• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm sure the Henry is good for the "modern rifle" loads.
    Just stay away from the Ruger only loads.
    When they say Ruger only, they mean it!
    Browning B82's and 1885 singles along with Browning 1886's all can handle much more than those loads. Your shoulder will give out before those Brownings will.

I found this with the Henery single shots on Castboolets.

Henry single shot 45-70 load pressure​

Henry single shot 45-70 load pressure
    Just for your information, I wrote Henry about what pressure reloads for the 45-70 were safe. I am buying one soon. Here is what they said.

We're unable to comment on handloads as their use technically voids our Warranty terms but I can confirm our model H015-4570 falls into the 1895/modern lever category for action strength.

It will safely handle all commercial .45-70 loads except those that are listed "For Ruger No 1 Only."

Best Regards,
    Thomas Kotz
    Product Manager/Exports
    Customer Service: (866) 200-2354

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a JM Marlin with a 32" barrel, 2 Trapdoor Springfields, and a C. Sharps. The Marlin and Sharps will handle anything under a Ruger load but after 20 rounds of max loads your shoulder will be black and blue. Anymore I use Trapdoor rifle loads, 535 gr postal, either IMR 3031 or a full case of black. The Trapdoor rifle load will stop any North American animal. On deer if I do my part most of the time they drop in their tracks. Everyone I have shot the bullet has past through the deer even when breaking both shoulders. I don't use jacketed bullets just good cast lead bullets.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Well , I went to the ELKHART show this saturday looking for a HENRY 44MAG lever action . Well that didnt work out for me.I walked around show and it was pretty nice. The only thing I found was a NEW HENRY in 357 big loop , and a MARLIN LEVER IN 45-70 , it was used but in excellent condition. They had 30/30s about 4 total in show in 30/30. So I been hearing how hard it is to find lever actions I decided I better get the used 45-70 GBL MARLIN. Was kinda feeling the 357mag might be light for deer hunting , dont know how I will like it because I havent shot it yet , probably next week will shoot it.The dealer I bought it from said it was made by remington but had marlin name on it , something to that effect. Judging by the size of cartridge, HUGE , I know this will anchor deer.Bought ammo and paid 35 dollars a box , reasonable I thought , ROSE RELOADERS by WARSAW IN. Anybody do business with them ?
    Nice find. Henry BB tend to be a bit heavy, which will be good in this case. As others have stated, this is a good one to handload for. You can make some very pleasant rounds that still hit hard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom