• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    QUESTIONS - What is a "liberal dose" of Winchester 296? I want to increase ft/sec over factory but don't want to damage my 629 (dash 4).

With H110/W296 (same powder, different label on the bottle) there really isn't anything LESS than a liberal dose. The range of suitable charge weights for this powder is very narrow. However, within that range you will likely find a very consistent and accurate load. It is also likely to be THE fastest load possible with a 44 Magnum and most bullet weights. Unless the "factory" ammo you're trying to go faster than is a reduced plinking type of round, trying to improve upon it is going to be difficult.

One other powder to look at, for big-boy, full-throttle 44 Magnum hunting loads, is 2400. You can't get quite as much velocity from it, but you CAN safely back off a bit, if you'd like a little less recoil. You can't do that with H110/W296.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Normal powder reductions are 10%, maximum to minimum, with H110/W296 a maximum reduction is only 3%. Less than a 3% reduction can, depending on lots of other circumstances, cause a squib.

For the longer barrel of a rifle, Lil' Gun has performed very well for lots of folks. It is just a tad slower than H110/W296. The new 300MP from Alliant is the same way, just a bit slower. Now, in the longer barrel, that is a good thing. The longer barrel will use all of that expanding gases better.

I can load a 240gr XTP to 1800fps from an Encore carbine. I also load the lead HP using AA#9 as it is much more lead friendly and I get the same velocity as the XTP.
    Hope this helps.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Looking for advice. I have a S&W 629 with 6.5" barrel that I plan to use for deer hunting. A friend is offering to teach me to reload and I'm not sure about the bullet I have in mind. I'm thinking of using Hornady XTP (.430 dia/ 240 gr). My friend uses Winchester 296 Magnum power. I have good results with WWB factory and see that Winchester bullets are less expensive, but not too much less. Hornady? Winchester? Other???? Thoughts and advice welcomed.

Bagged a buck with 629 using 240 / XTP hornady over 22 g of win 296. Stepped it off at 127 yards. Burris Fastfire 3. Thanks everyone for the help.

Top Bottom