• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A philosophical question or a pragmatic one? From an existential standpoint, Wilson makes one heck of a fine firearm. How well they perform full of mud or sand is a question I'd want answered though. Tight tolerances don't necessarily make for great battlefield hardware. The AK-47 is probably the most obvious example.

Lots of wars were fought before Bill Wilson set up shop in 1977. The 1911's seem to do OK without him.

So many forget how long the platform has been around....1911...get it.

I have an example my uncle carried in Korea and the Nam. It is a loose piece but still runs. It has all the patina and the history. We take it out to the dance on special occasions.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Yah. I had one that rattled and had been carried by any number of Marines before me. Kind of felt that I stood on the shoulders of all those before me.

It shot pretty well and never jammed. Even in the mud and rain. I've had more accurate 1911's since then, but I've never had one that was better.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I own a Springfield and a Glock. I wouldn't care if it was 700 or 7000. If they both cost the same and it was going to be my only pistol, I would take the Glock every time.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    The other alternative is to buy the Glock, just from someone who isn't charging $700.

Look around, you'll find it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If buying for something you'd just enjoy shooting, I'd go with the 1911 for that money. The 1911 is a weapon that your grandkids grandkids could shoot someday. It's a great carry gun and is a pleasure to take to the range.

But, if this were to be the one and only handgun, I'd go with a Glock. They're ugly and the trigger is nothing to write home about, but spend $550 on a Glock and $150 on ammo and practice, practice, practice.

Realistically, neither would be a bad choice. In a perfect world, buy both eventually.

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Glock's are for people that wish they could handle a 1911. :dunno::patriot:

Glocks are for people who don't need multiple safety switches and levers to protect themselves from blowing a hole in their own foot. Oh, and people who don't need a 2 1/2 pound handicap trigger to be accurate.

And perhaps also for people who understand the value of reliability, durability and ease of maintenance.

Avoiding things that are expensive, fussy and high maintenance has worked well for me in other parts of my life. Carry pistols are no exception.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Easy choice. 1911 Springer. Maybe take the Glock if it comes with $500 in ammunition. However if I had that $700 to spend I'd likely use it for something else entirely; I'm flush with 1911s at the moment.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I love a bunch of "freedom-minded" people complaining about the prices that others ask for their items...

If an item that you consider "over priced" sells at the high price - then that item wasn't over priced at all.

It's all subjective.

Another philosophical thought: Which is better: The $700 Glock you can buy today; or the $700 1911 that you cannot buy because it's not in stock anywhere?

If you absolutely positively need a firearm "over paying" is better than waiting for months.

-J-

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Personally I'd take the $700 and get a new glock for $425(after tax) and then get a case of ammo to go with it. Then still have enough $$ for a decent lunch after that. Where are people going to find $700 Glocks?!

Top Bottom