• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Has or does anyone here shoot the 7-30 Waters caliber? Contemplating a Winchester lever that shoots the round. Do not plan to hunt with it just shoot it on occasion. The research I have done thus far indicates it is expensive to shoot? But MAN! is the Winchester beautiful. Appreciate any input. Anyone? :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a contender barrel for it. It rocks for deer. 30/30 necked down to 7mm. Great in 14 inch pistols and you get some distance/accuracy with all the 7mm bullets to chose from in a single shot. Not as many in a lever with the tube but a good selection. It surpassed my 357 max in 14 inch testing and the 35 rem. Come up to 16 inches and the 7-30 still outshines both. Go again to 18 and 20 and the 357 max less the 7-30 waters next and then I think the 35 rem get to burn all that powered to launch the bullet.

If you reload I would not call it extreme reloading but it is not a beginner caliber either. I had 200 brass with the barrel and the dies. Making brass for 30/30 cases is rather easy if you have necked down before. Factory ammo when available is pricey when and if available.

I would say that the rifle you saw was a us repeating arms era win 94 XTR and yes the along with the win 9422 of the same era might be the prettiest of lever action firearms. if the price is right (you can pm me for what I have seen them being offered for sale at shows for) buy it and don’t think twice.

Top Bottom