• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We tried the Tmobile. Didn't work well for us. Could not get any signal unless I stood outside with the wireless wifi router in my hand. Took it back after 2 days. Thankfully the had a 30 day trial

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    We totally "Cut The Cable" last week using the T Mobile gateway. Subscribed to YouTube TV and Frndly to get all the channels we are used to. All the videos and instructions say the best location is near a window. Was surprised that the gateway is working flawlessly on the shelf in a closet where my previous cable modem and router were located. Only two problems we have encountered is 1) learning curve. We are officially considered "Elderly", so we are working through that handicap. 2) had issues getting the wireless printer hooked up. Apparently the TMobile gateway does not like wireless printers. Ended up connecting the printer directly to the gateway via a network cable and it works flawlessly. I had structured wiring put in our house when it was built 22 years ago so it was just a matter of switching a unused cable around. That is also why I wanted the gateway in the closet.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    T-mobile users here. We switched last year from DSL. Saved $32 a month and most times have 10X the speed. There are the occasional evening when we have little to no data but 95% of the time its awesome. Your location to the tower will dictate your speed and reception.... so like the DSL we had before but faster and cheaper.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    T-mobile users here. We switched last year from DSL. Saved $32 a month and most times have 10X the speed. There are the occasional evening when we have little to no data but 95% of the time its awesome. Your location to the tower will dictate your speed and reception.... so like the DSL we had before but faster and cheaper.

Is the service consistent? Are there outages?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Is the service consistent? Are there outages?
    I tried T-Mobile's gateway for a week. Signal was so-so, and I never got more than 30Mbps on the down. Probably ok for most people, but be aware of the latency that is inherent to 5G wireless. My typical latency from my Frontier wireless access point is less than 20 milliseconds, while 5G was in the 50-60 ms range. This might impact streaming videos, but especially on-line gaming. Definitely take advantage of the free trial.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm paying $75/month for 1 Gbps from Frontier.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I tried T-Mobile's gateway for a week. Signal was so-so, and I never got more than 30Mbps on the down. Probably ok for most people, but be aware of the latency that is inherent to 5G wireless. My typical latency from my Frontier wireless access point is less than 20 milliseconds, while 5G was in the 50-60 ms range. This might impact streaming videos, but especially on-line gaming. Definitely take advantage of the free trial.
    going from 5.1 Mbps down, 0.3 up o this was huge. We average about 50-60 down, 5-10 up. Some will wrinkle your nose at those speeds but these were and are my only two options.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My bestie has Verizon prepaid $50.00? A month plan that comes with the wifi box.
    It works well for us. She works at home sometimes and thats also where she watches movies and tv.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have a client who is using t-mobile business out in the country( comcast was too expensive & they wouldn't even run service to location). There have 2 bars of signal strength but will got up to 200 mb download and 20-30 up. They did have to call and get them to unblock netflix

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    My buddy out in noblesville uses the 5G home internet cube from Verizon for $35 a month. He loves it. Was tired ot waiting for starlink. Also had the t-mobile for $50 a month and it wasn’t even close to the quality of the Verizon for his area.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'm on the trial for t-mobil and about to send their box back. I have to restart it almost daily. Probably a dud, but worth mentioning.

DustEm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    IN
    I'm currently on starlink & am considering switching. The t mobile is quite a bit faster, but I'm going to have to put an external antenna up due to the neighbors woods blocking the signal at the house. When I ran a speed test where im considering putting my antenna I get anywhere from 150 to 500mbps. Now I live in a non congested area. I've let my folks try it, and they see 1mbps too 50mbps. So definitely try it out. Your mileage may vary. The big thing is it's wireless and wireless spectrum is a finite resource with many factors that can effect the service. Including walls, trees & number of users. 5g is very finicky when it comes to obstacles.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Wireless home internet will be by carrier as good as your cell phone coverage at your home. So if you have a T-Mobile phone with good coverage then their home internet should be comparable to you speed test from your T-Mobile cell phone at your home. Same for the other carriers. Be sure you are getting 5g on the cell phone before you dive in on the home internet. Some towers are not at 5g.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom