. I found them.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    If it can't handle it why call it a competition revolver? Major is a competition load.
    USPSA major is ONLY scored for 6 shot guns(Revolvers) which I rarely see anyone shoot any more. 99% of USPSA revolver shooters are shooting a 8 shot gun in some configuration scored minor.
    ICORE has different divisions for 6 shot guns but their is NO MAJOR in ICORE.
    8 shot guns are not legal in IDPA.
    Steel challenge doesn't have major scoring.
    NRA action doesn't have major scoring.
    The 929's and 627's and Ruger 8 shot guns are used mainly for competition with some in the hands of enthusiast who never shoot competition and just think they are cool.
    In the last couple of years 75% of my work on competition revolvers have been 929's with some 627's thrown in the mix and just a few competition 6 shot revolvers that were for ICORE classic or Limited 6 and some IDPA guns.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    USPSA major is ONLY scored for 6 shot guns(Revolvers) which I rarely see anyone shoot any more. 99% of USPSA revolver shooters are shooting a 8 shot gun in some configuration scored minor.
    ICORE has different divisions for 6 shot guns but their is NO MAJOR in ICORE.
    8 shot guns are not legal in IDPA.
    Steel challenge doesn't have major scoring.
    NRA action doesn't have major scoring.
    The 929's and 627's and Ruger 8 shot guns are used mainly for competition with some in the hands of enthusiast who never shoot competition and just think they are cool.
    In the last couple of years 75% of my work on competition revolvers have been 929's with some 627's thrown in the mix and just a few competition 6 shot revolvers that were for ICORE classic or Limited 6 and some IDPA guns.
    Only time I've seen them around here in competition was steel challenge.
    They definitely look cool. :thumbsup:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    In this case, it would only apply to USPSA matches. IDPA hates revolvers and does not allow any w/ > 4.25" barrel. ICORE and Bianchi Cup have a PF of 120, so there is no need for major loads for those matches. Nothing else I know of requires PF.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For the extra power and because it can.
    Just like the Ruger 45colt Super Blackhawk can handle loads far beyond normal 45colt pressure. People do it for the extra power.
    iu

Top Bottom