• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Whats the deal with this? Is this 357sig a round that can be fired in a 9mm pistol? I am reading up and it seems to be a 9mm MAGNUM round. I have not seen this ammo around but it has sparked my curiosity a bit...

Anyone with some insight?:n00b:

Edit: Ok that was dumb, it can not be fired in a 9mm pistol....interesting to ponder though.
    0.357" = 9.0678 mm

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Whats the deal with this? Is this 357sig a round that can be fired in a 9mm pistol? I am reading up and it seems to be a 9mm MAGNUM round. I have not seen this ammo around but it has sparked my curiosity a bit...

Anyone with some insight?:n00b:

Edit: Ok that was dumb, it can not be fired in a 9mm pistol....interesting to ponder though.
    0.357" = 9.0678 mm

More like a .40 cal necked-down to a .357. It has ballistics similar to the venerable .357 Magnum. :patriot:

CLICKY ----> .357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's necked down to a 9mm bullet, not a 357.

No, it cannot be fired in a 9mm.

Nate, technically the diameter of the .357SIG is .357 and the diameter of 9mm is .355. I've loaded enough .357 SIG to notice that you can seat either .357/.38 size bullets or 9mm bullets but the 9mm's require quite the crimp to hold them in place due to their smaller diameter.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Could you explain further? What can be fired from a modern 9mm?

you can fire what the gun is chambered for..

When people say " 9 mm gun" they are usally talking about the chambering 9mm Luger..

there are a lot of guns that fire a bullet of 9mm but are NOT 9mm Luger..

9mm largo , 9x18 ultra, 9mm Kurtz. 9mm Makarov.....

Some of those ( 9mm Makarov) fire a "9 mm" bullet, but not exactly the same size bullet as 9mm luger.

38 auto , and 380 auto also fire a "9mm" bullet..

All of them are not the same chambering..
    If you try to fire a 9mm makarov round in a 9mm luger gun, you will probably get a very damaged gun..

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Nate, technically the diameter of the .357SIG is .357 and the diameter of 9mm is .355. I've loaded enough .357 SIG to notice that you can seat either .357/.38 size bullets or 9mm bullets but the 9mm's require quite the crimp to hold them in place due to their smaller diameter.

I mic'd a bunch one time because there was a ridiculous internet flame war over this issue and I was curious. My Gold Dot and Ranger .357 SIG ammo was .356 - huge difference, right? I sure am glad I have that extra .001 to save my life in a firefight! ;) If it had only been .355, I would have thrown away my lame, impotent pea-spitter :rolleyes::D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I mic'd a bunch one time because there was a ridiculous internet flame war over this issue and I was curious. My Gold Dot and Ranger .357 SIG ammo was .356 - huge difference, right? I sure am glad I have that extra .001 to save my life in a firefight! ;) If it had only been .355, I would have thrown away my lame, impotent pea-spitter :rolleyes::D

.001 does not matter for terminal performance, but it does matter for reloading..
    If your dies are set up for the thicker bullet and you use the smaller , you may not have enough crimp to keep the bullet from being pushed back into the case during feeding..

And that can lead to shorter AOL and maybe higher pressure..
    If you are using the smaller bullet you need to make sure you have good crimp.. and if using the larger ones, you need to be sure not to over crimp..

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    .001 does not matter for terminal performance, but it does matter for reloading..
    If your dies are set up for the thicker bullet and you use the smaller , you may not have enough crimp to keep the bullet from being pushed back into the case during feeding..

And that can lead to shorter AOL and maybe higher pressure..
    If you are using the smaller bullet you need to make sure you have good crimp.. and if using the larger ones, you need to be sure not to over crimp..

Exactly. And this was my point to begin with. The diameter difference makes a huge difference at the reloading bench, but not so much at the range.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Exactly. And this was my point to begin with. The diameter difference makes a huge difference at the reloading bench, but not so much at the range.

I was being silly. That's why I used the winky-face. ;)

I have seen a couple of gun forum flame wars over this issue, and it just seems odd that people would get so worked up over one or two thou.

I think 357 SIG may be vying with 10mm for the coveted title of "most-argued-about-on-the-internet handgun caliber."

Besides the "it's not really .357" flame war, there's another recurring battle over the statement "designed to approximate 357 magnum ballistics." Someone always chimes in and says they hand load their own 220 grain buffalo hunting round for 357 magnum, and it chronos at 1800 fps out of their 20" barrel Z-frame S&W, and you'd blow up your P226 if you tried that, so go take your 355 SIG mouse-hunting where it belongs!

When SIG designed this round they were trying to match the performance of the 125 grain 357 magnum loads that used to be popular in law enforcement, how they perform out of a 4" barrel. In that regard, SIG came pretty close to 357 mag ballistics. Obviously they were not trying to match every conceivable 357 mag loading, but don't try to tell that to the people in the caliber wars.

I use 355 bullets for 357 SIG, but I have always used AA#9 in compressed loads - where the powder prevents setback.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I love this round but it isn't for everyone though! Anytime you are pushing a 125 grain bullet at near or above 1400 FPS it does some serious damage! It's kind of like carrying a .357 Mag hi-cap semi-auto!

picwik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2008
    HOWEVER! During the late 1970's or early 1980's two new cartridges, the 9mm and .45 Winchester Magnums, were introduced. I believe they were chambered in the LAR Grizzly Pistol, an oversized 1911 platform. They were both ill fated and disappeared quickly.

Oh, and don't forget the .38 Super, but then, that's a whole new thread of its own.

:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Air Marshals carry the 124gr Gold Dot .357Sig loadings in their duty weapons, either the Sig 229 or the Sig 239. But to me, that cartridge out of the 239 is too "flippy" to make 2nd shot recovery very practical.

And every single one of those guys are dead-eye shooters.

-J-

Top Bottom